Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

I have a special affection for the Australian GP, and I am really looking forward to the season starting in Melbourne again, as it should.shame I am not going to be able to watch live, as I also love getting up early to watch live, but alas no sky sports for me due to financial issues (a horse)

as I also love getting up early to watch live,
Same, everyone else is asleep and they finally shut up! Peace and quiet for Martin and Crofty!
They seemed to get along well that one Q3 when Martin stumbled into the 5Live commentary booth when they were looking for the key to the BBC one, Martin did refuse to stay though 'I gotta save things for my show' I quote him saying!

I have a special affection for the Australian GP, and I am really looking forward to the season starting in Melbourne again, as it should.shame I am not going to be able to watch live, as I also love getting up early to watch live, but alas no sky sports for me due to financial issues (a horse)

Yup, me too (except for the horse). I was nearly tempted to go Sky-wards but a 25% increase in my water rates and no pay rise this year have sealed any chance of buying into Sky even if I wanted to. I shall resort to cunning plan B - desert Kent - The Garden of England - for sunny Sussex (as I should do more often anyway) where I shall watch the season opener on someone else's Sky.

To compare the number of regular overtakes to the number of DRS overtakes per race I have supplied the data collected in the latest F1 Racing magazine. Some tracks were really helped by DRS, whereas the special tracks like Spa provided plenty of overtakes without the DRS.

Australia
Overtakes- 17
DRS- 5

Malaysia
Overtakes- 51
DRS- 18

China
Overtakes- 67
DRS- 37

Bahrain
Overtakes- 14
DRS- N/A

Spain
Overtakes- 51
DRS- 29

Monaco
Overtakes- 16
DRS- 2

Canada
Overtakes- 79
DRS- 17

Valencia
Overtakes- 27
DRS- 22

Britain
Overtakes- 22
DRS- 6

Germany
Overtakes- 15
DRS- N/A

Hungary
Overtakes- 55
DRS- 11

Belgium
Overtakes- 65
DRS- 24

Italy
Overtakes- 33
DRS- 18

Singapore
Overtakes- 44
DRS- 21

Japan
Overtakes- 61
DRS- 16

Korea
Overtakes- 29
DRS- 15

India
Overtakes- 18
DRS- 14

Abu Dhabi
Overtakes- 56
DRS- 50

United States
Overtakes- N/A
DRS- N/A

Brazil
Overtakes- 18
DRS- 7

DRS has watered down the spectacle of an overtake. Instead of the anticipation of an overtake being built up over a number of laps as a driver lines up for the pass, it has become more of an expectation. However, we were still treated to some impressive passes. We don't need too far past Alonso for some spectacular passes (having huge balls to pass Webber through Eua Rouge, and his amazing pass at Monza).

The formula has changed, but we did all complain about the lack of passing before the introduction of DRS. It may not be the perfect solution, but it is supplying a solution to our problem, even if it is not the solution that we wanted.

Thats the weird thing about DRS.

People always used to complain at the lack of overtaking, now they say there is too much.

I'm fine with it, if it increases overtaking then fine.

I just don't think it should be used in qualifying.

It is used in qualifying simply to force teams into longer 7th gears so they don't hit the limiter when using it in the race, which would make it pointless. I think Red Bull tended to have shorter 7th gears last year, knowing if they got pole they wouldn't need DRS.

I agree Downforce. DRS by definition is an overtaking tool. Its use during qualifying and practice makes no sense to me. If it was limited to the DRS zone then maybe, but as it is set up now I don't agree with it.

To be honest, I think there is reason to believe we will see an improvement in DRS this year, as the gap between tyres has been shortened and the FIA now have a year of understanding at all but 3 of the tracks. The big problem with DRS though is deskilling overtaking, which was one of the skills I most appreciated as a F1 fan.

Does anyone else deducted 2 days from the Australian GP countdown clock. :p For me, the Formula 1 season starts as soon as they start showing it.

Note: I am aware I am extremely fortunate to have Sky, considering I don't pay for it directly and they just happen to have it in our common room, and that for some people the season won't start till the highlights coverage on Saturday. :( I am dreading when I leave Uni this summer for not getting to follow every second of the weekend.

AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX WINNERS:

TBY.jpg

Thats the weird thing about DRS.

People always used to complain at the lack of overtaking, now they say there is too much.

I'm fine with it, if it increases overtaking then fine.

I just don't think it should be used in qualifying.

but i wanna see quality overtakes that involve risk and skill.
we would have less overtakes without drs,but better quality overtakes imo.quality over quantity.the prior seasons without drs were more exciting.
how many great overtakes can you remember from last season despite the large amount of overtakes.i can remember 5 or 6 at most.and its not just drs,its the weak tyres that make overtaking extremely easy too.they need to find the right balance,i dont think theyve found it yet.

I disagree. In 2010 the races were boring, but the fight for the championship was exciting. In 2011 the races were exciting, but the fight for the championship was boring. If we had 2010's races in 2011, I would propably have stopped following F1 halfway through the season (again, because I already did that around 2001, when Schumacher started (continously) winning and the championship got boring).

Define great overtakes.

5 or 6 is usually the amount I can remember from any season that are "great"

So it hasn't decreased and now there is more.

And as wombat says, dry races where everyone qualified in the right positions were dull as hell in 2010

Define great overtakes.

5 or 6 is usually the amount I can remember from any season that are "great"

So it hasn't decreased and now there is more.

And as wombat says, dry races where everyone qualified in the right positions were dull as hell in 2010

Completely agree, we still get the exciting passes like Alonso/ Button at Brazil (listen to the noise DC makes afterwards in the video), but frustrating situations were the cars just follow each other are avoided.

Back
Top Bottom