Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

Are you talking about the headline? Because if that qualifies as a "blast", then I'd hate to see him take a "swipe" at somebody.

Seriously though, I know you were referring to Hamilton's imagination, and I can't remember seeing Lewis get balked by Michael. They did have to lap him on two separate occasions though, Laps 48 and 54, and I think we only saw one of these on the broadcast.

I think it is safe to say that Lewis is not quite in "awe" of Schumi anymore though.

"Did Michael block you Lewis?"
"Uhh maybe I dunno."
"Are you angry at him, Lewis?"
"Wait, wha-"
"You're furious, aren't you, Lewis?"
"I didn't say th-"
"Have you spoken to Michael?"
"I'm not going to waste my time or my breath here any further."
< To another respective journo >
"He said he wouldn't waste time talking to Michael, right?"
"Sorry, I was asleep. It's a hard life, this."
< Mirror journo scribbles out quote and replaces it with convenient dialogue >
"Another quality story."

Enja, that was right along the line I was going when I said it must be a figment of somebody's imagination .....
..... you're not a tabloid hack, by any chance ? ? ? ? LOL

Enja, that was right along the line I was going when I said it must be a figment of somebody's imagination .....
..... you're not a tabloid hack, by any chance ? ? ? ? LOL

I don't think so - at least, I know I'm not surrounded by multi-million pound yachts, beautiful women, sparkling seaside and 24 breathtakingly fast cars.

Not yet at least.

Yes, every time we saw the flaps open today it just looked too late

Erm.... You speak for yourself........ :o :whistle:

Anyway, I think this weekend in terms of overtaking DRS will be as useful as a chocolate fireguard as turn 1 is hardly an overtaking spot at the best of times

This is interesting...

Q. (Byron Young – The Daily Mirror) Michael, you've had various critics of your on-track tactics over the years, including Rubens sitting up there. The latest is Lewis Hamilton. He said you interfered with the battle for the lead in the last race. You let your friend Seb Vettel through, I think in the last ten laps, and forced him to go wide and onto the marbles a few seconds later. Is that right, or is that wrong, or don't you care?
MS: I don't recall it and I don't think it would make sense because I think I have a lot more… although Seb is my friend, but then Lewis is running a Mercedes engine and that's obviously a lot more important to me, not that I try to favour or not favour anybody. No, that certainly must have been a misunderstanding, but not my idea. I try to keep out of everybody's way and just do my own thing.

A Mercedes engine is important to Schumacher, he needs to be careful and watch what he says, it might land him in some trouble.

Hmm.
Would that be the same Byron Young of the same Daily Mirror that 'quoted' Hamilton as 'fuming' with Michael when no other agency, sporting or otherwise, has recorded Lewis saying anything remotely along those lines at all since Sunday, from the press conference onwards?
When Hamilton, who was most badly impeded not by Schumacher but by Karthikeyan (to the point where he gestured to him on his way past) yet has failed to make a single comment even about that incident in any interview since the race?

Until I hear a bona fide source verifying that Hamilton actually has criticised Schumacher in the way claimed in the Mirror, I will continue to smell a 'reporter' following the tried and trusted method of not allowing facts to get in the way of a good story.

Just visited James Allen's site for the first time in dog's age. Not a peep about this story. It's the kind of thing he used to pick up on but the quality of his writing seems to have improved. Maybe, that kind off thing doesn't rock his boat anymore but you would think that if there was any truth in it he might have mentioned it if only in passing. The ...... is a rag anyway.8-)

To be fair to James Allen he wasn't the greatest F1 commentator but he is a well respected journalist who often reads between the lines and delivers good articles that generally turn out as he writes them.

What a
friggin' anus
.:givemestrength:

Edit: Since my above remark may be construed as being abusive I will delete this post in the morning unless El Mod's dispose of it sooner (or in the unlikely event that it is not abusive enough El Mod's tell me that I can leave it in).

Better? FB ;)

I find it stupid that when making up quotes journalists always forget to copy people's mannerisms. What actually happened was:

PR lady - "Byron Young is here from the mirror and wants to talk to you about Michael Schumacher blocking you and not Vettel in spain"
Lewis - "I won't speak to him about it - I don't want to waste my time or my breath."

I can't wait for tomorrow (well, today) for these guys to hit the track. The most interesting race track to watch when cars are simply driving round. Reckon we might see a few crashes while the guys get use to the new tyres and tyre wear. I can't see Seb getting pole here. He tends to use a lot of the track when on a single lap run for pole and you can't really do that here. Reckon Lewis for pole and win this weekend. We hope/need someone to stop him here.

What a
friggin' anus.
:givemestrength:

Edit: Since my above remark may be construed as being abusive I will delete this post in the morning unless El Mod's dispose of it sooner (or in the unlikely event that it is not abusive enough El Mod's tell me that I can leave it in).
Too late, we've seen it. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom