Grand Prix 2011 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The championship is still alive!!!!!!!!!!! Okay that may be a bit over optomistic

Despite another crushing win by Vettel in Singapore, Buttons valiant second place ensures that the championship mathematically remains possible for the experienced Britain, but for him to take his second world title he requires Vettel to not finish in all the remain races and Button to win every race and to be honest there is as much chance of me winning the lottery.

Indeed, Button has had a strong 2011 and this would be more highlighted if it wasnt for the sheer dominance of Vettel who has taken a podium in every race apart from Germany. He has outperformed his beleagured team mate Hamilton who is under severe pressure from the media after another incident, this time with Massa who didn't take kindly to it and made his feelings clear after the race.

But at Ferrari they seem to be going through the motions after a great win at Silverstone, Alonso has strong drives without challenging and Massa is regularly in the middle of the points without ever challenging the podium, surely he'll be on the way out soon as he's not performing at a level that Ferrari require him to be if they want to be serious Constructors Champions in the future.

Big news at Mercedes as Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis have joined the team, with the team struggling (in comparison) since their return to the sport in 2010, these two signings might just get them back at the front in the near future and might convince Schumacher to extend his contract, Singapore aside, Schumacher's performances have been a lot better this season and at the very least he has matched Rosberg and perhaps there is still life in the old dog yet and the podium might not be too far away.

Japan has become famous for title deciders with Prost/Senna being the most memorable with the crashes at the final chicane and turn 1 being some of the most controversial in the sport (particularly the latter after a dispute over the start position). The track is regarded as one of the best driver tracks on the calendar, second only to Spa and returned to the calendar in 2009 after Fuji pulled out of F1 due to financial problems after holding the grand prix in 2007 and 2008 where Hamilton and Alonso won respectively.

No doubt the championship will be won in Suzuka but you never know, stranger things have happened in F1, surely the reliability of the Red Bull can't hold out forever, can we hope?

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/suzuka-international-racing-course/

Ahem in Spa Jenson had to give way to Lewis to do his run and in turn it meant he did not have enough time to his run in Q2
Not quite true - Button thort he was on a 'slow' lap when he wasn't - he just wasn't fuelled enough - nothing to do with time to do a run

Bill Boddy said
The driver with most to lose was Vettel, he wanted pole. He left it as late as possible but early enough to ensure that he would be in clear air. Ferrari reacted first, followed by the McLarens, then Schumacher got involved inadvertently. Due to the lateness and all the drivers wanting at least four seconds, and preferably more, of clear air there was just, and only just, enough time for everyone to get over the start/finish line in time. But due to the earlier drivers making larger spaces for themselves it became all to cramped. The result was what we saw, three drivers fighting over the last chance to get a lap in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are right......you are very right, yes you are right...etc

Out of interest, apart from what you've written making little sense, I presume you mean Schumacher was only fuelled for 2 laps? Also, what evidence do you have for Button's "brain fade" as you put it?
I deleted my post ..it was to follow ll-Leone re Spa when JB was fueled for two laps.... & he made a boob & had to go into pits............Someone else has also answered this.... see above.
Sorry for confusion:goodday:

Hmm. I too deleted a post which was to complement Bill on his excellent analysis. A load of posts popped up in between. So, following F1ang-o's lead here it is back again.

"Spot on, Bill. A thundering voice of reason.":thumbsup:

Ahem in Spa Jenson had to give way to Lewis to do his run and in turn it meant he did not have enough time to his run in Q2

Not true. There was a miscommunication and Jenson thought he was on an inlap when he was supposed to set a time. I followed that race more than any other this year. In fact, I went there and was sitting directly opposite the McLaren garage.

But lets look on the brightside for Lewis fans shall we? Lewis is on the clean side of the track with the 2 fastest starters in the race - Alonso and Schumi - now both on the dirty side - Massa may be a threat in 5th behind him as he starts quickly too but I think mainly he can afford to look forward. Vettel's usual start involved him cutting across to make sure 2nd doesn't get a run on him which hopefully will leave Lewis with the gap he needs to jump both Button and Vettel into the first corner. Then although he won't have as fresh tyres as them he has a sprint stint to build a gap and hopefully coming in early will play to his advantage and he'll build his lead in the undercut.

Thats how I see it.

if Mclaren wanted to screw Lewis Hamilton then the number of times he's blasted the team he would have been given a carpetting by Ron Dennis\like in Hungary 2007 except Alonso made an even bigger fool of himself

and lastly so a guy who they have invested themselves in for the last 15years or so and

some of you think Mclaren want to force him out so to join one of two of their biggest rivals to beat them and deny them success

Right I understand some people's logical views when they are concocting conspiracies why Lewis is not more successful at Mclaren:whistle:

Massa's 4th on the Grid.

It was good to see him out-qualifying Alonso again. That's 3 times in recent months. Spa and Suzuka are two 'drivers circuits' so its odd that Nando's been out-qualified at those two venues.
Agreed, on his day Massa is bloody quick, often unbeatable when he’s leading and can smell victory, but then just seems to have many other days when he looks average, specially if he has problems or starts lower down the field. Again it could be a tyre thing. Hope he has a strong race.

I don't think this thread needs accusations and counter-accusations of conspiracies etc.

If you don't like what someone has posted, then please press the Report button which is available at the bottom left of the offending post rather than criticising the member on threads, as this serves to derail the thread.

Back
Top Bottom