Grand Prix 2012 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a Grand Prix in Valencia which was probably better than all the others put together it shows that F1 2012 is completely mad. For the first time this season there is a driver with 2 wins after Fernando Alonso benefited from a retirement from Vettel and any pressure from behind was gone when Grosjean lost drive not long after Vettel stopped. The big talking point came on the penultimate lap involving Maldonado and Hamilton which resulted in Hamilton being pitched into the wall and Maldonado lost a podium which seemed pretty certain as it was only a matter of time before he passed the McLaren who had fallen off the cliff.

Without the safety car it was likely that Vettel would have won at a canter as he was a long way ahead before the race changing event in the middle of the race, but he pulled up soon after the restart gifting Alonso the lead and he would keep this until the end of the race, and because of Hamilton's issues he inherited the lead of the Championship with Mark Webber's fourth place meaning he jumped up into second place. Perhaps the biggest shock of the weekend was a first podium for Michael Schumacher since his return to the sport in 2010. Both his and Webber's strategy meant they were able to come through the field and claim major points just like Alonso did as all three started outside the top 10.

Fernando Alonso's victory marks a dramatic turnaround in fortunes for Ferrari as he stormed to victory in a car which was barely faster than the midfield cars at the start of the season, but now the car is as consistently fast as the Lotuses and the McLarens, certainly in race trim anyway but not quite up to the level of the Red Bulls as shown in the early race but we've still yet to see a straight fight between Alonso and Vettel which would provide a true reflection of where the teams are at.

Once again Lotus had the pace for a victory and had Grosjean not have retired he could well have possibly claimed a maiden win for him and the team. Kimi Raikkonen spent most of the race stuck behind Hamilton which prevented him from having a shot at Alonso and by the time he got past there were just a few laps remaining and claimed a comfortable second place which he said underwhelmed him, although since when has he ever been anything but that!?

Looking ahead to the British Grand Prix the atmosphere will once again be fever pitch as McLaren could well be in their best position yet to compete for victory with the high speed corners suiting the MP4-27 and knowing the British summer it could well be a cool day which will suit the car even better and both Hamilton and Button will be fighting for the win. Jenson Button has had a horrid record at Silverstone with no podium finishes in the 12 years he has been driving in Formula One. Hamilton has a better record with podiums in 2007 and 2010 and a famous win in the wet in 2008 where he destroyed the competition.

I know that quite a few members from this site are going to the grand prix and I hope that you all have a great weekend, providing McLaren can nail down their pit stops there is a very good chance that a British driver could be at the top step of the podium, or who knows, if Lotus can finally find the sweetspot then perhaps an eighth winner can be on the cards!

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/silverstone-circuit/

Some interesting stats i've found:

Up until Last year Ferrari hadn't won the British GP since 2007 where Kimi Raikkonen won the race. Fernando Alonso won the race last year for only the second time.

Mclaren haven't won this race since Lewis Hamiltons marvelous effort in 2008.

Between 2008 and 2011 - Red Bull won the British GP twice in a row.

Ferrari have won the most British GP's with 15, Mclaren are a very close 2nd behind them with 14. Which might surprise a few of you out there.

Jim Clarke and Alain Prost hold the record for the most winning driver at a British GP with 5 between them. Nigel Mansell has four himself!

It's a little quiet, are you sure this is the right place?

Attachments

• IMAG0254.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 227
I'm not!

I was thinking of cycling up on Sunday, to where I was in the piccie, as you can see the circuit from the road (just) and you would certainly be able to hear the cars. I just cannot afford the price of admission, but it is a nice ride up!!

Can't wait to be there again this year.

I'm not however looking forward to the weather forecast of rain (various varieties) for all three days. :givemestrength:

Apparently this is the garage order from pit entry to exit: Marussia, Hispania Racing, Caterham, Red Bull Racing, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Lotus, Force India, Sauber, Torro Rosso, Williams

Seems a bit random.

Last year, many people in the main grandstand were complaining as the couldn't see the garages of the top teams due to the sloping below-ground nature of the pit lane. The top teams couldn't be situated at the (ground level) other side of the pit lane as this would disturb the champagne-drinking members of the paddock club. So a compromise had to be reached for this year.

EDIT: The paddock club wanted to watch Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari, hence their positions in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom