Poll Who is better: Fernando, Lewis, or Sebastian?

Who is better?

• Total voters
I'm just saying it is easier when you have a helping hand and you don't have to worry about money to even finance the next race in your early career all you have to do is your job or the job you are being backed to do. Tell me I'm wrong, tell me it is easier for a driver with only talent to back him up and no sponsor or money, tell me that's how things work, tell me their isn't a talent that has been overlooked because he just didn't get the breaks that Lewis and Vettel did, tell me that and I'll tell you that you are talking nonsense....

Last edited:
There's a reason they got the breaks that they did and you know it. It's ridiculous to suggest that Alonso is better because he had to take the harder route.

Why is it...? Surely it all depends on what you base your criteria on, I believe he is a better driver because he had to work harder for it...

Others base their opinions on something else, it doesn't mean I'm right and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong, it is just the way I see it...

And to say my opinion is ridiculous is quite frankly insulting, not that I care if you think I'm wrong, in my mind I'm correct...

Last edited:
He didn't have to work harder, Alonso didn't compete in junior series as long, his first few years in F1 almost replaced what others do in feeder series to prove themselves so it could be said he had an advantage as his developing years were spent in cars way more advanced than GP2, competing with and learning from the racing elite.

First of all I didn't mean to insult you, I like you, so sorry about that :friends:

In my opinion what matters most is what you achieved at the end of your career. I mean, Alonso is great and all and I have a lot of respect for how he got where he is today, but I don't think you can really hold the fact that Hamilton and Vettel showed a lot of skill early in their careers which got them support against them. They still had to work hard to get here and to keep that support.

I'm just saying that it makes life easier for a driver that's all, and I don't wish to be unkind but what exactly is it that puts Hamilton or the others above the rest?

Lets face it Lewis has won one WDC, commendable in itself but that championship was won by a hairs breadth and an act of god he also came joint second in the previous year at his first attempt which is also commendable, but since then his best finish has been fourth in the championship, even Button has done better than that since his WDC, so my question is why exactly does Lewis even belong in this poll? Apart from emotional attachment..

Oh and that is a serious question by the way, and Josh I like you too I wasn't having a go, nor nuffink... :cheers:

Last edited:
Based on success Vettel would be the only driver in this poll. Alonso and Hamilton are in this poll because they have shown their brilliance in ways that haven't translated in to them being the most successful. Over the last few years Alonso has consistently got his Ferrari to places where it doesn't belong. Hamilton beat Alonso in the same car in his rookie year.

I'd say what makes one particular driver better than another is their overall skill level. Not how hard they have had to work to get their seat.

If driver A got into a team really easily through having a famous racing surname and millions of pounds and driver B was unknown and poor and had to work really hard to get that seat, but Driver A still beat him in the same car (with equal status and luck) then driver A would be the better driver even if he didn't have to work as hard to get there.

If all the grid was in identical machinery like A1GP or something It is my personal opinion that Hamilton would win, though of course Alonso, Vettel and Raikkonen among others such as Hulkenburg would push him all the way.

The thing is though downforce it is merely a point of view held by any one person dependent on their personal preferences like I said before, the question is completely impossible to answer and a person asking the the question will always include their own favourite, the only true basis for comparison is results and the results show that at present Vettel is the best and Lewis is the worst out of the three..

Lets face it Lewis is probably going to down in the history books as a driver that won a world championship just like Button is, but it has already been written that Vettel has won four on the trot something that has never been done in F1 before and who's to say he won't make it five and if that doesn't make someone the best to date then I'm ****ed if I know what does.....

Last edited:
If results are the only 'true basis' to ascertain how good a driver is, then does that mean Mark Webber is a better driver than say Gilles Villeneuve on the basis that he's collected more winner's trophies? I don't think so.

To me judging drivers is just that, a judgement made by myself. The F1 Wikipedia page of the future will show Vettel's titles, but I'll know. Both Hamilton and Alonso would have also claimed four consecutive driver's titles in the Red Bull (five actually, but that is beside my point) in my opinion. Does that diminish Vettel's achievements? Not in the slightest.

However if you think a driver's legacy is based solely upon their success then why is it people still say Gilles Villeneuve's and Stirling Moss' names with reverence? Because they were there and they know.

Last edited:
the only true basis for comparison is results and the results show that at present Vettel is the best and Lewis is the worst out of the three..

Lets face it Lewis is probably going to down in the history books as a driver that won a world championship just like Button is,

Some may have Vettel on the top of the list for the best 3, and Lewis on the bottom, but Hamilton by most observers still remains in the top 3.

Button's age maybe closing the door for him to have the opportuntiy, to achieve another WDC, but the same can't be said for Hamilton.

Back
Top Bottom