Grand Prix 2011 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The championship is still alive!!!!!!!!!!! Okay that may be a bit over optomistic

Despite another crushing win by Vettel in Singapore, Buttons valiant second place ensures that the championship mathematically remains possible for the experienced Britain, but for him to take his second world title he requires Vettel to not finish in all the remain races and Button to win every race and to be honest there is as much chance of me winning the lottery.

Indeed, Button has had a strong 2011 and this would be more highlighted if it wasnt for the sheer dominance of Vettel who has taken a podium in every race apart from Germany. He has outperformed his beleagured team mate Hamilton who is under severe pressure from the media after another incident, this time with Massa who didn't take kindly to it and made his feelings clear after the race.

But at Ferrari they seem to be going through the motions after a great win at Silverstone, Alonso has strong drives without challenging and Massa is regularly in the middle of the points without ever challenging the podium, surely he'll be on the way out soon as he's not performing at a level that Ferrari require him to be if they want to be serious Constructors Champions in the future.

Big news at Mercedes as Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis have joined the team, with the team struggling (in comparison) since their return to the sport in 2010, these two signings might just get them back at the front in the near future and might convince Schumacher to extend his contract, Singapore aside, Schumacher's performances have been a lot better this season and at the very least he has matched Rosberg and perhaps there is still life in the old dog yet and the podium might not be too far away.

Japan has become famous for title deciders with Prost/Senna being the most memorable with the crashes at the final chicane and turn 1 being some of the most controversial in the sport (particularly the latter after a dispute over the start position). The track is regarded as one of the best driver tracks on the calendar, second only to Spa and returned to the calendar in 2009 after Fuji pulled out of F1 due to financial problems after holding the grand prix in 2007 and 2008 where Hamilton and Alonso won respectively.

No doubt the championship will be won in Suzuka but you never know, stranger things have happened in F1, surely the reliability of the Red Bull can't hold out forever, can we hope?

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/suzuka-international-racing-course/

There would still be a competition at the top though, even as a Hamilton fan I've still enjoyed some of the racing this year, even in races where Hamilton has done poorly or even crashed.

There would still be a competition at the top though, even as a Hamilton fan I've still enjoyed some of the racing this year, even in races where Hamilton has done poorly or even crashed.

Me too, but I felt a bit silly in my Lewis Hamilton hat and McLaren shirt in the stands at Spa. Then I took my hat off and pretended to be a Button fan.

I haven't read the thread thoroughly (you guys sure are active for these early sessions!) so perhaps these things have been raised already. Still, on I plow..

I thought it was quite an interesting qualifying session. Disappointing, certainly, since it looked - for once - that we had a real scrap on our hands, and let us not forget that really, we did. But it was the nature of the further 'controversy' or continuing mishaps of Hamilton that seems to make us forget that fact. It was great to see Vettel really pushing the limits of the car when too many times this year it has looked like it's plain sailing for him in Q3. But remember, Button was only 0.009s behind him! Can't get much closer than that. It was more a case of what could've been for McLaren, so I think that's the reason we're all left a little hollow despite a good effort from Button.

With regards to Button potentially holding up Hamilton - very unlikely. If it were the case, surely for it to be of a disadvantage to Hamilton it would therealso have warranted a penalty for Button? Since there was no grievance on Hamilton's part nor an investigation by race control you have to assume that everything was above board in that sense and that Button did not deliberately attempt to stop Hamilton from reaching the start line in time.

