Grand Prix 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

You might remember last year's race, four times World Champion, Sebastien Vettel, started from the pit lane after not having enough fuel in his car post qualifying. He finished third and set up the chance to steal the World Title from Fernando Alonso. Kimi Raikkonen won the race, his first after returning from "sabbatical".

This year the title race is over. Vettel and Red Bull secured the title nice an early so there is only pride left to race for for the other teams. That, and several million dollars for finishing as high as possible in the Constructors Championship table. It's difficult to see past the Vettel/Red Bull combo as the race approaches. Perhaps Seb will find it in his heart to let another driver win but then, as a man driven by statistics (witness his attempts to take fastest lap in India) somehow I think he will be just as up for this race as every other.

Is it worth discussing the rest? Mercedes again qualified well in Inida but were poor in the race, a long way behind the charging Bulls. Felipe Massa is driving for a contract in 2014, perhaps he should have started a little earlier in the season? Lotus have fallen out of love with the departing Raikkonen after his shenanigans with his team mate in India so don't expect him to get much support from the team. Perhaps it's Grosjean's time for a win?

There will be other teams and drivers taking part, feel free to discuss them but I don't expect them to be much more than also-rans and mobile chicanes as the sun sets, literally and metaphorically, on the 2013 season.

What a shambles F1 has become I don't even bother watching the races or the qualifying live anymore whereas before I couldn't bear to miss anything live, I just record them and watch when I can be bothered, which is usually after several ales of an evening and I've been an ardent fan for more than 20 years which says everything about today's F1...

Last edited:
Mephistopheles I'm much the same.

Up until even the end of 2012 I had to know all the goings on outside of race weekends, watch practice, and re watch highlights etc.

This year I'm struggling to like it. Only the first lap holds much interest anymore.

In fact I've been following Andy Murray far more than Formula 1 this year.

Not a bad Saturday today, until Q3 I actually thought a Merc might steal it. It also isn't Vettel on pole so that's a plus too. Shame about Hamilton's wishbone, if he was 0.4 seconds up as he says then he actually might have stolen the front row slot from Vettel.

Presumably Lotus will be fitting a non-flexible floor overnight, good job they have one. If they don't/can't presumably Raikkonen will not be allowed to race.

Fun podium. Everyone seemed happy. Seb in good form. Just a dam shame the gap seems to be increasing. 30 second gap today FROM HIS TEAM MATE and Seb was just cruising in the last 20 laps. Easy 50 seconds gap if he had pushed. Just unreal. I may not be a fan but it is impossible to avoid being in awe of his talents.

It seems that Vettel is though Jen like Brundle said there is one driver in class A and all the rest are In class B.

Nice try chaps but nowhere near good enough, winning by over half a minute and if he wanted he could have made it a whole minute I reckon, he just makes everyone else look silly, just pop the crown on his head at the beginning of each season and pay him to stay at home...

Last edited:
What a shambles F1 has become I don't even bother watching the races or the qualifying live anymore whereas before I couldn't bear to miss anything live, I just record them and watch when I can be bothered, which is usually after several ales of an evening and I've been an ardent fan for more than 20 years which says everything about today's F1...

This sums up how I feel to a nutshell, up until the end of last season I'd watch every single Practice, Quali and Race session of every race even if it was in the middle of the night, nowadays I've not watched a race start to finish since Singapore and turned off this race halfway through, something I've only done once before (Indy 2005 with tyregate). The race at Austin clashes with the NASCAR Sprint Cup finale, I know which one I'll be watching.....

Back
Top Bottom