Grand Prix 2010 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so it's into the great unknown that will be the Korean GP. As Galahad has already stated in his GP Preview, we know so little about this track, since there hasn't even been a test event to prove the circuit and so trying to guess the winner here would be almost impossible.

It's perhaps ironic that this race should be critical to a drivers hope for the title and yet because it's a new track be a complete unknown until they turn a wheel in anger on Friday. As a result I imagine the simulators and their programmers have been working overtime in the last couple of weeks in order that as much pre-race knowledge can be gleaned from every bite of the computer's memory.

Of course we all know that the big three are going to be there or there about this weekend but imagine what could happen if one is currently relying on mis-leading simulator data? Then there is also the risk that one of the chasing teams may hit upon a set up that could throw them right in the mix and spoil the party for one of the lead teams. With the recent improvements in the pace of the Mercedes, Williams and Renault cars (as long as they can keep it on the grey stuff) that's not out of the question either.

One thing I think it's not too difficult to say is that this race is now a must finish and must finish well for all 5 of the lead drivers. Mistakes that were made in the last few races must be forgotten and all thoughts should be on the job.

So the question is, which of the lead teams will be the best prepared and be on the pace from the off? Friday testing will be critical to establish the level of performance of the car so who will have the psychological advantage putting the fast laps in from day one?

It should be a fascinating weekend.

Finally Paul Di Resta will once again sit this weekend out to allow both Force India drivers maximum time at the wheel.

McLarenSupremo said:
Yamamoto 10th and 11th!? :o :o :o since when did the HRT get straight-line speed?

They decided to run a very low downforce setup this weekend.

Not that they had a choice

The Red Bulls are gone at the start

Its not the first time that the pit lane entry has caused drama. At Singapore in 08 they painted over the white line because the drivers had to brake through the last corner to go into the pits. They changed it for 09.

One of the better qualy's well worth getting up at 6 for. The dirty side of the grid could see webber/hamilton really suffer if it is a bad as everyone thinks, and with vettel's record alonso could find himself leading into turn 2. Can't see the mclarens doing to much damage, a bad rae here could see one or both driver ruled out of the title race completely. With rain looming i have to say im really looking forward to tommorow :)

McLarenSupremo said:
Yamamoto 10th and 11th!? :o :o :o since when did the HRT get straight-line speed?

Since the beginning of the season. The car has so little downforce that it doesn't produce much drag.

Even a green track reverted the drivers to type, looking at the grid:

Vet, Web, Alo, Ham, Ros, Mas, But, Kub

The first 3 corners of this race may just decide like Japan on the outcome of the race. Not that I don't see overtaking chances (I do), just expecially turn 3 at the end of the 1st long straight I can see a coming together myself....

Puhoon said:
McLarenSupremo said:

Since the beginning of the season. The car has so little downforce that it doesn't produce much drag.
I'm not so sure, they were the two slowest in monza, even slower than jenson with hs high downforce setup.

Pos No Driver Time of Day Speed
1 17 Jaime Alguersuari 14:08:16 348.7
2 16 Sebastien Buemi 14:08:54 346.4
3 2 Lewis Hamilton 14:59:50 344.3
20 15 Vitantonio Liuzzi 14:02:54 331.5
21 25 Lucas di Grassi 14:05:42 331.0
22 1 Jenson Button 14:04:52 329.5
23 21 Bruno Senna 14:16:09 324.5
24 20 Sakon Yamamoto 14:05:44 324.2

Maybe HRT actually brought an upgrade?

Surely by now everyone can agree the title fight is amongst 3 drivers: Webber, Vettel, Alonso.

Despite McLaren's repeated claims that they have made improvements at every race, the 0.5 second gap still exists.

All McLaren can really hope for is to hang on to 2nd in the Constructors' championship.

Still a race to happen, Brogan!

Anything can happen, and it will do.

There'll be-a-twist-a-coming, you'll see. ;)

tooncheesef1 said:
Puhoon said:
McLarenSupremo said:

I'm not so sure, they were the two slowest in monza, even slower than jenson with hs high downforce setup.

Pos No Driver Time of Day Speed
1 17 Jaime Alguersuari 14:08:16 348.7
2 16 Sebastien Buemi 14:08:54 346.4
3 2 Lewis Hamilton 14:59:50 344.3
20 15 Vitantonio Liuzzi 14:02:54 331.5
21 25 Lucas di Grassi 14:05:42 331.0
22 1 Jenson Button 14:04:52 329.5
23 21 Bruno Senna 14:16:09 324.5
24 20 Sakon Yamamoto 14:05:44 324.2

Maybe HRT actually brought an upgrade?

They have the same set-up for every race, because they can't afford anything better. Hence, at Monza they were running high downforce but at Monte Carlo they were running low downforce. They have the same setup at every race!

Anyone know where to find the sector times for qualie? The Red Bull's are super quick through the end of sector 2 and sector 3 but there doesn't look to be anywhere to overtake through that section. I can see the Mclaren's and Ferrari's blasting past them on the straights in Sector 1 and then them struggling to get past in the twisty bits.

FB said:
The Red Bull's are super quick through the end of sector 2 and sector 3 but there doesn't look to be anywhere to overtake through that section. I can see the Mclaren's and Ferrari's blasting past them on the straights in Sector 1 and then them struggling to get past in the twisty bits.
Only if they can get past on lap one though; once the Red Bulls get away in front, the rest will never catch them (barring accidents or mechanical problems - so I'm getting my wax dolls of Mark & Seb ready just in case).

Expect the unexpected! No one expected the Red Bulls to have a 0.5s advantage in Q3, least of all Lewis Hamilton, who had been right on the pace if not setting it all weekend, right up to Q3.

McLaren have usually had to make up a one second a lap deficit in race pace and have often done that, rain may rescue their title hopes or perhaps Fernando will do a demon start, overtake Mark and rear end Sebastian. And then there's the unexpected which has had us on the edge of our seats all season long...

:s It's quite extraordinary how the last four or five totally inexplicable and unexpected things have so very nearly kicked McLaren's whole season into touch. I'm looking forward to a change in misfortune... :bored:

Weather Gods do your stuff.

Its certainly looking all over for McLaren this season, out of the three others in the hunt, I can only hope it is Webber who wins it as the other two would be unbearable..

They're saying that the P2,4,6,8 side of the grid will be dusty, but there is predicted rain overnight so it will probably be all the same come to the red lights going out!

VET/WEB STARTS:

AUS - Lap 1 VET 1  WEB 3
CHN - Lap 1 VET 3 WEB 2 [Alonso Jump Start]
EUR - Lap 1 VET 1 WEB 9
GBR - Lap 1 VET 24 WEB 1
HUN - Lap 1 VET 1 WEB 3
JPN - Lap 1 VET 1 WEB 3

Not once this season has a Vettel 1 Webber 2 front row ended lap one with two Red Bulls at the front of the field (although Alonso's JS at China accounts for this).

Be interesting to see if this trend continues!

The rain isn't predicted - it's been falling for the past 3 hours and to the best of my knowledge, it is still raining there.

Right now the forecast is for the rain to continue up until soon before the race, and it may come back during the race. So it looks like we might have a damp start.

Green track ahead of us for sure. Should be fun.

So, there will be dust...

Are there any support races in Korea tomorrow morning. If not I'll be as pleased as punch for sure*.

*The contagious for sure virus, the Raikkogen is spreading. Please help the site by finding a cure.

Back
Top Bottom