Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

The rebirth of Fellipe Massa seems to be well under way. Ok so we know that Alonso will be moved in front when it comes down to it but his reputation is certainly on the mend. Maybe he'll go try his hand at Enstone when Kimi goes to Red Bull next year? (yes I know I'm presuming).

Mclaren look like they are at least clawing there way back a little and Force India, much to the frustration of Nico Hulkenberg, look like the early season surprise package.

Award for Man not using his machainary as he should is being jointly held by RoGro and Dull Di Resta whilst man out performing his machinary award goes to Jules Bianchi (don't worry guys I've made the bandwagon everyones jumping on nice and comfy :p).

Expect it to be Red Bull/Ferrari/Enstone team for the win tomorrow with Merc, Sutil and Button(as long as we have changable conditions) lurking behind.

A race I will be enjoying for the first time in my own front room on Sky F1 having taken the plunge and subscribed today. Yay to having Brundle and Hill, audiable sigh at having to put up with 'over reaction' Kravatz and 'Did you know I drove in F1' Davidson.

But absolutely spot on as to why I've gone for Sky F1 though.

Also I'd take Hill's view over DC's any day of the week because he doesn't let his own preferences get in the way of his opinion.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the live race at 8. Hope you enjoy it on BBC Jos.....oh....

The rebirth of Fellipe Massa seems to be well under way. Ok so we know that Alonso will be moved in front when it comes down to it but his reputation is certainly on the mend. Maybe he'll go try his hand at Enstone when Kimi goes to Red Bull next year? (yes I know I'm presuming).

Not a bad thought, but I would see Massa replacing Grosjean next season. I think Kimi stays at Lotus, it seems to be a very laid-back, low pressure team that lets Kimi be Kimi. There is no way Kimi would stand for it with Helmut Marko running his mouth every 2 minutes.

Kimi has been sponsored by Red Bull right from the very start and I think the powers that be would love to link his name to their brand.

As for the race Massa needs to hope he gets into that first corner first and dissapears into the distance whilst Alonso gets held up if he stands any chance of winning. Not in the realms of fantasy but long odds. Would be interesting if he did win though and headed the championship.

Both Ferrari's jumped off the line faster than the rest in Melbourne. Was that just both drivers doing well or does the car have good traction from 0mph?

Oh how I would love to see Massa jump ahead into turn 1 and start opening a gap.

Why would Ferrari us subterfuge to swap Massa and Alonso when team orders are perfectly legal these days all they have to do is tell Massa to let Alonso through no harm no foul...

Could Ferrari and Mercedes regret using the hard tyres in Q1? With the Red Bulls, Lotus and Sutil saving all their hard tyres they will be able to run 3 stints on the new hard tyre (assuming its a 3 stop) whereas Ferrari and Mercedes will only have 2 stints on new hard tyres which could hurt them in the race......or it could rain.

Both Ferrari's jumped off the line faster than the rest in Melbourne. Was that just both drivers doing well or does the car have good traction from 0mph?
Oh how I would love to see Massa jump ahead into turn 1 and start opening a gap.

Alonso has previous .....
jumping off the line/jump start......can't remember where it was...but Charlie & MBrundle where on to it......straight away...!
I like Felipe...& Fernando.....so no probs...just let the best man win....for :censored: sake...

****ing bastards issued a stupid grid penalty again. Why can't they just gives points penalties instead of grid penalties. grid penalty just ruins the show.
I'm a Hamilton supporter, but I still wanted to see what Kimi could do from 7th. These ****ers ****ed that up.

if they keep this up, I'm going to switch to another racing series.

Why would Ferrari us subterfuge to swap Massa and Alonso when team orders are perfectly legal these days all they have to do is tell Massa to let Alonso through no harm no foul...

To avoid damaging PR. Remember the shit-storm last time around. Legal or not, we all know that this sort of thing leaves a bad taste in many mouths of the fans.

Batman

A grid penalty is exactly the right thing to do given that the purpose of qualifying is to fight for your spot on the grid. I can't agree with your upset, on this one.

What if it had been a Caterham. The Caterham may not score a single point all season which would make a points penalty a non-penalty.

The rules are correct, fair and sensible in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom