Grand Prix 2010 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We've now passed the mid point of the season and it certainly appears to be turning into a four horse race between the Red Bulls and the McLarens. Arriving in Hockenheim there are several questions between these two teams that need to be answered and it will be interesting come Friday morning to see how the weekend will play out.

The track suits cars that have excellent grip and balance between downforce and straight line speed. To that end you have to say that the Red Bulls are the best prepared cars to meet this challenge but how will the team be effected by the continued friction in the camp? McLaren's upgrades at Silverstone were almost a complete disaster and seriously effected their weekend. In the interim two week gap have their computers managed to sort out the blown diffuser or will they risk not using it and concede a small advantage to the RBRs?

Ferrari and Mercedes have to come good this weekend. Ferrari had another weekend they would want to forget in Silverstone. Despite the issues that Alonso had with penalties the car did show some signs of pace but once again his temperament was called into question while his team mate slips further into mediocrity. Will Massa slide further into the midfield or will he wake up? Rosberg keeps plugging away for Mercedes but the team still need to find a big improvement if it hopes to compete for wins by the end of the season. They have all the right ingredients but still can't seem to make a decent cake. As an all German team in owner and drivers there will be no hiding at Hockenheim.

The midfield has already been wonderfully summarised in TBY's post but it's fair to say that Williams, BMW Sauber and Force India will be fighting it out for the last points paying positions here. The improvement of both Williams and Sauber has been impressive in the last few races especially after both teams had an appalling start to their season. Obviously with both Hulkenburg and Sutil on home soil they will be looking to impress here. Due to the two different tyres being provided by Bridgestone this weekend Force India have deceided to maximise the time on track for their two regular drivers and therefore regular Friday test driver Paul Di Resta will be sitting this one out.

At the back end of the field I'm sorry to say that the three new teams will be left to scrap it out among themselves again since this track will not suit any of the new cars with their lack of downforce, mechanical grip and straight line speed. Lotus will be running Fauzy again on the Friday and I'm sure he will be praying for fewer mechanical issues than he had at Silverstone. Timo Glock is of course another driver who will be on home soil this weekend and keen to show what he can do. He split the two Loti in the time sheets over most of the Silverstone weekend and will be expected to do the same here. Much has already been written about HRTs new policy of driver swaps but Yamamoto didn't actually do that badly in Silverstone and it will be interesting given that he has now had some track time in the car to see how he compares with Senna's pace.

The two factors that will undoubtedly play the biggest roll in this weekends outcome are the weather and the tyres. All things being equal, I've got to go for a Vettel win but as Murry Walker used to say "Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does".

Re: 2010 German GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I'm off a lot more optimistic impression rather than you two pessimists :p

I think that McLaren will be able to get all the relevant data required even if it is raining. Downforce doesn't just disappear because the heavens open :)
It may be harder to tell the effects, but if they run back to back comparisons, with each of the guys taking their turns on the blown diffuser I think they can be quite sure about the relative performance gains.

Also McLaren looked 'dapper' in the wet in China, and Malaysia.

Come on boys, a little confidence!

Yeah but the race on Sunday is dry, so they could get decent figures on Friday and possibly get pole on Saturday with the diffuser in the wet and come Sunday in the dry, they find the diffuser doesnt really work efficently yet. Thats the problem with changing weather, if it was wet all weekend it would be easier :givemestrength:

However i think any car gap between the two is minimised as i believe Button and Hamilton are better drivers than Webber and Vettel, as we saw Hamilton match Webber for the first half of the British Grand Prix

MajorDanby said:
I'm off a lot more optimistic impression rather than you two pessimists. … Come on boys, a little confidence!
Interesting Danby… I don't remember declaring any allegiances! I want to see an exciting race, and I'm reasonably optimistic about it. But since you've mentioned it, I may as well come out of the closet and declare that I'd prefer to see a British win.
Now see what you've done? You are far too perceptive…

I've always known where your allegiances lie cosi :thumbsup:

Impartially is for presenters and news readers, not that they are that impartial :D

cosicave said:
I may as well come out of the closet and declare that I'd prefer to see a British win

Thanks for coming out to us here on the site... LOL

Remember, on this site, the orange you see is Bruce McLaren's old colours so yeah...

I don't know if this upgrade is the magic pill everyone is expecting. On certain circuits McLaren will be closer to/ahead of Red Bull than others. Silverstone is the circuit that Red Bull would choose given a chance*, there performance there may not be indicative.

*OK, based on the clarity of thinking of the Red Bull team thus far, they may just go for Monza or Montreal.

Look who agrees with us about needing to qualify better:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8843718.stm

This weekend's venue, Hockenheim, was the venue for one of his most memorable drives in 2004 when he qualified in 14th place for BAR but managed to finish second.

He's not got a bad record starting from 14th, has he? He won his World Championship and his maiden victory from there.

