Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

To be honest, now the novelty factor has warn off from DRS, i agree it should be scrapped. Overtaking was one of the few things that was mainly about the driver, but they had to go make that about the car too.

I just watched a clip of Martin Brundle on overtaking from a few years ago and he says "we don't see as much overtaking as we would like, but it is like a brilliant goal or rugby try, often, well worth the wait" I'd have to say I agree. We probably had too little overtaking back then, now, it is too easy.

That said, their understanding of DRS will improve and hopefully they can continue to fiddle with it to make it a bit harder, but not too hard. This is only its second season and for the first time, they've seen its impact on all but 3 tracks.

I really can't wait till next week. Oddly, I think this is the most I've ever anticipated a season, which surprises me. I think it is because there are more unanswered questions than ever before. Is Vettel really that good? Is Lewis really that bad? Can Jenson beat Lewis again? Am I faster than Webber and Massa? Will Kimi make a good return? Will Schumacher make a good exit? Will Ferrari and Alonso challenge for the title? And will it be as tight as it looks? Just glad my student accommodation has Sky, which means I'm set till Hockenhium for coverage. :s

Between 16 & 1 and 12 & 13 for me.
Same
All this talk about turns 16-1 and 2-3 i think is wrong, i dont think the FIA can be that stupid to put them side by side, it would be too easy

Double DRS in Aus!

They'll have to put it between turn 16-1 and 2-3. Thats the only two places it'll work to good effect. Between turns 12 and 13 would be too short IMO.

Double DRS makes it so difficult to shake off a driver. They need to make sure the zones aren't too long. Chances are 1 or the other is going to create an overtake if a driver is fast enough.

What is everyone expecting from Massa and Webber this year? Webber's lack of pace and awful starts, last year, surely has to have his seat in question for 2013, even if it does suit Vettel to have a non-competitive driver. As for Massa, I think a Kubica return spells the end for Felipe no matter what he does this season.

According to Insiders of Red Bull - Webber seems alot more confident at this time this year than last. So i'm expecting him to be a fair bit closer to Vettel this season than last.

Massa on the other hand i'm not too sure on him. Ferrari don't look in good shape going into the season but i'm hoping he'll be alot more closer to Alonso than he was last year.

That sounds good on Webber. I don't mind Webber as a driver, but he ruined the competitive of last season. How on earth did he finish so far behind his team mate. :o We need Mark to keep Seb honest when others cars aren't fast enough to compete. Ironically, I think the lack of competition for Vettel from his team mate worked brilliantly for Red Bull, when you compare the previous year where there was very little between them.

will have 2 DRS zones (1 in 2011). Detection1 Entry T14 and Activation1 Exit T16(main straight), Activation2 Exit T2 Xevi Pujolar Pastors race engineer

Yeah, they should avoid putting DRS in natural overtaking zones. People can use DRS to get close enough, then slipstream down to Turn 3. Shame they've gone stuck it there, but will produce overtakes I guess.

It is a shame that DRS has made KERS pretty pointless. I think the strategic use of KERS is far more interesting and natural. Then again, wasn't only 40% of overtakes done by DRS last year or something?

Quoted so people could see the sublime message twice :D

lol well it should be,it pisses me off.it makes many overtakes artificial,and it makes overtaking easier for drivers who wernt very good at it before.
we may have had more overtakes than ever last season,but we saw the least quality overtakes ever too.that speaks for itself.

That sounds good on Webber. I don't mind Webber as a driver, but he ruined the competitive of last season. How on earth did he finish so far behind his team mate. :o We need Mark to keep Seb honest when others cars aren't fast enough to compete. Ironically, I think the lack of competition for Vettel from his team mate worked brilliantly for Red Bull, when you compare the previous year where there was very little between them.

at times webber was given an inferior car,and he struggled with the tyres.
we'll see if its the same this season.if not,i think webber will be stronger competition for vettel.

They'll ban DRS by popular demand, then be flooded by complaints that F1's boring and is just cars following each other around.

edit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom