Television Top Gear

It just didn't feel right. And if they're keeping the old format, why two presenters and not three?

The show wasn't broken, so they aren't fixing it, only they have, so now it's broken. It just shows how scripted Top Gear really is, even Clarkson's foot in mouth bits weren't for real.

I've just watched Extra Gear on t'iplayer. The dynamic of Chris Harris and Rory Reid is so much better in the studio than Evans and le Blanc; their "news" section wouldn't have felt out of place in old Top Gear; I can see format changes either for later in the series, or for the next series with Reid and Harris presenting similar "news" along with (possibly) Chris Evans.

I'm not sure what Evans brings to the party at the moment- he is trying to be Jeremy Clarkson, but with the "gags" like his "ton of downforce" which wouldn't have felt out of place on TFI Friday. (Personally, I thought that that gag felt like a complete misfire).

PS. I had a certain trepidation watching Extra Gear, as my preconception was that it would either be "the making of..." or alternatively "Old Old Top Gear". Both were very wide of the mark...

Top gear wasn't as good Clarkson Hammond & May which I thought But not as bad I had expected Of course its was going to be different. But in a fifth gear way. Films were alright I thought probably the best part of the show (well apart from that 3 challenges on the Blackpool beach that was abit forced/crap)

Matt le blanc, I would arguably say the star of the show. he was a success so far. Great choice quite liked his humour. Similar to how Clarkson/Hammond were. The offroad airel atom piece was very clever

The interview bit with Chris Evans was a massive surprise to me because despite really enjoying him on TFI Friday & odd interview I hear on his R2 breakfast show. The star in reasonably priced car interview I thought easiest thing you cant go wrong but was the biggest letdown of whole show . It was boring, learnt absolutely nothing. If your going to get a pair you do it like Margot Robbie/Will Smith, James Corden/Rob Brydon or the 2 dragons den blokes. Not 2 people that look like they'd met each other for the 1st time 5mins ago absolutely no chemistry

I'll be watching it next week because I want to give it a chance . But I cant see myself watching repeats on dave like I have last few yrs with old top gear

I remembered it was on about 15 minutes in, watched 3 minutes and then turned it off. It appeared to be full of "Chris' mates", most of whom are well past their sell by date.

Episode 2 was much better than episode 1; Chris Evans still seems out of place in the show- Matt le Blanc works well as a main presenter, but I feel it is such a waste having Chris Harris and Rory Reid not part of the main presenting team.

Oh yes, and Eddie Jordan should be sacked!

Episode 2 much better that Episode 1
Better guests, better challenge. Mclaren was awesome.
I didn't even find Eddie hugely annoying which is amazing for me.
I liked it.

Chris Evans seems to be having a meltdown on Twitter. Matt Le Blanc should be the main presenter.

It actually occurred to me today why Chris Evans got the job. It's got naff all to do with his hosting skills and everything to do with the fact that when Clarkson, Hammond and May left, so did the programs production company. Evans was a ready made replacement to step in and fill both voids saving the bbc an absolute fortune.

It's pretty much gone under the radar that while the BBC paid out hand over fist to pointlessly move to Manchaster, pay for Gary Linekar's taxi, keep Wimbledon and employ a gazillion managers, their in house production has all but disappeared. Virtually every single program broadcast on the beeb is now farmed out to free lance production companies some of which are owned by the presenters themselves.

Get rid of Evans and they would also need to find a new producer. In real terms the producer is the person responsible for finance, getting it and spending it.

And in this case the best thing Evans could do is step aside and produce with a new set of faces.

He is a good producer; but not the right presenter.

Mind you, he took a year or so to settle into the R2 breakfast show.

I'm starting to think of top gear as 'just another car show' rather than being 'Top Gear'
It's ok but I wouldn't give a rats arse if I missed it now.

I could do without Evans shrieking all the time, and the "Star in a Rallycross Car" is just dreadful (thank heavens for Sky+ FFWD), but I rather enjoy all the rest of it - Matt leBlanc is actually pretty good, but he needs a better foil than the ginger hurler.

Well I've given it 4 weeks and that's me done. Top gear is ruined. No chemistry, no comedy. Dull and fake. I'll be watching something else on Sunday evenings from now on. :(

Back
Top Bottom