2012 rumours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like it if Rosberg and Massa had a straight swap. Rosberg would finally be up against a good benchmark, Schumacher we just don't know if Rosberg beats him the common theme is "7 time World Champion that's 42 years old". It will be good for Massa, fresher start, back with his mentor.

I would really like it if Raikkonen comesback, as a fan it would be great, I don't think his motivation will be a problem, if he wants back then I am sure he will put all his effort in, after all when he was classified as "de-motivated" he performed amazingly in the F60 in the second half of the season. Plus 6 World Champions on the grid....mouth-watering prospect. I thoroughly enjoy watching drivers put in great performances in lesser cars, especially champions, Schumacher in '97-'99, Hamilton and Raikkonen in 2009 (these two really saved the 2009 season from being ultra boring), Alonso in 2008 and 2011, Kubica in 2008 and 2010,(he isn't a champion, but I rate him very highly).

I can see both Toro Rosso drivers get replaced, although I am starting think Alguersuari will stay now, but I think that would be unfair, if Buemi gets dropped then so should he, if he gets kept on so should Buemi. Both have been doing great jobs, and if either gets dropped it would be very very harsh, if they do I seriously hope they find a good race seat elsewhere.

I think it's great Hulkenberg is going to get a race seat, I found it very harsh the way Williams dealt with him saying they were going to keep, then not, then yes, then no. He has potential if Maldonado who he thrashed in GP2 can get a seat, then so should he. Quite harsh on Sutil too, yes he's hot and cold, but he's ahead of his team-mate isn't he? After a poor start to the season he's done well, think he's one of the victims of the Pirelli tyres, seems as if he's got that issue out of the way, Di Resta has been putting him in the shade though. It would be good if he went onto partner Raikkonen at Williams.

There's been a lot of positive noise about Kubica, but now there's been a lot of negative. It would be a real shame if he comesback to race fitness before the F1 winter testing and has no race seat, he along with Raikkonen can only strengthen the current grid.

Taking of rumours...does anyone else think that Lewis Hamilton would be better off in another team...Ferrari. I'm a massive fan of the Woking team. Mclaren say they have passion, It just doesn't come across at the GP's. At least under Ron we knew what we were getting. Hard nose racing. No frills. I'm not convinced with the "new" mclaren ethos. It all seems so fake. Anyone else agree?
Nigel Mansell was revered amongst the Tifosi for his brave and daring moves on the track. I just wonder if the Tifosi would take to Lewis the same way.
What part of the McLaren ethos are you having issues with exactly? I totally agree with the way they are going racing at the moment, Jenson is doing a stelar job, its just Lewis that seems to be struggling. Maybe if he sorts his head out (which he seems to be doing), then he will be up there once again.

Glock deserves so much better than a seat in that bucket. I wonder if he's going to be consigned to the tail end of the grid until his career in F1 comes to a close?

Well if Pic does get the drive I wouldn't be suprise to see him get well and truly beat next year in which case yes. I used to rate Glock quite highly and I do think he has talent but d'Ambrosio has kept pace with him this year and Timo has not had the best of attitudes.

The again if the F1 car I was driving had been designed on an Amiga 500 then I'd be a bit stroppy too.

I can see both Toro Rosso drivers get replaced, although I am starting think Alguersuari will stay now, but I think that would be unfair, if Buemi gets dropped then so should he, if he gets kept on so should Buemi. Both have been doing great jobs, and if either gets dropped it would be very very harsh, if they do I seriously hope they find a good race seat elsewhere.
I was reading yesterday some statements from Buemi in German/Swiss media and he sounds very worried about the future.

Sorry :embarrassed:

So the annual game of musical chairs is coming to an end and believe me there are going to be some tears before bedtime this year.

The last remaining seats and their contenders are as follows.

Lotus Renault - 1 seat

possibles: Robert Kubica; Bruno Senna; Roman Grosjean

With Petrov confirmed on a two year contract there is one seat left at 'Lotus' and too many drivers. You would have thought Kubica would have been the odds on favourite for it but with the noises coming from the Lotus team at the moment you start to think that maybe that won't happen. I think the team have been wanting Bruno Senna to pull out some awesome races at the end of this year to justify them keeping him and obviously keeping his sponsorship. Roman Grosjean shouldn't be ruled out though - the team have invested a lot of time and money in him and as GP2 champion I'm sure he's expecting to be in F1 in 2012

