US GP Site Announcement

Work on the site has stopped due to a contract dispute.
The state funding is also being questioned again.

So it looks like the US GP may not be back next year after all.

I was wondering what was going on. Having visited the two websites regularly throughout the year it was noticeable that neither were being updated with any kind of regularity and indeed there have been no new photo's of the actual site for months.

I was wondering what was going on. Having visited the two websites regularly throughout the year it was noticeable that neither were being updated with any kind of regularity and indeed there have been no new photo's of the actual site for months.
Sounds like the way the USF1 site behaved while they were conking out!

The difference is that Korea and India carried on building. We've not seen any evidence of any progress in construction since May (I think). That's pretty poor.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes in Austin, Texas at the moment with threats from all sides that the 2012 Grand Prix might not take place.

And this afternoon Susan Combs, who controls the finances for the State of Texas, has confirmed that the recent announcement of a rival race in New Jersey for 2013 is a “concern” and said that the first $25 million the state had earmarked for the project will no longer be available before the first event has taken place.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/...firms-new-jersey-race-threatens-austin-event/

I thought this paragraph of the report was interesting as well:

"Local observers on the website of the Austin Statesman newspaper raise doubts about whether it was ever the sport’s intention to race in Austin and that it was a tactic to get the prize they really wanted, which was the New Jersey race with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop."

Hmm, "the sport's intention" ? Now which "sport" would that be? Bernie?:thinking:

I thought this paragraph of the report was interesting as well:

"Local observers on the website of the Austin Statesman newspaper raise doubts about whether it was ever the sport’s intention to race in Austin and that it was a tactic to get the prize they really wanted, which was the New Jersey race with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop."

Hmm, "the sport's intention" ? Now which "sport" would that be? Bernie?:thinking:

Sounds like a Bernie trick doesn't it. He's wanted an F1 race in New York for years. It was on the propoesed 1981 FOCA breakaway championship calander and has been an on / off thing ever since.

Must be about money. After they have spent so much building the circuit, the track owners are starting to ask who they have a contract with and what for. Seems a bit odd that they would have invested in company A when company B is the one with the contract for the race?

Construction on Circuit of the Americas, a $300 million Formula One race track in southeastern Travis County, has been shut down indefinitely until a contract dispute between the race promoter and circuit officials is resolved, officials said today.

Promoter Full Throttle Productions, headed by Tavo Hellmund, has a contract with Formula One to hold races for 10 years starting in November 2012, but those rights have not been transferred to the Circuit of the Americas, officials said in a statement.

“While construction at Circuit of The Americas has progressed as scheduled with over 300 workers at the construction site daily, all work will suspend immediately,” the statement said. “The delivery of the Formula One Grand Prix race contract will allow construction operations to resume.”

A timetable to transfer the rights has not been met, officials said today. They did not elaborate on other details, including how long the dispute has been going on, how long it might last or whether circuit officials are willing to walk away from the project.

"It is in the best interest of all parties to reach a timely resolution. Local businesses, fans and the State of Texas are counting on us" Red McCombs, a founding partner of the circuit, said in the statement.

Oh dear... What was it Bernie said about them needing to get married? Sounds more like a divorce. :rolleyes:

How much is Tavo holding out for? This thing about Jersey, sounds like a face saving excuse to me when the alternative is admit that they invested without reading the contracts.

Well shut my mouth, for once a GP track might not actually make it to the calendar. Shame as the new Austin layout looked ace and the pit straight looked awesome from the dirty track DC was going up. Really hope they've not wasted to much on this developement as if they don't make it on time i don't reckon they'll get another slot in the 2013 calendar with the New Jersey race already planned.

It is just gobsmacking. If I were the Austin people, I would draft in as many lawyers as I could find to check that contract because I know that Bernie Ecclestone is as slippery as an oiled-up snake on an ice rink.

Does that whole thing mean that Tavo Hellmund has a right to hire a circuit and force F1 to race on it, interestingly? Could we be seeing Indianapolis or Road America or somewhere?

Pretty rare to have someone refuse to plunk down the pile of cash necessary to hold a GP.

Apparently the circuit owners hadn't a clue who they were dealing with here. Now that Bernie's got his race on the East Coast I don't think he really cares about Austin. And quite frankly, neither do I.

Epstein and Co. obviously didn't know the rules of the game when they got into this and now they're going to be left holding the bag. Rather embarrassing and short sighted.

And if anybody knows anything about Texas politics, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

And if anybody knows anything about Texas politics, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

All I know about Texas politics is this:

f-one.jpg

Does that whole thing mean that Tavo Hellmund has a right to hire a circuit and force F1 to race on it, interestingly? Could we be seeing Indianapolis or Road America or somewhere?

That's the impression I got. It would seem that the contract to hold the race for 10 years is with this Hellmund chap and not with any single race track. A strange way of doing buisness given the importance that Ecclestone places on his crony paddock club and sponsor facilities. What's to stop the race going to Long Beach (highly unlikely I agree) or the Glen? The whole deal seems most unlike something Ecclestone would agree to unless as has been speculated above it's more about getting his New York race off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom