Grand Prix 2010 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Well 60 years after it all began we are back at Silverstone for the 2010 British GP. This time last year most of us were contemplating how 80,000 people were going to use a park and ride scheme to reach Donington. This year the modified Silverstone circuit sees the addition of the Arena section which adds another 4 seconds per lap and in the sticky mitts of the BRDC, a 17 year contract to host the race.

Can anyone see past the RBRs and McLaren in a fight to the end for victory in this race. Will the RBRs magic "any weight" ride height suspension see them top the podium or will the sheer grunt of the Merc' engine shine through on this high speed circuit?

Merc' and Ferrari need to bounce back from a disappointing couple of races because the front two are starting to edge away. The race marks the mid-point of the season and at the moment it looks like a two horse race for the remainder of the season unless Ferrari can find something (6 10ths anyone?) and Ross Brawn manages to find that old magic.

Williams and Sauber were the surprise packages in Valencia and can they carry that on through to GB. Barrichello loves Silverstone so don't be surprised to see at least one Williams car in the points.

Lotus were talking of bringing another major upgrade to the car for this race so can they finally close the gap to the midfield pack. Expect further progress from HRT and Virgin now that they seem to have found some reliability and Virgin have a fuel tank capable of making it to the end of the race.

All in all we are in for a fascinating weekend.

Re: 2010 British GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

TK421W said:
Rufus: whilst i totally agree that the spa decision was incredibly harsh, i have to say i dont think Alonso deserved a drive through. Kubica really didnt give him enough room. I think Alonso shouldve given the place back, but once Kubica was out, i think the most that should have happened was a post race penalty where he dropped only one place. A drive through i think was harsh.

Completely agree - I'm certainly not Fernando's biggest fan but that was harsh, particularly in light of some of the lenient (and correct IMHO) decisions we've had this year...

I personally think Vettel is far too aggressive with none of the talent of other aggressive drivers (such as Hamilton, or even his team mate Webber). This simply makes him a liability. I have to agree with Sutils post race comments about his move being illegal (or at least deserving of a penalty), If you watch it again, there is no way he was going to make it past coming into that corner, definitely not from that far back, so instead he tried to make it like bumper cars (or touring cars) and smacks straight into the side of Adrian.

I personally don't like Webber much either, but fair play to him and he got a little bit of respect from me yesterday for sticking it up the team..

Well done Mark.. :D

A very entertaining race weekend, with lots of battles and controversy. Both Ferrari and Red Bull can hang their heads in shame.

Red Bull persist in shooting themselves in the foot and the animosity between Mark and Sebastian is palpable add to that the distrust and contempt that Mark and Christian are displaying:
"Not bad for a number 2 driver" "Perhaps you can smile now Mark"
you have to ask yourself how much data these guys are willing to share now and how are they going to work together efficiently?

Lewis was penalised with a drive through in Magny Cours 2008 and learnt his lesson. In Spa he immediately ceded the place to Kimi and rightly or wrongly was penalised for using his initiative. However he did use his initiative. Neither Fernando or Ferrari used their initiative or learned from the experience of others and payed a very heavy price compounded by the Safety Car. :bored:

P2 and P4 for Mclaren, after a disastrous Friday seems totally incredible! And a podium for Nico and Mercedes seems just as miraculous considering past form. :thumbsup:

Went to Silverstone for the first time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. As a Mclaren fan, it was amazing to see so much support for Lewis and Jenson, and the crowd made it a wonderful occasion. Obviously, I was really pleased with the VMM team result and now believe that the WDC will remain with one of our drivers. The new diffuser will work soon and the Red Bulls will then be the ones having to catch up.
Must admit that Mark Webber is going up in my estimations with every race. He is handling the lack of respect, shown to him by his team, extremely well and deserves a shot at the WDC. Also, to come back from the Valencia crash with such a superb drive was indicative of his strength.
Lewis is maturing nicely and will be very hard to beat from now on. If the VMM developments continue to keep him competitive, his pace and determination will make him unstoppable.
Congratulations to all theat made this week-end so memorable. :D

What a great time to go for your first race.

Although a British driver didn't win, it was a great McLaren team result, not to mention a good race full of incident.

It's a shame VMM's upgrades didn't work out, I hope they can perfect them for next time out and really take the heat to the Red Bulls. Lewis Chasing Webber hard at the end just showed how big the gap is between the two teams. I imagine the maclaren boys are hard at work right now.

There is a massive gap in pace, but also a massive gap in professionalism. Its OK being a party team, but it doesn't cut it at the sharp end!

I wonder...

Sutil who has a Mercedes engine and who is firmly in Camp Hamilton...

I wonder...

I thought Sutil did an excellent job and it was only Vettel barging past which lost him the place.

Of Course Adrian should have just parked his car and waved Vettel past according to Coulthard and Brundle

I was delighted for Mark to stick it to Vettel and Horner yesterday. It was a masterful drive, particularly after all the controversy and that horror crash in Valencia. Vettel and Red Bull seem to continue to shoot themselves in the foot with the former losing more and more respect as season progresses; if things don't go his way he throws a tantrum. Webber has simply been trying to get on with the job.

Hamilton did brilliantly to get second and in the opening stages kept Webber honest. Button again showed brilliant opportunism and strategic skill to get fourth in an underwhelming car. That call to stay out on soft tyres was supreme.

Rosberg was also very impressive and, to me, is showing the potential and maturity of a future champion - or at the least a title contender.

Barrichello and Williams are coming to life mid season, great to see them up there. Hulkenberg also nicked into the top 10.

Kobayashi and Sutil again showing why they are the hottest properties outside of the top teams (apart from Kubica).

What the hell is happening at Ferrari? I thought Alonso's punishment was very harsh but he could have avoided this penalty by giving the place back straight away and re-taking the Renault. They're title challenge is really coming off the rails.

Another great race for the 2010 season to add to its list. The new section looked good and congrats to Hill and the BRDC for putting on a great show!

I know this is not to do with the race as such, but to add to the congratulations to Silverstone I must add a comment about Woodlands campsite.

I've been there a number of times over the last ten years or more, but this year was the first after it having been taken over by Silverstone circuit themsleves.

Wow! They had gravel roadways, a camp shop for basic provisions like bread, milk, newspapers and ice (for cooling the beer) etc., much better toilets and showers, plenty of water taps, better food stands and a huge TV screen, licensed bar and music stage with live bands.

On Saturday night we wandered up towards the stage to the strains of Steppenwolf's 'Born to be Wild', then as that number ended we heard the rather familiar tones of the band's 'special guest'.

It was none other than Eddie Jordan, who proceeded to play the drums on three or four tracks in between playfully goading the campers in his own inimitable style.

Well done Silverstone, well done Woodlands, what a great weekend!

What a superb weekend of racing. Brilliant day at the track on Friday and enjoyed a fantastic race on Sunday.

This really is turning into a gem of a season.

I'd like to share with you the story of my lucky Kovalainen baseball cap as well.

Purchased on Friday morning and worn all day:

Compared to his team mate, Kovi has a virtually trouble free practice and tops the new boys time sheets.

Worn during Saturday qualifying:

Kovi get's new team pole and out qualifies Trulli for the first time in a while.

Forgot to wear for first hour of race:

Kovi makes a poor start and looses out to Trulli and Glock.

Remembers lucky Kovi baseball cap, Puts cap on:

Kovi's pace picks up, he passes Glock and makes it a new team 1-2 for the Loti. :o

It's a miracle.

I'll remind you to wear it next time I'm on a date. LOL

cider_and_toast said:
I'd like to share with you the story of my lucky Kovalainen baseball cap as well.

And wearing it meant you got to watch all of quali instead of bein dragged out ;)

Hey guys, not been on here much this weekend, but managed to watch what turned out to be an absolutely cracking race.

My feelings about Alonso's penalty are exactly the same as my feelings about Hamilton's in Spa 08, in that they may have both been a little bit strong, but the consistency of the stewards in this case have to be applauded. If Alonso had managed to get away without receiving a penalty it would have been an absolute travesty, especially as the conditions were almost identical. I seem to remember Alonso saying re: Spa 08 - If there had been a brick wall there he wouldn't have cut the chicane. I think that works both ways.

Onto other topics, an absolutely superlative commanding drive from MW, congratulations to him. It takes a calm head to put in that performance with all the controversy. Lovely to see him giving the metaphorical fingers to Marko and co. What a performance, and what a post race retort!

Coming to the lads at McLaren, what an absolutely stunning weekend Lewis had, punching well above his weight in that McLaren, and to have extended his lead at the top of the WDC, at a weekended when he should have been loosing some good points surely bodes well for the rest of the season. Irrespective of the fallout at RBR, if he continues in this sort of form, I think they will struggle to beat him.

A mention for Jenson, who after overheating his rears in qualifying, put in an excellent recovery drive, tinged with luck with cars mysteriously disappearing in front of him, but that stint on the options were excellent.

Also applause for Williams and Rubens who are definitely showing they are getting back to form, and of course Rosberg, the 3rd time he's had that Mercedes on the podium, it shouldn't have been there once. Well in!

MajorDanby said: My feelings about Alonso's penalty are exactly the same as my feelings about Hamilton's in Spa 08, in that they may have both been a little bit strong, but the consistency of the stewards in this case have to be applauded.

Major, I have heard something similar said already since Sunday, and I can't really fathom it.

At Spa 2008, Hamilton got pushed wide trying to overtake Raikkonen at the bus-stop chicane and cut the corner, as we all know. He realised straight away that he had gained a place by taking the short cut, and immediately gave the place back. But Kimi was caught napping and at la Source Lewis re-passed him. But he was penalised anyway as having 'maintained an advantage', and the new rule of having to wait until the next but one corner before mounting another challenge was retrospectively introduced.

At Silverstone 2010, Alonso tried to go round the outside of Kubica at Vale where there was not really much room, and in so doing he completely left the track on the inside of the first part of club, effectively taking a short cut and exiting in front of kubica. He didn't give the place back as he ought to have, so was penalised.

In what way are these two incidents similar, and in what way have the stewards been consistent?

I just don't get it. :s

They were consistent in deeming that both drivers gained an advantage by cutting across the chicane. The incidents were further similar as both 'disadvantaged' drivers retired from the gp. Obviously they vary slightly in that Hamilton gave back his position for a short time time (if he should have received that penalty is a discussion for another day)

However, both were deemed to have committed the same offense, gaining an unfair advantage, and were punished. Hamilton only received a time penalty as the offense was investigated during the final laps of the gp

Back
Top Bottom