Although it says on the Database he started 13th in Germany in 2004. Bad BBC!

Unless Button can regulary qualify in the top 4, i dont think he will win the Championship because on places like Singapore he will find it extremely difficult to overtake and end up bogged down in the lower points and cost himself valuable points

snowy said:
I just don't see it as a Red Bull track

Nor do I snowy. Of course they will have their regular advantage in Qualifying and I would expect another front row lockout, but on race pace I believe McLaren will be right there, with Alonso as well.

Lewis was asked about the strengths of his car after the British Round and he replied "stability under braking". Even though he would lose massive amounts of time entering the new section at Silverstone, he could claw back most of it into and out of Brooklands. With Turn 1 at Hockenheim leading into a fairly heavy braking zone, the McLarens should be able to make up any ground they lose in the Nordkurve. Then they have the long drag down to the Hairpin where they should have a bit of a top speed advantage followed by another chance to make up time under braking.

Silverstone was the perfect circuit for the Red Bull chassis, and Webber didn't exactly run away and hide from Hamilton. I'm not expecting a McLaren victory at Hockenheim, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it happened. And if rain gets thrown into the mix, you have to remember that Red Bull was trounced in China under wet conditions.

One final thing to note, F1.com has a big old sunshine forecast for tomorrow, which I'm sure the McLaren boys would appreciate as they try to get their EBD sorted out. Weather.com has Friday listed as Partly Cloudy with a 20% chance of precipitation, Saturday the same, and Sunday currently has a 0% chance of rain. But who really knows with weather forecasts. I'll just wait and see.

If it rains in the race, i think the McLarens will win as Hamilton and Button are the best wet weather drivers in the business, i wouldnt be suprised if Schumacher was up there as he was the fabled "rain-meister" with Vettel in 4th. The Ferraris are the anomolies here as its hard to say where they end up due to the mind set of their drivers, Alonso seems to be more concerned about the FIA (Valencia, Silverstone) and Massa doesnt seem fully recovered from his accident almost a year ago. This means that i reckon they will fall behind the Mercedes cars and possibly Kubicas Renault.

Hamilton has his work cut out after hitting the wall, Massa predictably span multiple times, Schumacher had a disastarous time, finishing 23rd in the Mercedes. Sutil topped the charts from Massa and Button. Glock posted the same time as Vettel in 12th while Alonso languished in lower midfield. Lewis possibly has a broken gearbox which could really set him back in the race and his mechanics face a race against time to get his car fixed and ready

Typical of Hamilton's luck really.

He only went off once but it was at the worst possible place with no run off or gravel and instead he just skated across the wet grass straight into the wall.

Granted he shouldn't have spun in the first place, but he wasn't the only person to do so, but he was the only person to end up with a wrecked car.

I doubt he will be out for P2 so McLaren will probably revert to the old chassis/backend again this weekend.

Hopefully P2 will be dry so we can get an idea of where everyone is this weekend.

Brogan said:
Typical of Hamilton's luck really.

He only went off once but it was at the worst possible place

Sums up his career really. When he goes off it always seems to be WUM food, whereas others get away with it.

And if he'd just let the car spin, rather than trying (and almost suceeding) to catch it he probably wouldn't have hit the wall...

The big problem with the exhaust blown diffuser is that the downforce it generates is inconsistent. If Lewis uses the throttle and brake as well as the steering wheel to correct the car during a spin, he would have been in completely unknown territory. The way he caught the spin and the car snapped would suggest that he had everything under control then some extra force intervened in the process.

It is very probable that the RBR's ran into this phenomenon in China and put the willies up them... :thinking:

sobriety said:
And if he'd just let the car spin, rather than trying (and almost suceeding) to catch it he probably wouldn't have hit the wall...

True, but it's quite unnatural to do that. For instance later in the session Senna let go of the wheel to try to do a 360 and ended up in the kitty litter, so, not always great practice to be doing that.

I think we are in for a very exciting weekend here, we have all the ingredients.

Excuses, excuses.. ;)

Jense seems to have got a half decent run in at the end.

Vettel and Webber nowhere, which is as much as expected in wet conditions. Also, Alonso nowhere, so all in all, theres not many conclusions to draw from that session..

I just hope they repair his car in time for FP2, which is looking like a dry session. Not too much lost if they manage to get it fixed in time.

The engineers will have about 3 hours really, seeing as no1 tends to run for the first 30mins of the session

MajorDanby said:
I just hope they repair his car in time for FP2, which is looking like a dry session.

Doubt it.

"NobleF1

My weather radar guru says there are only 10 storms on their way to Hockenheim right now. Get those umbrellas ready!"

"antdavidson

Just started raining again here at Hockenheim. Think the hope of any more dry lines today have now vanished. Full wets are well used too.."

It's raining in the GP2 practice right now too.

Back
Top Bottom