Grand Prix 2013 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Finally F1 is back! After three months without racing, waiting for car launches and testing, the first race of the 2013 Formula One season at Melbourne is just around the corner.

A quick look on what has changed compared to last year:

Teams:
HRT are not on the grid anymore.

Drivers:
- Lewis Hamilton replaces Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
- Sergio Perez replaces Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.
- Sauber start this season with a completely new line-up as Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez replace Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi.
- Adrian Sutil replaces Nico Hülkenberg at Force India.
- Valtteri Bottas is Williams’ new driver, replacing Bruno Senna.
- At Caterham Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen are being replaced by Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.
- Marussia bring on Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in favor of Timo Glock and Charles Pic.

For the complete line-ups please check this brilliant overview from teabagyokel http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-driver-by-driver-preview.6011/

Circuits:
- The German Grand Prix is being held at the Nürburgring instead of Hockenheim.
- There won't be a race in Valencia this year, as the Spanish Grand Prix will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from now on, starting with Barcelona.

Pre-season testing suggests that (as almost always) it is almost impossible to predict which teams will be at the very front of the grid. Red Bull look as strong as ever. Ferrari look significantly better than at this stage last year. McLaren seem to be struggling a bit. Mercedes appear to have made some progress over the last weeks and might be able to surprise us all. Lotus look like they could be fighting at the top this year as well.

In the midfield battle it seems that Williams and Sauber could have the upper hand over Toro Rosso and Force India, who have waited a very very long time to announce their second driver, Adrian Sutil.

Caterham and Marussia will probably be at the back end of the grid again. It seems very unlikely that any of them is going to be able to fight for points consistently. What is interesting though is, since HRT aren’t on the grid anymore, there will now be six drivers eliminated in Q1, which means, that apart from the Caterham and Marussia guys, there will now be two drivers of other teams out of qualifying after the first part of it.

How will Lewis Hamilton do for Mercedes? Is Mercedes’ completely new structured team going to improve? Is Sebastian Vettel going to pave his way for a fourth consecutive championship? How will Sergio Perez settle in at McLaren? Is Jenson Button going to win for the fourth time in Melbourne? Will Ferrari be able to win races from the outset?

Many questions! At least some of them will be answered in two weeks’ time at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne!
Let’s get it on!!

From the sounds of it it was most certainly an ECU issue with the side effect of making KERS not work not an issue with KERS itself per se. That's what Christian Horner's blaming it on anyway and he's not shy in criticising the "third party" that supply them!

Interesting little war of words developing there! I think it does happen to Vettel reasonably regularly as well (he had issues at some point on Friday I think), but he tends to go and finish on the podium/win anyway!

Vettel does have problems also, I wouldn't deny that. His failure at Valencia last year springs to mind, but the percentages fall against Webber by miles.

A war of words may be about to develop between McLaren and Red Bull. Autosport are reporting McLaren claim Webber had no ECU issues. Your move Mr Horner. :)

Were Schumacher and Hamilton also coïncidences last year? And why does have Vettel more race-ending issues? Come on, this is a simple matter of luck.

As for no ECU, it'd be interesting to see that discussion develop, but with the DRS and flag light stuff, electronics were a mess this race.

With the level of technology and its reliability, luck plays very little part in modern Formula One. Six trouble free GP's from an engine is just one example.

I haven't had time to check all the top teams but from 2010 to 2012 there were 58 GP's. Ferrari had one gearbox failure and one suspension failure during those 58 GP's. That's extraordinary reliability that has nothing at all to do with luck.

Between teams it's of course just good engineering. But the difference in reliability between Rosberg and Schumacher, Button and Hamilton, and Vettel and Webber, I believe is a good deal of the coin flipping one way or ther other.

I haven't had time to check all the top teams but from 2010 to 2012 there were 58 GP's. Ferrari had one gearbox failure and one suspension failure during those 58 GP's. That's extraordinary reliability that has nothing at all to do with luck.

True, but reliability issues within a team are mostly to do with luck, which I think somehow always conspires against Webber (although, even without such incidents I doubt whether he can match Vettel).

was that why he was so poor off the line? possibly on the second phase, but I think the initial poor getaway is not related.
Redbull stated Webbers poor get away was a software issue. They were unable to reset the clutch bite point on the way to the grid, which is why he got so much wheel spin. They also said he didn't have KERS for 30 laps.

Where did you get the 30 laps?
I thought just until the first pit stop.

It explains his start this race, and I'm glad it was not his skill that made the start so abominable, but he's definitely had his fair share of bad starts simply through not being a good starter.

I'm not sure McLaren are denying it. Looks like they are saying that the problem is not with the physical ECU unit in the car but with the software that communicates with it. By the tone, I am assuming that McLaren supply the software, too. They don't sound to be being defensive or combative.

Back
Top Bottom