US GP Site Announcement

Really detailed...

6a0120a5145462970b0133f4e4ce32970b-pi

Hi guys, I haven't been around much lately, not really doing much on the internet due to some special projects I have been working on above my regular duties at the college.

But, we are on semester break for about a month and I have been trying to catch up. The result is a summary of the USGP efforts up to this point. I am writing the summary in several parts, but the bottom line is that I'm feeling pretty good about where things are right now, about 18 months out from the first race.

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/12/austin-project-management-part-1-by-flood1.html

Interesting comments on the transport infrastructure Flood, any of us who have been to Silverstone will know how important this is. I've been to Silverstone for a GP twice; once in 1981 where it took 5 hours to escape the car parks and then again in 2003 when it took 40 minutes. The Police controlled one-way system they now employ is very good although you do sometimes end up in bits of the country side you don't expect to be in!

Give the number of major sporting events which take place on a weekly basis in the US I would presume there is lots of experience to draw on.

FB. 2008 was a nightmare, dont think I got out of Silverstone until 7-ish. Back on topic I dont think it would be a massive problem considering they do it without problem every week at NASCAR and other events round the country

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, but I have visited the site and the roads are hard surfaced paths, less than 18 feet wide, that surround the circuit property, have no hard shoulders and are inadequate. But there are plans in place and the authorities have some demands.

I am very optimistic. The mess at Donington (I had great hopes) and then the absurdity of USF1 have left me a bit careful. The evidence I have seen shows great promise. I will be in Austin to talk with some peeps directly involved at the very top of the organization. I will keep you guys informed.

Here is part 2. Thanks Guys!

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/12/austin-project-management-part-2-by-flood1.html

Back
Top Bottom