Grand Prix 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

You might remember last year's race, four times World Champion, Sebastien Vettel, started from the pit lane after not having enough fuel in his car post qualifying. He finished third and set up the chance to steal the World Title from Fernando Alonso. Kimi Raikkonen won the race, his first after returning from "sabbatical".

This year the title race is over. Vettel and Red Bull secured the title nice an early so there is only pride left to race for for the other teams. That, and several million dollars for finishing as high as possible in the Constructors Championship table. It's difficult to see past the Vettel/Red Bull combo as the race approaches. Perhaps Seb will find it in his heart to let another driver win but then, as a man driven by statistics (witness his attempts to take fastest lap in India) somehow I think he will be just as up for this race as every other.

Is it worth discussing the rest? Mercedes again qualified well in Inida but were poor in the race, a long way behind the charging Bulls. Felipe Massa is driving for a contract in 2014, perhaps he should have started a little earlier in the season? Lotus have fallen out of love with the departing Raikkonen after his shenanigans with his team mate in India so don't expect him to get much support from the team. Perhaps it's Grosjean's time for a win?

There will be other teams and drivers taking part, feel free to discuss them but I don't expect them to be much more than also-rans and mobile chicanes as the sun sets, literally and metaphorically, on the 2013 season.

I'd like an explanation as to how Alonso got away with passing the Toro Rosso off track after his last stop without penalty. He was behind when he exited, went off track and rejoined infront. Seems an advantage was gained.

It looked to me that he was forced off track, and yet again Tilke cannot design a safe pit exit, it wasn't the only close call in the race due to the exit layout..

If next year doesn't shake things up in F1 then I'm going to give it up as a bad job and start watching paint dry instead or maybe grass growing...

If next year doesn't shake things up in F1 then I'm going to give it up as a bad job and start watching paint dry instead or maybe grass growing...

I've been frustrated with F1 for probably the most of this century so far! Supporting McLaren means you have to be extremely patient* . They were breaking down at the side of the road while Schumacher humiliated them and everyone else, I can barely remember the Alonso/Renault years, then it got good again with Alonso/Hamilton and Hamilton winning. The Brawn year was fun for about two races until it became clear how dominant their car was, and now this. The thing is I keep watching on the off-chance that there's going to be a real classic and there have been a few decent races this year, but not for a while. Austin was good last year and Brazil doesn't usually disappoint so maybe the last 2 races will redeem F1.

* I immediately thought of Williams fans after this who have it much worse. I salute your indefatigability Williams fans!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom