Grand Prix 2010 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so it's into the great unknown that will be the Korean GP. As Galahad has already stated in his GP Preview, we know so little about this track, since there hasn't even been a test event to prove the circuit and so trying to guess the winner here would be almost impossible.

It's perhaps ironic that this race should be critical to a drivers hope for the title and yet because it's a new track be a complete unknown until they turn a wheel in anger on Friday. As a result I imagine the simulators and their programmers have been working overtime in the last couple of weeks in order that as much pre-race knowledge can be gleaned from every bite of the computer's memory.

Of course we all know that the big three are going to be there or there about this weekend but imagine what could happen if one is currently relying on mis-leading simulator data? Then there is also the risk that one of the chasing teams may hit upon a set up that could throw them right in the mix and spoil the party for one of the lead teams. With the recent improvements in the pace of the Mercedes, Williams and Renault cars (as long as they can keep it on the grey stuff) that's not out of the question either.

One thing I think it's not too difficult to say is that this race is now a must finish and must finish well for all 5 of the lead drivers. Mistakes that were made in the last few races must be forgotten and all thoughts should be on the job.

So the question is, which of the lead teams will be the best prepared and be on the pace from the off? Friday testing will be critical to establish the level of performance of the car so who will have the psychological advantage putting the fast laps in from day one?

It should be a fascinating weekend.

Finally Paul Di Resta will once again sit this weekend out to allow both Force India drivers maximum time at the wheel.

teabagyokel said:
Are there any support races in Korea tomorrow morning. If not I'll be as pleased as punch for sure*.

A grand total of 30 mins running for the Hyundai series and I'm sure the flatbed truck they use for the drivers parade will help get the rubber down as well :whistle:

teabagyokel said:
So, there will be dust...

Are there any support races in Korea tomorrow morning. If not I'll be as pleased as punch for sure*.

*The contagious for sure virus, the Raikkogen is spreading. Please help the site by finding a cure.

No dust if it's rained and I have the antidote.

A swift punch to the bridge of the nose followed by a sharp kick to the goolies administered every time the affliction manifests it's self and you should be right as rain (pun intended) in 5 or 6 months.

Glad I got up as the recording on BBC1 would have been pretty useless; would have been much better IMO if they had kept it on BBC1 and moved Andrew Marr to BBC2. I don't usually criticize him but Leggard was useless today and surely he must be replaced in the summer, Ben Edwards please

Disaster for Red Bull and Button, it is a 4 horse race IMO and I see no real point in using Jenson for anything else but helping Lewis. I tipped Alonso about 3 months ago but my instinct is that I am gonna change; Alonso I feel will have problems with his last engine in Brazil and Abu Dhabi while I cannot see the Red Bulls throwing their weight behind Webber even though it is very tough for Vettel to win it. I'm tipping Lewis, Alonso will blow up somewhere, Vettel and Webber will take points off each other while Lewis will pick up the pieces and nick it by a couple of points.

One of the most exciting races of the year, and definitley the most important. Webber makes a simple error, and it costs him big time (and rosberg to a lesser extent). Horner will no doubt be moaning about the renault engines, despite this being their first breakdown for quite a while. Alonso and hamilton drove good races, and intresting that alonso engine managed the four races with somewhat ease, winning 2 or 3 i think. Bring on Interlagos!

BlackCountryBob said:
Glad I got up as the recording on BBC1 would have been pretty useless; would have been much better IMO if they had kept it on BBC1 and moved Andrew Marr to BBC2. I don't usually criticize him but Leggard was useless today and surely he must be replaced in the summer, Ben Edwards please