On qualifying needing to be changed - I'm not sure. On the one hand, we have had this weekend a pretty good scrap for the first four positions, and the rest behind, with only the bottom of Q3 becoming a 'problem'. I think what has really caused this is the uncompetitiveness of the cars behind the top 3 teams, particularly in Q1. Since there is such a big gap between the likes of Red Bull and even a team like Renault, in Q1 and Q2 I think it forces the hand of the middle-lower teams such as STR and Sauber to throw on an extra set of tyres. They know they can't get into the top 6 on equal tyres so they want to achieve 7th to ensure security. With less of a gap between the top teams and the middle teams, you would assume that the top teams themselves would start to get nervous of potentially being knocked out. This would then force their hand, which would result in everyone having used a similar allocation of tyres by Q3 - meaning a fairer and more equal tyre selection. If everyone in the top 10 has used either 3 or 4 sets of the soft tyres, they must all then set their times on tyres that have similar degradation to those around them, which would be an incentive for the teams in the 7-10th range to go for a run, again, because they on similar tyres to their competitors.

That also comes down to the closeness of the midfield this year in comparison to the top teams - if they weren't bunched up together so tightly they wouldn't be half as keen to throw on a set of soft tyres in Q1. Likewise, if the HRTs, Lotus and Virgins of this world were more competitive, the situation might even get worse. Perhaps it's only because there is one realistic position of risk in Q1 (18th)..

On a wider point I think F1 needs to look at the competitiveness of the teams in outright pace, even just a couple of years ago it 'felt' closer. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a couple of sessions in 2009 where 1st-23rd was separated by 1s (with Luca Badoer a further second behind in 24th).

On a wider point I think F1 needs to look at the competitiveness of the teams in outright pace, even just a couple of years ago it 'felt' closer. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a couple of sessions in 2009 where 1st-23rd was separated by 1s (with Luca Badoer a further second behind in 24th).

In 2009 it seems that is was the exact opposite of '11 - really exciting quali's but rubbish races. At one GP - I think it was Britain - the ENTIRE field was separated by 1.6 seconds in Q1 - the top 19 by 1.3 seconds.

I think you're probably right, but what should be done about it?

Well I'm actually lying. I had the generic McLaren beanie hat on. Now I'm trying to justify to myself why I actually said that but I've lost my point. Time to put the lid back on the Havanah Club.

Havana Club is a dangerous drink, I better confiscate it off you.

As for the qualifying it was the closest we have had to a non Red Bull car on pole. Has any team ever locked out the number 1 spot for a full season?

Also I can see a rule coming in soon to make sure all cars who make it through to Q3 have to do some running. Only 6 Drivers completing a flying lap is a joke.

Has any team ever locked out the number 1 spot for a full season?

Alfa Romeo in 1950 (6 races) and Ferrari in 1952 (7 races).

In recent years McLaren managed 15 of 16 in both 1988 and 1989, while Williams did the same in 1992 and 1993. Ferrari's otherwise dominant 2004 car only took 12 of the 18 available poles (the Michelin/Bridgestone tyre war had much to do with that).

I can't count the amount of times the BBC has said that Jenson has a possibility of winning the championship during this weekend's coverage. What ridiculous sensationalism. It's the one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and I'm hearing it on repeat. :givemestrength:

There really is something special about these early mornings. Knowing that most people are tucked up in thier beds whilst I've got a duvet wrapped round me on the sofa. It's just me, F1 and all it's fans globally connected through our televisions and our commitment to the sport we love.

Good morning everybody. Enjoy.

They're trying to ensure you love them enough to watch their highlighhts shows next year.
Edit.... In response to your head banging comment.

I can't count the amount of times the BBC has said that Jenson has a possibility of winning the championship during this weekend's coverage. What ridiculous sensationalism. It's the one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and I'm hearing it on repeat. :givemestrength:

Only way he'll win the championship is if they retrospectively ban the Red Bull for the season. I have heard this muted somewhere.

Only way he'll win the championship is if they retrospectively ban the Red Bull for the season. I have heard this muted somewhere.

They would have to find something wrong with it first and they haven't been able to do that. Even if they did, it would not do the sport any favours to apply any retrospective penalties unless they were to come across a blatant and substantial intentional flouting of the rules as opposed to a bending or creative interpretation of the rules.

Anyway, about 60 seconds 'til lights out. Woooooo!!

Back
Top Bottom