Verdict: I have a feeling it will be Senna

Toro Rosso - 2 seats

possibles: Alguersauri; Buemi; Ricciardo; Vergne; Colleti

This really is the interesting one as Red Bull just have far too many drivers for seats. You would have bet your house on Ricciardo being in a Toro Rosso for 2012 back when he stepped into that HRT at Silverstone but having not got to grips with even his team-mate at Hispania a shadow of doubt has been cast over the young aussie. You have to say Alguersauri has been driving for his F1 life this year and has pulled off some great results - enough I'd say to keep him in the team - however Buemi hasn't been too far behind him and in fact has been right up there with the Squire in the last 2 GP's only to be hit by mechanical failures and leaving him out the GP. Would you take Ricciardo over Buemi? I'm not sure I would! Frenchmen Vergne is a late contender for the seat after narrowly missing out on the Renault 3.5 title. He's been given practice time at Toro Rosso and is driving a Red Bull at the young driver test and seems to be rising to favoured driver status. Colleti is new on the scene but will also get a test of the car at Abu Dhabi.

Verdict: I really have no idea! I'd venture that Alguersauri will stay but other than that I don't know.

Force India - 2 seats

possibles: Di Resta; Hulkenberg; Sutil

Pretty easy one this as I can't see Di Resta going anywhere and I'm pretty sure Hulkenberg would not have joined as test driver unless he knew he'd be in the race seat for 2012. The argument for keeping Sutil is strong though as he is still their highest scoring driver and has been their team leader for years

Verdict: Hulkenberg and Di Resta I reckon

Williams Renault - 2 seats

possibles: Barrichello; Maldonado; Sutil; Rakkionen; Grosjean; Bianchi; Pic; Van Der Garde

I'm going to start by saying that I think Maldonado's seat is pretty safe due to the backing he has so I think he will fill at least one seat which leaves us with the whole Kimi debate. Is he coming back? Does he want to come back? Why does he want to come back? I have to be honest I can't really see it and I can't see Williams having the money to pay his wages. Grosjean is in with a shout if he misses out on the Lotus drive as he's heavily backed by Renault and could come with the engines. Bianchi, Pic and Van Der Garde are all GP2 hopefuls with a bit of cash backing and have all been linked with Williams but I think they're fall back option. I think its between Sutil and Barrichello if I'm honest and which one of those Williams feel can take the team forward whilst providing enough sponsorship

Verdict: Maldonado and Sutil

Virgin/Marussia - 1 seat

possibles: Pic, Wickens, d'Ambrosio, Van Der Garde

Has d'Ambrosio really done so badly he deserves to be replaced? No. Will he be replaced? I'm sorry to say that I think Custard is on his way out. Why would anyone want this seat I hear you cry? well lets not forget that this team is supposed to becoming Mclaren's junior team and with Timo Glock set as a bar standard I guess a young driver does get his chance to show what he can do. Its recently been said that Charles Pic is on the verge of signing the deal for next year and I think he is a very good choice and would give Glock a run for his money. I'd rather see Robert Wickens come in though - firstly it would be nice to have the continent of North America and secondly because I think he's a Mclaren driver in waiting. Van Der Garde has been making nosies about signing but I don't think it'll happen unless he has a lot of cash as I see him as a bit of a Journeymen

Verdict: Glock and Pic

Hispania Racing Team

possiblities: Liuzzi, Villa, Ricciardo, Clos, Any other bugger who hasn't got a drive.

Hispania have new backers and a new design team so are hoping for a bit of improvement next year - on top of which the little bit of extra cash means that a drivers bank balance might not be the top priority for the team anymore. The new owners have promised a more Spanish feel to the team which you kind of means a Spanish driver. They have been linked with Javier Villa who used to be in GP2 and whilst not exactly lightning up the series did ok. I have to say if Alguersauri were to be dropped by Toro Rosso then Hispania would snap him up. I also think they might do a deal with Red Bull to keep Ricciardo for another season if they decide not to go with him at Toro Rosso. However Liuzzi has settled in well and seems to think he'll be there for the long term and you can;t say he's done too much wrong in order to get dropped. An outside bet? Rubens Barrichello. Doesn't want to retire but doesn't look to be getting a seat - surely his experience and his skills in development would really serve HRT well and whilst Brazilian is not Spanish it does have a Spanish flavour

Verdict: I'll play it safe and say Liuzzi and Villa

Anyone's thoughts differ to mine? If My predictions are right that would leave Robert Kubica, Sebastian Buemi and Rubens Barrichello without a drive - not to mention GP2 champione Roman Grosjean! Tough year!

You think Caterham are keeping Kovaleinen & Trulli, I guess?

You think Caterham are keeping Kovaleinen & Trulli, I guess?

Heiki had a three year contract and they've already announced a year extension for Jarno so as far as I was aware it was all done deals - unless you've heard different?

unless you've heard different?

Not at all, but as we all know contracts can be broken. I just feel that Heikki has been so consistent and fast that he must be on some of the other teams' radar. I speculated, completely without foundation that he might be a candidate for Massa's seat and I would think that others such as Renault and Williams might also benefit from someone like that to bank points wherever possible? He did ok at McLaren and ok at Renault before - it's not a flash in the pan.

Unless he's on a lot of wonga, I cant see why Kovaleinen would want to stay in the best bad car another year? If he does stay, he has got to be fighting for more than just that next year, although it is also true that his stock won't fall if he does keep doing what he has been.

I will admit that I've kept the article debating about the seats I know are actually free as whilst I agree that contracts can be broken it would surprise me if at this stage they were. I know the whole Massa debate is in the air and if Button hadn't signed for Mclaren then I could have seen it happening but now I think Ferrari have made their choice and they'll stick to it. I'm pretty certain on all the others as well or they wouldn't have announced them - the only contract I can maybe see being ripped up is Petrov at 'Lotus' due to the number of drivers they have and the fact that despite his early season flurish he's not set the season alight.

As for your view on Kovi - I don't disagree(although I can't see the Ferrari thing happening) however in a season where there are far more talented drivers than seats I think Heiki will be quite happy to have another year rebuilding his rep and then he'll see what he can get in the great shake up of 2013

I heard that, rather than Heikki's place being a question mark, if a pay driver can come in with enough money to pay off Jarno's contract, that would be seriously considered by the team.

As for the thread, it's pretty mind-boggling! I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess for most of them. Somehow I just have a feeling Toro Rosso will end up changing both of their drivers, though. Don't ask me why.

I heard that, rather than Heikki's place being a question mark, if a pay driver can come in with enough money to pay off Jarno's contract, that would be seriously considered by the team.

As for the thread, it's pretty mind-boggling! I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess for most of them. Somehow I just have a feeling Toro Rosso will end up changing both of their drivers, though. Don't ask me why.

See I'd heard that the plan was to have Jarno for another season and give American Alexander Rossi a season as test driver doing the whole P1 Friday sessions before bringing him in for 2013 in order to try an capitalised on some U.S sponsor being drawn into F1. That could be wrong though.

As for Toro Rosso - that one has me confused as well and like you I have a sneaking feeling both will go - as this is the best season the team has ever had it would be an odd decision but they seem to bringing too many people in to test for it not to be true! Surely Alguersauri has to land a drive on his current form though right? somewhere at least!

I reckon that Heikki's seat is about as safe as an F1 seat can be at Lotus next year but from there after I don't know. He's proven to be a great signing for MG and I only hope that with KERS and another year of development, the team (whatever they may be called next year) can reward him with a regular midfield / points capable car.

Though I am a great fan of Rubens, I hope this is, indeed the end of him in F1. He has stayed well beyond his "sell by" date and is merely occupying space now.

Though I am a great fan of Rubens, I hope this is, indeed the end of him in F1. He has stayed well beyond his "sell by" date and is merely occupying space now.

Didn't pretty much everyone say that when Brawn signed him up?
personally I think his performane has shown more how poor Williams have been more then anything else. I'd sign him up again for a year but, If iwas williams team boss (and there good has well as pratical reasons why im not!) with all the backroom changes going on, Williams can only bulid for the future and id be looking for sombody young and with expereince to move the team forward for the next 5 years. Has Barrichello got 5 years in him left? im not so sure about that.

There's hardly a team in the latter half of the grid who can afford to pay a driver a salary, and sadly that seems to include Williams too. Only two years ago this month he was fighting for a world championship, and regularly beating Jenson Button, so I doubt that he's completely lost all his talent in that time.

As I said in my article do you think someone like HRT would benifit from taking on someone like Rubens? I'm pretty sure he'd probably bring some money in from Brazilian backer and he has a reputation as a car developer - I mean taking Williams out of the picture has Rubens ever left a team in a worse position then when he joined them?

Surely if your Marussia or Hispania having someone like Rubens who knows a good car when he drives one would be invaluable input.

now, how old is rubens?? 38?. presuming that HRT and Virgin dont find something brilliant. I think the question is more, Does Rubens want to trawl round in a shitbox (compared to other F1 cars) for a year hoping he may get a 13th place or so if there are a lot of retirements?

Now i may be talking twaddle, lets face it im 22, what do i know? but if what was his only option, id think id rather take up sportscars DTm or something.

It would be a help ot the teams though if he did rock up there and was motivated, You cannot buy experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom