Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

Something i stumbled across earlier. That hadnt realised when the Vandoorne news was released. He was dumped 2 years to the day he was signed

Screenshot_20180903-232324.jpg

The biggest cheering at Monza was when Raikkonen took pole in qualifying, the crowd went wild.

For the race I was surrounded by Ferrari fans; they were not pleased with Hamilton until the reply came on when they grudgingly agreed that it was Vettel's fault. They were decidedly pissed off by Vettel, I got the impression that Vettel was not even in the first two drivers that they want as he is not delivering. There were an awful lot of people leaving, starting around 5 laps before the end, something that has not happened for a few years.

Here is a Thing then, I was thinking its not who do you think, but more if your were in charge of these teams who would you want in these teams to fill the Vacancies

Mercedes
Hamilton - Bottas

Ferrari
Vettel - ?????

Red Bull
Verstappen - Gasly

Force India
????? - ?????

Renault

Hulkenburg - Riccardio

Haas

????? - ?????

McLaren
Sainz - Norris

Toro Rosso

????? - ?????

Sauber

????? - ?????

Williams

????? - ?????

Mercedes
Hamilton - Bottas

Ferrari
Vettel - Leclerc

Red Bull
Verstappen - Gasly

Force India
Ocon
- Stroll (only because he all but confirmed with his dad)

Renault

Hulkenburg - Riccardio

Haas

Magnussen - Perez

McLaren
Sainz - Norris

Toro Rosso
Russell
- Albon

Sauber
Vandoorne - Giovinazzi

Williams
Kubica
- Sirotkin

I think that Ferrari should replace Raikkonen with Kvyat for the last few races, it looks as if tension is brewing in Maranello: the tifosi are not happy with Vettel, no one is happy with the pit wall, Vettel has some reasons to be unhappy with Raikkonen, I wonder how long it will be before it will emerge that Kimi is only there because Vettel wanted him no matter what. We know that is the case, IMHO Kimi should have been a bit more faithful and helpful toward the guy that for several years has saved his job (and in fairness Ferrari should have been more respectful of Kimi regarding next year).

The fireworks are about to begin, if Vettel can win the next few races then he will be able to redeem himself in the eyes of the tifosi, otherwise Ferrari will have to do something because even the most loyal papers are openly talking of a driver in crisis. and they also say that the other driver is even worse because he can't win. I think that Leclerc is a great guy but IMHO next year is too soon to join Ferrari, they need someone who one the one hand can help Vettel and on the other can take away points from the Mercs and IMHO Kvyat fit the brief perfectly (other drivers who should be considered include Perez, Hulkenberg, Sainz, good drivers but also people who need a break and could accept to be in Vettel's shade just for a chance at a top team)

I don't see how Ferrari can continue to go racing with Vettel and Raikkonen, Kimi sadly can only manage (possibly not 100% intentionally) to harm his team mate, only an incompetent management can think that this will work

Last edited:
Ferrari will have to do something because even the most loyal papers are openly talking of a driver in crisis.

Very interesting. That's the impression I get when watching Seb. He seems desperate at times. Hamilton in comparison seems cold and calculating. They are a bit like the modern day Senna(SV) and Prost (LH). Though I don't think anyone ever questioned if Senna was in crisis.

Desperate maybe but vettel is a brilliant driver when he comfortable controlling the race like 2009 2010 2011 & 2013. Beligium in 2018. But when he fights for victory under pressure he falls apart. Too many times to list over his whole career at toro rosso red bull & ferrari. Its his weakness

Every driver has their weakness though.

Hamilton's head always goes down when he's being beat.

Max continually gets himself into accidents.

Kimi only shows up 10% of the time.

Danny Ric is crap in qualifying.

Alonso destroys every team he is in.

Perez is shit.

- every hero has his kryptonite.

On another topic. I came up with an idea on how to encourage teams to go for talent over budget the other day. What if teams who were running in their race seat one of the top 5 from F2 the previous season got 25% off their entry fee?

You could offer the same for F2 teams running any of the top 5 from F3 and the same to F3 teams running any of the champs or runner ups from regional F4s. It would mean if you got in a car and won things you'd have a chance to get up the ladder without needing a huge sponsor behind you.

Any thoughts?

Very interesting. That's the impression I get when watching Seb. He seems desperate at times. Hamilton in comparison seems cold and calculating. They are a bit like the modern day Senna(SV) and Prost (LH). Though I don't think anyone ever questioned if Senna was in crisis.
I am not sure that Vettel vs Hamilton is like comparing Senna vs Prost. Lewis Hamilton seems to always be in up-and-down moods and seems to always be having crisis' in confidence. It often does not show up in his driving, but he does get anxious over the radio. It is my impression that both Senna and Prost were both calmer and more measured than that, but that may only be because we did not monitor their in-race radio back then. While Hamilton always seems wound up a little tight, Vettel always seems pretty cool and relaxed until something goes wrong, then he gets completely unglued ("hissy fit" is the phrase that has been used about some of his reactions). This does not reflect either Senna and Prost. Vettel then compounds his problems with his driving. Granted, Senna would get angry, simmer and occasionally try to slug another driver, but when Vettel looses it, its seems to be a more complete collapse, and affects his driving (remember his mysterious 2014 season). Neither Senna or Prost ever had a season like that. Hamilton's negative moods appear to be less extreme.

In the end, I am still struggling to as to whether the Vettel vs Hamilton duel is of the same caliber as the Senna vs Prost. Right now, I think both Senna and Prost are probably all-around better drivers than Vettel and Hamilton. Both Vettel and Hamilton seem a moodier and not as disciplined as either Senna or Prost.

Sebastina Buemi is now having a seat fitting for Toro Rosso. Someone has their old contacts book out don't they? They must be desperate for drivers for 2019, that's all I can say.

Last edited:
Buemi is a very high quality driver, I Iwould suggest he is better than Gasly, but I believe he has a contract with Nissan for Formula E. He does do regular simulator testing for Red Bull still though so that could be the answer.

Granted, Senna would get angry, simmer and occasionally try to slug another driver, but when Vettel looses it, its seems to be a more complete collapse, and affects his driving (remember his mysterious 2014 season).
There was nothing mysterious to Vettel's 2014 season, a number of minor and major technical failures and a resulting lack of trust in the car hampered his season. Ricciardo took full advantage of Vettel's situation.

Danny Ric is crap in qualifying.
Based on what his relative performance to Verstappen? Then you'd also have to say he's crap in the race because he normally doesn't have Verstappen's pace.

Buemi is a very high quality driver, I Iwould suggest he is better than Gasly, but I believe he has a contract with Nissan for Formula E. He does do regular simulator testing for Red Bull still though so that could be the answer.

I didn't know that, I don't follow Formula E, I did try to but the noise the cars make irritated me more than I can tell you, certain noises do that, they actually make me feel physically ill but I digress.

I did read that Toro Rosso currently have a list of around 10 drivers who they are looking at for 2019, so they really don't seem to know who to sign up at this point.

Back
Top Bottom