Grand Prix 2013 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After the excitement of Spain the GP circus moves on to the glamour of Monaco, the longest serving race on the F1 calendar. Monaco, I'm sure, is probably the most testing circuit of the season for the drivers. Hurtling millimetres from unforgiving armco barriers at speeds of up to 180 mph, trying to wrestle 700 plus horsepower engines through tight and twisty corners with no hint of a run off area and having to cope with going from broad daylight into a tunnel with your foot planted hard to the floor before bursting back into the sunlight metres from probably the tightest chicane on any track, anywhere.

It is, almost certainly, the most marmite race on the season. Many love the glamour, the history and the challenge for the drivers. Others feel it is an anachronism in 21st century sport, that it is dangerous and doesn't show F1 at it's best with virtually no opportunity to overtake anywhere on the circuit. Whatever your feelings toward Monaco it isn't going anywhere soon and, I believe, is the only race which can thumb it's nose at FOM when they come along asking for money to allow the race to run. As important to Formula One as Ferrari apparently.

The battle at the top of the WDC leader board has closed up post Spain. Fernando Alonso & Ferrari were outstanding in the Catalan race and the team chose exactly the right tactics to help him win on home ground. Red Bull looked out of sorts, third best behind the Ferrari's and the Lotus Renaults (in Kimi Raikkonen's hands at least).

The tyres should probably not have quite so much of an influence on the racing in Monaco as they have in other races so far this season and Pirelli are planning changes to the rubber to give a maximum of 3 pit stops. Maybe this will help Mercedes, who appear to suffer most of the top teams with decaying rubber. Either that or Ross Brawn should remove the cheese graters Adrian Newey screwed on next to the tyres on the Merc when no one was looking.

If Mercedes manage to show the one lap pace they have elsewhere this season this could be their best chance for a win as they can lead a train around the track. However, it's hard to see past Alonso and, without some mistakes and mechanical failures, you can imagine he would have a VERY healthy lead in the drivers race by now. Perhaps the better driveability of the Renault engines will allow Lotus and Red Bull to mount a more serious challenge to Ferrari. Could someone like Force India spring a surprise, or McLaren? Sorry Macca fans, a little joke there. I shouldn't get your hopes up.

Meanwhile, down at the back. Aww, who cares as long as they get out of the way when being lapped, or get in the way depending on which driver arrives behind them. No safety cars so far this year, some how I'll be shocked if Monaco doesn't give Bert Mylander his first outing.

So Monaco, remember FP1 and 2 are on the Thursday as Friday is a religious holiday for Monegasques. Who'd have thought all those millionaires were so religious. Hope you all enjoy the race, or doing the ironing or gardening if it get's too dull/exciting (delete as appropriate).

FB

Someone will have to do a ballsy move because the grid is mixed up

I get the feeling Romain Grosjean is going to cause an accident the way he has trashed his car this week

Agree with you FB, it was a great qually today. Great to have all three periods of qually contain some quite exciting moments made all the more interesting due to the rain. Would Massa get out at all? Would Grosjean get a quick lap in? Would VDG fluke it into Q3 due to the team risking being the first on slicks? Would Maldanado keep up the fast laps he put in during Q1 and Q2. Great to have all those questions and more going on throughout the hour.

The BBC usually care so little for the getting rid of the usual suspects in Q1 that Radio 5 generally doesn't bother covering it. Bet if they did that again today they regretted it.

Sky will be doing a split screen of Rosberg's and Hamilton's Q3 laps during the pre-race build up tomorrow.

That should be very interesting as their times were almost identical, so we'll see how the sector times compare and how each driver positions the car for the faster corners.

The coverage of Nico's lap that they showed after Qually today, highlighted just how close they get to the barrier on the entrance to the chicane after the tunnel.

It's the sort of thing you watch from the on board camera and go "Shiiiiiit, that's close".

The key tomorrow is how well Vettel gets away on the clean side of the track in third.. I can see Webber on the dirty side of the track holding up that side of the field and Alonso and Kimi will have a fight on their hands. Rosberg should have a clear run into Ste Devote therefore it's whether or not Vettel can get up the inside of Hammy who will be starting on the dirty side. That will be the key to the first stint.

Thinking about the start tomorrow I feel a tad apprehensive at seeing Alonso in sixth because of the great starts he's been having lately. But this time it's at Monaco into St Devote and from sixth. It could get very crowded at the first corner and, well... hopefully everybody will go through the first corner with the majority of their bodywork still on.

I'm just wondering how many people Grosjean is going to wipe up into the first corner.... From 12th he can cause absolute chaos when he gets his braking wrong into that first corner!

That's how I see it as well Brogan. I think Alonso is going to find himself with a front wing full of a slow starting Webber. It's always interesting at Monaco.

A big ask for Alonso to get a top result from 6th, but in saying that Ferrari and Lotus are the only teams possibly able to do this race with one stop. If Alonso can get past Kimi at the start and traffic keeps him in touch with the leaders a one stopper could leave him in the box seat when Mercedes and Red Bull make their second stops.
cider_and_toast....Alonso will be very aware of Webbers poor starts.

I quite like watching the cars go round Monaco, as an exercise in car control and strategy, it is great. Sadly, in anticipation of dicing through the field it is far from the best.

One that I shall only watch the highlights of, due to the unique way that I fund the BBC

I quite like watching the cars go round Monaco, as an exercise in car control and strategy, it is great. Sadly, in anticipation of dicing through the field it is far from the best.

One that I shall only watch the highlights of, due to the unique way that I fund the BBC

In the begining i think the same way, but when i seen it all it usually is another 70 laps.

Lewis and Sutil having a chat on the drivers parade truck before Nat cut in to interview lewis.
Can only wonder how that conversation was going.

Back
Top Bottom