Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

A shot of the repaired tarmac.

scaled.php

Courtesy of http://yfrog.com/h0nhflyj

Nice of them to park another truck in the same spot, hopefully this one won't burn! Do we know what was in it and what caused the fire?

I don't really have much interesting to say about the race except that the whole Monaco weekend is probably my favourite of the year - Thursday is often a lot of fun, watching the cars slide around on a green track, just inches from the walls. I love it.

Renault seems like they are in contention for the win - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91686

How they have came to that conclusion I don't know, as they don't have Kubica in the car doing this:

I know I put this up before in the thread, but it was a fine lap, perfect lap I would say, the Renault wasn't as competitive in previous races, but due to Kubica and the nature of the track that suited their car a little more, they acheived a podium.

EDIT: P.S I think I am in love with this lap :heart:

Renault will definetely be competitive this weekend, I wouldn't be suprised to see either Heidfeld or Petrov (or maybe both) in the top six come Sunday

I'm looking forward to this race simply for the anticipation of less Vettel dominance.

From JA:
Looking at the record of Sebastian Vettel around Monaco, he does not seem to be as strong between the barriers as at he is on other, more open circuits.

That's cos he's so used to using the run-off areas as part of his racing line LOL

Yes, it's more that I like the way that other great drivers can drag their inferior machinery into contention from nowhere. As many people have mentioned, a real shame no Kubica this time.

Not to be spiteful, but I hope Vettel sticks it in the barrier in Q1 and has to start right at the back if only to close up the championship. As it stands Vettel is 41 points clear of Hamilton, which to put in perspective is 16 points in old money (I think).

Is Hamilton trying to put pressure on the wrong German in the build up to Monaco....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motor...redicts-red-bull-bloody-nose-115875-23156171/

..... or is this just tabloid bull****?

I can't remember any incident involving the two of them last weekend and, since Schumi didn't feature in Chump of the weekend, I have to suggest this must be a figment of somebody's imagination!

I have seen this on a few websites, even on BBC I think. I didn't see Schumacher block him thought he was fair, when he gets lapped he lets them through comfortably.

He should be complaining at the HRT that held him up twice, which he can do since you have 4 blue flags before you get DSQ or penalised (don't know if that rule applies) if it does, then I don't see why drivers complain.

Edit: correction, it was skysports/planetf1 not BBC I think

..... or is this just tabloid bull****?

I can't remember any incident involving the two of them last weekend and, since Schumi didn't feature in Chump of the weekend, I have to suggest this must be a figment of somebody's imagination!

Well it is the mirror, hardly the most reliable of sources... and seeing as Hamilton hasn't said anything before I'd discount this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom