Grand Prix 2014 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ciao e benvenuto l'introduzione per il Gran Premio italiano di Monza 2014.

Silverstone, Interlagos, Monza. These illustrious names are the circuits where the sounds of the engines are drowned out by the noise of the fans. Few motorsport arenas can boast of an atmosphere to rival the ancient coliseum of Rome and Monza has always been a pilgrimage for the legion of rosso clad Tifosi.

Monza is synonymous with Ferrari yet this year the prancing horse seems to be more of a lumbering donkey. What effect will this have on the Tifosi and their embrace of the F1 circus this September?

The answer is probably no effect at all.

The reason for this is the love for motorsport shown by the Italian fans ever since the tracks creation in 1922. The sea of red running down to the Parabolica and back along the main straight indicate the devotion of Ferrari fans of all nationalities who are united under a single banner.

Few circuits have been captured on film as much as Monza, many of the sports iconic images and videos were taken at this magnificent race course and you can chart the history of the sport along the twists and turns of the tarmac. It’s also a record breaker, in 1971 the top five drivers finished within 0.61 seconds. A feat only made possible by the lack of chicanes during that era. Phenomenal speeds for the period were also set in those most dangerous of years.

Monza has always produced a mixture of triumph and tragedy, Fangio, Stewart, Lauda, Andretti & Scheckter all secured drivers championships at this circuit while Ascari, von Trip, Rindt & Peterson all lost their lives here.

Only 3 drivers have won at Monza and won the championship in the last 20 years, Senna, Schumacher & Vettel. With Rosberg on top in the championship, will winning this race mean he adds his name to the list or will the Monza jinx strike again.

As for this years race, it would have been hard to see past a Mercedes powered victory due to the long straights but after Ricciardo finished on top in Spa does engine power still have the advantage over aerodynamics?

Whatever happens in the championship we are in for an exciting weekend of racing!

Last edited:
I just set my sights lower down the grid, keeping an eye on the Lotus/Sauber/Force India dust-up will be most interesting.

It should be a standard sort of race - not much scope for strategic variation, no likelihood of the weather or Safety Cars mixing things up.

Still, Nico is the quicker Merc in sector one, and that's the first sector of the Grand Prix (there's insight for you right there). So I'll keep watching until the Roggia at least. You never know.

What does that have to do with anything? Ya it probably would be a better race than if Lewis one due to the sort of race that it would take to have Jenson win. Of course Lewis could also win like that, but if I were to tell you Lewis would win and you had to guess how you would just straight up assume he ran away with it from lap one.

EDIT: this was a response to Lewywo4 and not Boyle who posted at almost the exact same time as me.

So we might finally get an actual race between Nico and Lewis
They were on the front row at Spa as well weren't they, so I'm not sure what this finally sentiment is all about, they have been told in no uncertain terms not to take each other out which means neither of them will take a risk with the other, this does not bode well for an exciting race, as they will probably just follow each other round and try and get the jump at the one and only pitstop and then follow each other round until the end.

How the hell is watching them do that going to be exciting...?????

I'd sooner pick my nose and flick it a the cat and I don't even have a cat...

Last edited:
As a race fan, I shall be watching with bated breath. I hope that the 'stern' talk at Merc has not cowed either driver and that they are as competitive as ever they were!

One of the mechanics broke and end plate on Hamilton's car on the way to the grid. Just changing the wing as he sits on the pole.

Back
Top Bottom