Grand Prix 2010 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after what has seemed like an age, F1 resumes and it is to arguably one of the most liked circuits on the calendar, by both drivers and fans.

With Spa being a relatively high speed circuit, low downforce is the order of the day. Renault will be introducing yet more upgrades, including their version of the F-Duct. It will be interesting to see how the relative performance of the car compares to the McLaren.

The FIA announced earlier that they would be changing the bodywork flexi tests after all the controversy surrounding the Red Bull front wings. So it remains to be seen whether Red Bull will have a legal car and if so, whether they will retain the significant advantage they have enjoyed of late.

There have also been some circuit changes with extra run off areas and more artificial grass. In addition, a control loop has been installed at Radillion (the left hand turn after Eau Rouge) which will inform race control if all 4 wheels of a car are off the circuit. It's a good job Kimi's not racing this weekend...

Things are still very tight in the WDC with just 20 points separating the top 5, which is about 8 points in "old money", so any one of 5 drivers could be leading come Sunday.
A lot will hinge on the FIA tests though as to who will have an advantage, if anyone.

Will Force India be able to repeat their nearly-success from last year?
Michael Schumacher will be hoping that his experience and knowledge of the circuit will give him an advantage.

Throw in some inclement weather and a safety car and it could be anyone's race.

All the circuit related data including a simulation video and weather foreacast is here: Belgium - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

Re: 2010 Belgian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I am really looking forward to this one as well.My second favourite race after Monaco.
Another circuit change that could catch the drivers out is the exit from turn 6 has been altered to a 50mm negative camber.Bumps have also been put down at the chicane to slow the cars down if they do go off track.
A drop of rain (always a possibilty) at Spa and we could have a real cracker.

Bit confused about McLaren and F duct.According to this they are using it and then deciding whether to run at Monza.

"McLaren could yet decide to keep the F-duct on its car for the Italian Grand Prix, despite the team saying earlier this week that it would be removed for the Monza event.

McLaren's managing director Jonathan Neale said on Wednesday that the team will wait until it has analysed the performance of the F-duct at Spa this weekend before making a final decision"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86106

It is 17 years now since Johnny Herbert scored Lotus' last points at the Belgian GP, finishing 5th. If there's rain, there may even be a chance for Truvalainen to score some more.

Of course, if its raining then someday the promise that Adrian Sutil has shown in practice sessions in the wet will be translated into a victory.

sportsman said:
Bit confused about McLaren and F duct.According to this they are using it and then deciding whether to run at Monza.
Hmm, I must have misunderstood but I'm sure I read earlier in the week somewhere that they would be running without the F-Duct this weekend.
I'll update the first post anyway.

A driver's eye view of one of the most famous turns in motorsport.

47682_470769093464_292309963464_6516767_1597070_n.jpg

Its a beauty, it really is.

An interesting point on the McLaren side of things is that they are bring 3 updated wings with them, and will decide which one to use after Friday practise.

The question I would ask is, are any of these wings flexible along the line of the RedBulls and the Ferraris?

McLaren are still claiming they are unsure how the flexing wing actually works, is this the truth? I guess we will find out in Friday practise. Other than the wings, they have no other major upgrades.

I've not heard murmurings of any new parts coming with RedBull, but supposedly Ferrari are bring an updated floor with them.

I'll see you all for 2nd practise tomorrow, but am going to miss first practise unfortunately.

Brogan said:
sportsman said:
Hmm, I must have misunderstood but I'm sure I read earlier in the week somewhere that they would be running without the F-Duct this weekend.

As far as I am aware the F-duct will be on the car for this weekend, and it is Monza that they are unsure about, but then Monza is one of those tracks that often requires an independent car set up.

Brogan said:
sportsman said:

They always said Monza.Its just Autosports daft timing in reporting that this week.Many posters made the same mistake.

Once again it looks like McLaren wont get best results from diffuser tests with a showery weekend predicted. But if anyone can do damage limitation, they can, and its whats keeping them in the championship

Did the FIA clarify when and if they are going to carry out the new deflection tests?
I would have expected them to be done at the start of the weekend.

Brogan said:
Did the FIA clarify when and if they are going to carry out the new deflection tests?

The FIA applied the first set of addittional wing loads this weekend.So they would have already been done during scrutineering.I can only assume that both RBR and Ferrari proved legal.
Further more intense checks will be done for Monza.

sportsman said:
Brogan said:

The FIA applied the first set of addittional wing loads this weekend.So they would have already been done during scrutineering.I can only assume that both RBR and Ferrari proved legal.
The fact the FIA announced weeks ago the checks they would be doing in no way enabled Red Bull and Ferrari to ensure they would pass them

So he's basically slower by a second every kilometer! He should hence be 5 minutes behind on Sunday!

Wouldn't he be faster if he just rode a bicycle round instead?

In a purely technical sense, no.

Looking at FP2, the grid from that would be:
ALO
SUT
HAM
KUB
MAS
VET
BUT
dlR
BAR
KOB
PET
ROS
ALG
HUL
LIU
BUE
WEB
KOV
TRU
diG
SEN
[color=#FF0000]MSC[/color]
YAM
GLO

TBY, I don't think that last lap should count much considering how close together everyone was, I think that basically affected a few of the drivers in the middle of the bun-fight, but there was no other chance as there was so little time left. They really should have extended the session..

Ferrari were the only ones with a clear run..

Yeah, but what if the kids climb over the fence tomorrow. Mark Webber would be out in Q1. LOL

Thinking about it that would be a Red Bullish thing to do...

Their football team (the Salzburg one) was drawn into Group A of the Europa League along with Manchester City, Juventus and Lech Poznan. They might beat Lech Poznan, but the chances of them knocking out City and Juve are, imo, low.

Brogan said:
sportsman said:
Brogan said:

The fact the FIA announced weeks ago the checks they would be doing in no way enabled Red Bull and Ferrari to ensure they would pass them

If one were a cynic, you could say "are they the same wings" as used before. :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom