Grand Prix 2015 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

F1 is back in Austria for 71 laps of the 2.688 mile track. 9 corners, a giant metal bull and enough sugary caffeine drink to give you heart palpitations. This is the Red Bull Ring.

At this point in the championship last year Nico arrived here 22 points ahead of Lewis, and was hoping to increase that gap.

What happened next nobody expected. Williams secured a front row lock out in Qualifying giving Massa the teams first pole position since 2003. Nico could only manage 3rd and Lewis had a shocker down in 9th.

Qualifying pace and race pace are however different things, and the Williams couldn’t live with the Mercedes despite the Mercs nursing brake issues for most of the race. Nico secured the win doing enough to stay ahead of a chasing Hamilton in 2nd, a position helped by an amazing first lap from Lewis where he made up 5 places. Bottas fought valiantly for 3rd and his first ever podium. Massa came home in 4th.

Despite this being the home of Redbull, the team had a bit of a nightmare. With a Retirement for Sebastian (thank you boys) Vettel, and just an 8th for Dan. This home advantage thing isn’t as important as it would appear. With the year they are having (yeh no it’s Renaults fault I tells yah) its hard to see Dan and Dan doing much better this time round either.

So here we are 8 races into the season, just shy of half distance, and the Merecedes boys have, pending any cataclysms, got both championships sown up. Its hard to see anyone catching them at this point barring miracles.

Lewis has a 17 point lead and is back on top after Canada with Nico looking like he is running out of answers. If Nico is to stay in the fight he needs to win here. Otherwise the points gap and his mental doubt could build into an avalanche.

Ferrari upgrades bring them in closer to the Mercs but they still need to find at least half a second. Good result for Kimi last time out baring the spin (not my fault guv).

The thing I am most looking forward to is seeing if Williams can do the same as they did last year. I always enjoy seeing a smiley Claire Williams. Everything crossed for them to at least beat the Ferraris.

Hopefully McLaren can avoid another double DNF, but even if they do I'm sure they will say they are still improving. Alonso will be hoping to just finish after 3 DNF’s in a row.

Most people in the CTA pole scored this 7 out of ten last year. Lets hope it’s as good this year.

Highlights from last year.

screenshot.24.jpg

Last edited:
Just to put that into context because I went and checked, after 8 races with Peugeot, McLaren were joint 4th in the constructors championship with one second and two thirds to their name.

I think Hamiltons 5 second penalty for crossing the white line at the pit lane exit is a nonsense. His intention, very clearly, was to drive the entire exit lane and leave properly, which he did. Halfway up the lane, he wobbled and two wheels strayed outside the line, but he corrected it and continued inside the lines.
I know rules are rules, but where is the intelligent interpretation in that decision ?
Of course he is in Austria, and he isn't blue eyed, or Arien.

Last edited:
Can we not even joke about the 'is it coz I is black/Austrian's are Nazis thing'? Its only going to drag the thread down the wrong path. Penalty was given by the driver steward anyways and nothing to do with anyone Austrian (including both the men who hired and championd Lewis at Merc).

He crossed the line. The rule is a penalty when you cross the line. We know it was an error but once you start bending a rule then someone will try and bend it even more. Next people will be arguing they were only 2moh over the pit lane speed limit and it'll be chaos.

It was 5 seconds on his race time and cost him the total sum of jack all so is it worth jumping up and down about?

Last edited:
cider_and_toast you might want to check that. Mclaren Peugeot was 1994.

(I took you like away)

Yep, 1994. After 8 races they scored 2 thirds (both by Mika) in San Marino and Britain and 1 Second by Brundle in Monaco.

They were joint 4th in the constructors at the end of the British GP tied on 14 points with Jordan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_Grand_Prix_results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_British_Grand_Prix

Apology accepted and now may I have my like back ?? LOL

Well done Nico Rosberg - clearly was the better driver all week

Ferrari - disappointing again:disappointed:

Williams - lucky to get a podium hopefully can kick start their challenge to Ferrari

Force India - good performance especially Hulkenberg in taking advantage of the other bigger teams struggling

Red Bull :wave: if you want to clear off after another resounding beating

Lotus - Pastor provided the entertainment without crashing for once

Mclaren - well what can I say? Absolutely pathetic - a bloody tractor can beat them because its slow but reliable >:(which is more than I see about this legendary team. No one will want to sponsor Mclaren on this showing

Ron Dennis you deserve a :spank:

So....if this was a track were Merc was vulnerable......I don't think am bothered to watch the rest of the season.

Merc are not vulnerable at any track they don't even run their engines at 100% yesterday I heard the team radio saying to Rosberg go to strat 7 and later telling Lewis to go to strat 9 I am assuming strat 10 is the highest setting but before this race I have never heard them saying to their drivers to go to anything higher than strat 5.

Interview with Lewis on the radio this morning and he was complaining about a new clutch which wasn't to his liking. Nico doesn't appear to be having too many problems but then F1 is won or lost on fractions.

LOL

I was about to post a comment saying, if it's a legends parade, where is Christian Danner and low and behold, in the last picture, there he is !! He scored the same number of points in his career as McLaren have scored all season so far !!

Interview with Lewis on the radio this morning and he was complaining about a new clutch which wasn't to his liking. Nico doesn't appear to be having too many problems but then F1 is won or lost on fractions.
Apparently Mercedes have reverted to their old clutch, which Rosberg prefers and Hamilton doesn't.
Hamilton prefers the new clutch, but it is less consistent and Rosberg doesn't like it, hence why Hamilton was getting better starts than him until the change back to the old clutch.

Seems to me like they should give each driver their preference if that's the case.

I wonder if they are concerned about the problems they had last year with different brakes on the two cars? Perhaps tough for the engineers to set up two different systems for all the electronics. Do we need to start a new conspiracy about how Mercedes are favouring Rosberg? ;)

It has to be said, I've seen Hamilton looking happier on podiums even when he hasn't won, than he did this weekend. Bit of an off weekend all round for him really. The 'fan boost' of a home GP should fix that.

As for which clutch, there must be a reason why they wouldn't give the driver what he wants in terms of feel and you wouldn't have thought that the set up would be vastly different given that things like bight points are set up electronically.

The clutch is only ever used at the start and in pit stops so I can't see that making much of a difference in a whole race as it would make zero difference to the drivalitety of the car, this excuse just seems like nonsense to me...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom