Grand Prix 2012 European Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Valencia........ :bored:

Even Abu Dhabi and Bahrain are more exciting in comparison. Valencia is the only grand prix on the calendar that I genuinley do not look forward to. It's dull, boring and hasn't provided an interesting race at all since its inception on the F1 calendar in 2008. Thankfully it won't be a regular feature in the future as it will be alternating with Barcelona in the future.

Going into the Grand Prix Lewis Hamilton is back as the Championship leader after becoming the 7th driver to win in 7 races with victory in the Canadian Grand Prix. After missing out on the podium in recent races he was back with vengeance after fighting back from starting second and being third with 10 laps to go but thanks to fresher tyres he made easy work of Vettel and Alonso in the latter laps who fell away after a gamble to one stop failed. In the end Roman Grosjean and Sergio Perez finished on the podium and it is testament to the unpredictably of 2012 that it wasn't the first time either of them have been on the podium this season.

From race to race no team has been consistently at the very front, in Spain it was Williams, in Monaco it was Red Bull and in Canada it was McLaren. Both Ferrari and Lotus have probably been the most consistent package over recent weeks but not enough to win races with podium places the highest they can manage, but considering the start to the season Ferrari made, that probably isn't a bad thing and Alonso is only 2 points off the championship leader with world champion Vettel just one point behind in third.

It's a complete reversal of 2011 as this time last year Hamilton left Canada with a world of problems after a DNF which involved a collision with team mate Button who went on to win one of the best races of his career passing Vettel on the last lap. But 12 months later Hamilton won the race with Button finishing a lapped 16th. What's worse for the 2009 champion is that was on merit as well and not down to any car failures or pit problems, it marks a horrid fall from grace after winning the opening race in Melbourne and an early run of podiums but now he is struggling to even get into Q3 and convert that into points finishes. Button appears clueless as to where the problem lies and it may not be a short term fix as the car isn't slow as Hamilton is currently proving. It could be already over as far as Button's title hopes are concerned as he is currently 43 points behind Hamilton and has roughly half the points total.

It is also interesting to note that Button was further behind the leader last season and he was second in the championship, while at the moment he lies in 8th behind both Lotus drivers who are the only front running drivers yet to win a race (excluding Schumacher) and having come close in Bahrain and Spain they will want to be the next winners and take the total to 8 winners in 8 races and with both Raikkonen and Grosjean closely matched it's hard to say who is the more likely. But it's Grosjean's form which is the most surprising, a lot of people questioned why he was given the driver role given the way he was outperformed in 2009 and a lot of people said he would be outraced by the returning Finn, but after 7 races he is only 2 points behind and that is despite several first lap incidents where he has been the innocent part in some cases but not others (Malaysia). With the pendulum swinging from race to race it is hard to predict who will have the upper hand in the Spanish heat.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/valencia-street-circuit/

...while expecting rain to come...

That was the problem, everyone expecting rain for 3/4 of the race and it starts falling 5 minutes after the checkers.

And there's little hope of rain in Valenthia. Oh well, I would be looking forward to a race in the Caesar's Palace car park right now!

No. It was more frustrating than fun. The after-party was fun and qualifying was brilliant but the race was poop. Watching everyone get wet when the heavens opened immediately after the race was fun because I sensibly, and at the earlier ridicule of others, had brought my McLaren umbrella with me. :1st:

Well in first practice Jenson looked much more settled. Both McLaren's were having issues locking, but Jenson looked on it pace wise and should have probably set the fastest time if not for locking up.

Another interesting thing is Lewis was the only guy to seemingly go out on a heavy fuel run. I've looked at the FIA first session lap times and was also watching the f1 live timing app and noticed that when Lewis went out for the last 10 - 15 minutes he was running a lot slower but also very consistent. This strongly suggests he was on heavy fuel. From looking at all other notable runners, due to them setting the odd pretty fast lap during their final run it looks like they were out again on medium - low fuel.

