Grand Prix 2015 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

F1 is back in Austria for 71 laps of the 2.688 mile track. 9 corners, a giant metal bull and enough sugary caffeine drink to give you heart palpitations. This is the Red Bull Ring.

At this point in the championship last year Nico arrived here 22 points ahead of Lewis, and was hoping to increase that gap.

What happened next nobody expected. Williams secured a front row lock out in Qualifying giving Massa the teams first pole position since 2003. Nico could only manage 3rd and Lewis had a shocker down in 9th.

Qualifying pace and race pace are however different things, and the Williams couldn’t live with the Mercedes despite the Mercs nursing brake issues for most of the race. Nico secured the win doing enough to stay ahead of a chasing Hamilton in 2nd, a position helped by an amazing first lap from Lewis where he made up 5 places. Bottas fought valiantly for 3rd and his first ever podium. Massa came home in 4th.

Despite this being the home of Redbull, the team had a bit of a nightmare. With a Retirement for Sebastian (thank you boys) Vettel, and just an 8th for Dan. This home advantage thing isn’t as important as it would appear. With the year they are having (yeh no it’s Renaults fault I tells yah) its hard to see Dan and Dan doing much better this time round either.

So here we are 8 races into the season, just shy of half distance, and the Merecedes boys have, pending any cataclysms, got both championships sown up. Its hard to see anyone catching them at this point barring miracles.

Lewis has a 17 point lead and is back on top after Canada with Nico looking like he is running out of answers. If Nico is to stay in the fight he needs to win here. Otherwise the points gap and his mental doubt could build into an avalanche.

Ferrari upgrades bring them in closer to the Mercs but they still need to find at least half a second. Good result for Kimi last time out baring the spin (not my fault guv).

The thing I am most looking forward to is seeing if Williams can do the same as they did last year. I always enjoy seeing a smiley Claire Williams. Everything crossed for them to at least beat the Ferraris.

Hopefully McLaren can avoid another double DNF, but even if they do I'm sure they will say they are still improving. Alonso will be hoping to just finish after 3 DNF’s in a row.

Most people in the CTA pole scored this 7 out of ten last year. Lets hope it’s as good this year.

Highlights from last year.

screenshot.24.jpg

Last edited:
The current penalties situation:
  • Ricciardo – 10 place grid drop, engine change
  • Alonso – 20 place grid drop, engine, MGU-H, turbo change
  • Kvyat – reprimand, crossing the pit entry white line FP1
  • Alonso – drive through, unable to take full 20 place grid drop due to qualifying position (predicted)

Other possible penalties could be grid drops for Button and Kvyat due to engine changes.

Am I the only one who thinks this sort of thing has nothing to do with racing?

looks good ferrari on race pace are equal with mercedes both in mid 1:12 (kimi v nico) & red bulls, lotus, force india all look quite simliar with low to mid 1:13's

I thought McLaren ditched the silver paint as it was too heavy? Not that it makes much difference to their pace to be honest.

Is that dark blue flo vis on the rear wing?

At the back end of the grid, Manor have found something somehow. I know McLaren have had problems but Will Stevens was a shade over 6 tenths from Button in FP2 and just a fraction over 1 second from Alonso. Compare that to Canada where the Manors were twice that from their nearest rivals. The pattern was also repeated in FP1.

Last edited:
Mclaren performance absolutely pathetic>:( Ron Dennis better be answering the questions this weekend

At the front it appears the low temperature is troubling Hamilton who seems to be always on the limit or over driving. Think Ferrari could be closer to pick up the pieces if Mercedes flounder. It seems like Rosberg much more comfortable so far

At the back end of the grid, Manor have found something somehow. I know McLaren have had problems but Will Stevens was a shade over 6 tenths from Button in FP2 and just a fraction over 1 second from Alonso. Compare that to Canada where the Manors were twice that from their nearest rivals. The pattern was also repeated in FP1.
Nice catch. I wasn't paying attention at all back there.

Wow, the times are all over the board and there are so many factors with a track that hasn't been on the calendar for so long and last year was strange. And Lewis truly seems to have trouble keeping the car pointed in the right direction here. Not sure what to expect Sunday. Maybe that's good that we have a little bit of mystery about what's going to happen for once?
Or am I missing something obvious here?

I think you found the only angle that the new McLaren nose looks good from FB! In fact, I'm not even sure this is the same nose?

g7CFaRj.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, Alonso now also needs a gearbox change, so that's another 5 place drop.

Are there any more to add to this?
  • Ricciardo – 10 place grid drop, engine change
  • Alonso – 25 place grid drop, engine, MGU-H, turbo, gearbox change
  • Kvyat – reprimand, crossing the pit entry white line FP1
  • Button – 25 place grid drop, everything change (see Alonso)
  • Kvyat - 10 place grid drop, engine change
  • Alonso – drive through, unable to take full 25 place grid drop due to qualifying position
  • Button – drive through, unable to take full 25 place grid drop due to qualifying position

Alonso and Button will have accumulated so many penalties by the Belgian GP, they will need to start from 2014.

Back
Top Bottom