Grand Prix 2015 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

There is something - indeed, almost everything - different about the Monaco Grand Prix. Free practice will take place on Thursday, and F1 will take Friday off. The race will be 40km shorter despite having more laps than any other Grand Prix, and its winners will jump out of the car straight to the 'podium', which will be made up, simply, of a red carpet. Most strikingly, Bernie Ecclestone does not ask for a fee from the organisers in order to include the Grand Prix in his Championship.

The track is old: it has scarcely changed since 1929. The building of the Ranier III Swimming Stadium in 1972 still represents the biggest change that has ever been made to the course. It is very slow by Formula One standards - pole laps frequently average less than 100mph, and the shortening of the distance does not prevent the winning time pushing over one and three-quarter hours even when the red flag has not been thrown. Some of that is also because the Safety Car is so much more likely to appear.

The Safety Car doesn't prevent overtaking in Monaco too much more than the layout itself does - with the pole sitter having won every dry Grand Prix there since 2004, with 2008 standing as the only wet event in that period, won by Lewis Hamilton from third having planted the wall at exactly the right moment! Track position is vital; an undercut is difficult to pull off, and passing someone on dodgy tyres is staggeringly hard. Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso found in 2011 that the only overtaking that occurs in Monaco is when they were overtaken by events.

Winning at Monaco is an interesting achievement. It can certainly underline your reputation as a great (Senna's 6, Schumacher's 5 and Prost's 4), although there are some conspicuous absentees (Clark, Piquet, Mansell). Some find a groove there that they don't maintain elsewhere (Webber, Coulthard, Trintignant), and some have their solitary moment in the sun there (Trulli, Panis, Beltoise). Either way, those that win at Monaco will tell you it is the best circuit on the calendar to win on. Graham Hill's legend will always be founded upon his achievements here.

Who will be the 2015 winner? Following on from Catalan victory, Nico Rosberg will be heartened by his own form in the principality, having won dominantly in each of the last two years. He'll also enjoy that Monaco has never served as a favoured circuit to his team-mate Hamilton (whose only win came courtesy of said lucky walling, and has not finished ahead of a team-mate who actually completed the distance otherwise), and has certainly not favoured Ferrari (who have only won there 8 times from their 61 attempts, and have not taken a victory there since 2001). Although the differences at Monaco are often exaggerated, sometimes constructors do find the circuit to their liking if they focus more on aerodynamics than power, which suggests that this may be Red Bull's best chance to challenge Williams this season.

However, predicting what might happen on a Monaco race day is often a fools' game. It could well be a tedious procession, but it could well be full of drama - a good position can often be thrown into the ubiquitous Armco, the lack of new engines for this circuit could lead to one going pop or a frustrated move down at the Grand Hotel could lead to a front-wing buckling. Last year, lest we forget, Jules Bianchi achieved his one-and-only points finish in Formula One - the only points for the new-for-2010 teams in 5 years of trying. There have been many tedious processions here, but there has been 1970, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2008 and 2011 too. Lets hope to add 2015 to that illustrious list.

Interestingly Alan Permane of Lotus tweets that on the lap Verstappen crashed into the back of him, Grosjean actually lifted off 5m later than the previous lap and braked 5m later as well. So in my head I'm thinking he must've been braking really early on the previous laps.

It's the second time in recent years an inexperienced "loose cannon" has caused a very negative impact on a result. I don't care how good Verstappen is or what promise he has, he bought out the safety car which cost Hamilton the race. The other time of course was when Grosjean damn near took Alonso's head off at Spa and Alonso went on to loose the title by four points. Although there were other reasons that contributed to his loss I've always believed Alonso's DNF at Spa cost him the title. I hope Hamilton doesn't loose the title by less than 10 points because that's what Verstappen cost him.

I really don't think as you describe " an inexperienced loose cannon," which I agree with in your assessment of Verstappen, will cost Hamilton the championship. Watching the race I really was worried about him bringing out a safety car.

Grosjean actions at Spa in 2012 is something that I will never forget. That dumb :censored: move that he made at the start of the race, nearly cost Fernando his life.

Grosjean actions at Spa in 2012 is something that I will never forget. That dumb :censored: move that he made at the start of the race, nearly cost Fernando his life.

Oh what media inspired nonesense. Nearly every driver out there has pulled some misguided move which has led to a dangerous crash. Motor racing is a dangerous sport and that is one of the consequence of it. Don't hate a driver for making an error that leads to one - hate him for not learning from the mistake. I think its quite clear Grosjean has.

I'm interested Lewywo4 do you hold such strong language and none forgiveness for drivers who don't slow down for yellow flags? Logically you should as they have made a consious decision not to slow down when they know there is danger and are not only putting other drivers at risk but track marshalls too.

As probaly 75% of drivers have done this at somepoint you must really hate nearly all the field including Fernando Alonso whose life you were so worried about as he is a repeat offender!

You must feel this way or your being really unfair on Grosjean.

Last edited:
Romain has learned a lot since then he took his race ban and he came back all the better for it, unfortunately Maldonado has learned nothing in his years of being an F1 pilot, Max Verstappen has exceeded all of my expectations (Which were not that high I admit.) I believe he is true star for the future.

The leap from Max causing a safety car and thus being the cause of Hamilton's misfortunes is simply, well to be honest I have no words to describe that particular line of thought, you may as well say that England didn't win the World cup in 2014 because FIFA took a bribe 20 years ago.

If a butterfly beats it's wings in the Amazon rain forest Lewis misses out on winning his third WDC..

Last edited:
Lewis does rely on the pit wall, but at times disagreed with them more that some will acknowledge. As a matter of fact disregarded them last season both at Hungary and Monza, for a podium finish and race win.......Good on him....:)

I just can't understand why the strategist immediately didn't realize that Verstappen's crash, and the way that he had buried that car in the barriers, would take some time to fix, leaving only 14 laps left in the race, and eliminating any need for a Hamilton pit stop.

Hamilton didn't need a pitstop whether the safety car had been out for 1 lap or 20. Without a safety car everyone would have gone to the end without issue.

Oh what media inspired nonesense. Nearly every driver out there has pulled some misguided move which has led to a dangerous crash. Motor racing is a dangerous sport and that is one of the consequence of it. Don't hate a driver for making an error that leads to one .

If I don't forget when a driver does a dumb :censored: move, doesn't mean that I hate him.

But if those behind him had pitted for new supersoft tyres they would have been much quicker and easily able to pass him for the win.

Oh wait...
And that's it in an absolute nutshell. The only scenario that they should have brought him in is if they felt the tyres would actually fail. Otherwise all you need do is a Senna-on-Mansell and it's champers all round.

Back
Top Bottom