I just found it interesting, Lewis did:-

14 1:46.491
15 1:45.601
16 1:45.605
17 1:45.746

..plus 2 more laps that would have been near identical but were ruined by traffic. For him to go out so early on and do a long run, whereas they'd usually do setup changes on the same amount of fuel, suggests they are confident, or at least that's how I read it. Also with JB right back up there, that's also a good sign.

Final point is the 2 Red Bull's and Maldonado were 2 tenths or more faster than any other car in the high speed sector 3. Interesting because at Barcelona sector 1 it was Maldonado, Hamilton and the Lotuses who dominated that sector. I guess we haven't seen the best of the latter yet though.

GP2 quali has been red flagged due to a spinner at the bridge, wrecking Valsecchi's quali lap, interestingly Valsecchi was the only person on the super softs as it looks like he's planned on doing an early banzai flying lap for pole.

Rumours going around about McLaren trying new exhaust solution on Hamilton's car during FP1 but they don't plan to race it. The reason now appears that they only have 1 copy of it, but another could come tomorrow and then they would possibly race it on both cars.

Even if they only have one part they should race it (assuming it beings performance). If both drivers like it they should give it to the championship leader. A very similar situation to Red Bulls front wing at Silverstone in 2010 but you'd be a fool to not maximise your chances of winning. McLaren would look even more stupid if they were to not give it to Hamilton for example (ahead in the WDC) for the sake of parity and then Button has another shocker.

As a McLaren fan I'm at least relieved that it looks like they may have a fix to their problems and it isn't just that they are slow with no hope!

LH: "I'm about 95% away from where I want to be with my car at the moment, but I'll get that 90% overnight."

"The track's normal, it's the same as it was in the last race. It's just setup and again the tyres were a bit of problem for us today, but we'll fix it tomorrow."

"I didn't have a very good day today. It was just a bit of a struggle really, I tried a couple of different things with my tyres and it didn't work. I feel quite confident that I can make some changes to put me back in a better position tomorrow. I don't know why there's such a big gap to the lead four, on Jenson's side I don't know what problems he was having, but on my side we were having a lot of problems. We'll fix it for tomorrow and I think we'll be fine."

"I think you've got to be on the front row here [to win]. But then again this season is showing, particularly in the last race, that if you start further back and make your tyres last and do fewer stops than the guy in front, then you're in for a good shot of being in front. But that's not on the cards for us, so I have to make sure that I qualify up the front."
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motors...RSS;utm_medium=twitter;utm_source=twitterfeed

Well, I didn't expect that. Button fastest in P3 after a great lap. He was really fast in sector 3, which is the first time McLaren have been competitive there all weekend. The lotuses look fast too on a single lap and could be in contention and the Force Indias have genuine pace. But unless he has some serious issue I'd put a lot of money on Vettel taking pole. He was fastest on the prime by 4 tenths and although he didn't get a lap on his option he set a purple sector 1 and sector 2 with ease.

Those in trouble are Webber, who always seems to get the bad luck if any is going and then also Alonso did not look happy all session and finished way down the order.

Now, Vettel's final lap in P3 is an interesting one - given that AFTER he saw the chequered flag, he continued to go at full pace (setting purple sectors), without any real care for anyone else.

Now two things jump to mind. Firstly, the Red Bull looks very quick this weekend.
Secondly, (And more worrying for Vettel), I suspect the stewards are beavering over the rulebooks right now, as I'm convinced there's some rule about slowing down to a safe(r) pace after seeing the chequered flag.... As such, there needs to be a reprimand at least for Vettel....

Did Vettel cross the line before the end of the session?
If so he is allowed to go as fast as he wishes as it is no different to any other lap.

If not then he could be in trouble, but I doubt it.

No, he definitely crossed the line after the chequered flag had come out - and then came straight into the pits.... I doubt he will end up in trouble, but it does strike me as a dangerous breach of the rules, since other cars will have been progressing slowly back to the pits.

Back
Top Bottom