Disaster for Red Bull and Button, it is a 4 horse race IMO and I see no real point in using Jenson for anything else but helping Lewis. I tipped Alonso about 3 months ago but my instinct is that I am gonna change; Alonso I feel will have problems with his last engine in Brazil and Abu Dhabi while I cannot see the Red Bulls throwing their weight behind Webber even though it is very tough for Vettel to win it. I'm tipping Lewis, Alonso will blow up somewhere, Vettel and Webber will take points off each other while Lewis will pick up the pieces and nick it by a couple of points.
I didn't get up, but recorded the program after as well, can't believe the idiots went to BBC2, so still not seen the end of the race yet as they haven't got it on iPlayer yet.. >:( :givemestrength:

Oh, and Legard is an imbecile!! :givemestrength: :givemestrength:

The circuit gets a resounding thumbs up from me, not a boring track with 5 mile wide run-offs. Next years race is going to be brilliant when the tarmac is properly done. Certainly plenty of overtaking, even if it was wet. For once well done Bernie/Tilke :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Speshal said:
[quote:2iquzkvi]Chad Stewarthill said:
(barring accidents or mechanical problems - so I'm getting my wax dolls of Mark & Seb ready just in case).

That seemed to have worked well [/quote:2iquzkvi]
Damn! I forgot the Alonso doll; must remember that for Interlagos. :whistle:

And although I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt up till now, Legard must go! :givemestrength:

McLarenSupremo said:
The circuit gets a resounding thumbs up from me, not a boring track with 5 mile wide run-offs. Next years race is going to be brilliant when the tarmac is properly done. Certainly plenty of overtaking, even if it was wet. For once well done Bernie/Tilke :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've got to agree with you. It was very unlike the normal Tilkedrome which usually features massive run offs and huge strips of tarmac.

The last set of corners before the start finish line seem almost blind with the proximity of the walls to the track. It looked seriously tricky from the onboard camera view and gave you a real sense of speed while watching the cars.

The pit lane exit looked a bit daft to me. I'd want to change that so that it joine the track after the first corner instead of blending cars into it, which could be a bit tricky if two cars are trying to overtake into that corner and come screaming down into the breaking zone to find a much slower car trying to merge onto the track.

Yep, all in all, I'd say that this track looks like a winner.

I figured it out in FP3, what track this track reminds me of.

Fuji.

Some cambered corners, huge straight, a little bit of elevation change, blind corners, a mix of run off and wall.

Going to keep my council on the track until we have seen a dry race. The weather really mixed things up and gave us an exciting spectacle but I don't think it's possible to decide whether it's a Spa or a Barcelona until we have seen cars running in the dry.

I've only just caught the end of the race due to BBC only having the 1st part on iplayer. Excellent result for Alonso and Hamilton, Could of been a Hamilton win if he had only kept it together after the safety car.

Nice to see Vettel's race end in a ball of smoke and flames, how many engines has he got left now? I've got a feeling they won't be able to use that one again. Webber could of thrown the championship away with his spin.

Excellent race and gripping to the end.

Like most people I had to wait for the replay later on BBC1 thanks to them switching channels during the early broadcast
Was it really that important to have Andrew Marr on BBC1 thereby ensuring that thousands of recordings were useless?

Anyway, what a race!
Nail biting to the end thanks to the tyres going off.

What a shame for Red Bull, Vettel and Webber. No, really...

Alonso is in prime position now.
He only has to finish in 3rd place at the last 2 races to take the title by a single point.

Brogan said
He only has to finish in 3rd place at the last 2 races to take the title by a single point.

If that transpires it will forever be a title tainted by the situation in Germany. For Alonso to win this title he has to be at least 8 points clear of the 2nd place man to deserve any respect.

I got my figures wrong anyway, he's only 11 points ahead of Mark, 21 of Lewis.

I agree though, he needs to win by more than 8 points for it to mean anything.

Just had a thought, if either Mark or Seb need a new gearbox then that's going to mean a grid drop at Brazil.

They're both in mid-cycle at the moment: http://www.f1wolf.com/2010-season

Edit: Looking at that, this was the 4th event for Mark's gearbox so he will be OK.
Only the 2nd event for Seb though.

Back
Top Bottom