Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

I'm not a fan of Vettel and apart from the latter stages of 2008 I never have been much of a fan or liked the guy very much.

But somehow I just can't get worked up about him ignoring team orders, usually I'd be all over anything negative about him and although most are jumping on this. It just doesn;t seem to bother me for some reason.

Even though I actually do like Webber (as a person, as a driver I think he is average)

I'm hoping for another close finish to the season with Webber involved in the final battle.

Picture the scene. Vettel is 3rd in the race and that means he would be leading Alonso in the championship by 6 points. Alonso is in position 2 just behind Webber. On the last lap Webber pulls over and let's Alonso by.

That's what I call sticking the finger in. Mate.

...and John Watson thinks he ought to be disciplined by Red Bull in the way of a one-race suspension! I think that would be the end of Red Bull/Vettel TBH, although I can see the point he is making. It all depends how important Vettel is to the team. the problem is that they cannot let Vettel believe he is more important to them than is the actuality. He is an employee like everyone else. Interesting and quite strong opinions being shared from many quarters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21922429

As Webber pointed out on the podium, when the man who puts the money in is Vettel's number one fan then there is no way on earth that any serious action will be taken. RBR would never shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Webber may consider walking out on the team but at then there is no chance he'd drive again for any other team this season and in which case he could almost certainly forget about getting a contract with anyone else in 2014.

I reckon RBR will continue to make positive noises in support of Webber and boo hiss noises in public at Vettel but behind the scenes they will be busy trying to patch up a deal that will see what's left of the team dynamic kicking and screaming across the finishing line in November with both FIA pots in the RBR cupboard.

This is a bigger problem for Horner et all than Webber because it shows that Vettel has very little regard for the hierarchy at Redbull. Let's be honest, Webber has been nothing more than a convenient launch pad for Vettel over the past 3years and it's very difficult to have any sympathy for him because his seat deserves a more competent driver. He is woefully inconsistent and that was the first time he's led a GP since Silverstone. Engine turned down or not, he could've put up a better fight and he also seems the more emotionally unstable despite the age gap. Hamilton proved against Jenson in Turkey that he wasn't going to stand for any underhand tactics and was even prepared to drive over the marbles to get the lead back.

I think every driver has a right to get pissed off, frustrated or "emotionally unstable" once in a while. After all even Formula 1 drivers are just humans.

thee question is how do RedBull and the drivers deal with this now. Can relationships be repaired enough for them to work together with in a team. If not I cannot see anything other then Webber being the fall guy.

He shouldve focused on putting Vettel on the the grass there rather than giving him the middle finger and screaming multi 21 after the race. Vettel drove around him on the outside like he wasn't there and I happen to think that a very fast car coupled with a compliant and hapless team mate is making Seb better than he actually is. If this whole debacle eventually helps free up Webber's seat for a more competent charger then I'm all for it.

Let us look at it this way:

Christian Horner is a bit grumpy that Vettel pretended not to hear him...
Mark Webber is livid that he allowed himself to be taken advantage of, yet again...
Vettel proves that he is a better racer than a dissembler, and that he's not quite as nice and smiley as he would have us believe...
Lots of Internet folk are exulting in having a gritty new rivalry to get their knickers twisted about...

Me? I'm glad they've moved on from Lewis vs Jenson... :victory:

Speshal

He was impartial was not he (DC)

His first quote was Webber deserved to be the winner

Secondly he's been at Red Bull and Mclaren where supposedly they have equal status and played the team game

He also was the one that stepped aside for Vettel to be promoted ( although I suspect inside rumours and Marko making noises may have forced it on him)

He also believes the team concept is flawed because you've got two hungry drivers each wanting to outdo the other in the same machinery

the only quote I don;t agree with is Vettel is 25 years old and still young BS. He;s been in F1 since 2007 and been three times world champion so has had plenty of time to mature

I must say Vettel has now made himself public enemy No 1.

I remember Schumacher was booed everywhere after Austria gate 2002 even in places like Canada

You know Webber is one of Alonso's good mates so I am sure they are going to have some interesting conversations about screwing Vettel up in future races

-------------

If there is any reason for Vettel to move .. yesterday was it .

If I was Webber i would not quit..he is a fighter and really if he wants to go out then it should be all guns blazing make life difficult for Vettel

After all Marko can;t do anything because Materschitz is the one who deals with Webber when it comes to contract deals

If I was Mark I would something on the lines of " This team has been good to me for many years and I've some of the guys for a long time and have their support in the team and this is for them "( some of the Red bull guys he knows from Jaguar days as well)

Make it clear he is a team man

Back
Top Bottom