Television Top Gear

Just looked at YouTube bit (don't have BBC player on phone), and it's got 3k likes but 10k unlikes, can see it being an uphill battle for Chris & the team.

Just looked at YouTube bit (don't have BBC player on phone), and it's got 3k likes but 10k unlikes, can see it being an uphill battle for Chris & the team.

It strikes me that much of the hate is about the fact that this is "not clarkson" - the show looks good from the trailer; of course, it probably won't feel as comfortable as series 21 of Hammond May and Clarkson, but look back to series 2 of new top gear, and it was massively uncomfortable!

Recent series of Top Gear were overly scripted and predictable; it was time for a change!

I just watched that. Looks like they have tried to shoehorn new people in to the old show which simply won't work. Doesn't look like there are many new ideas either. The best thing the BBC could have done was to consign Top Gear to TV history and try and come up with a new show.

I was thinking along the same lines FB but the problem with that for the Beeb is that Top Gear is a global brand that makes (or made) the corperation a bucket load of cash.

Mankind is running out of new ideas. All the films being made are remakes of shit from the 80's or sequels to shit films made in the noughties. TV shows just run and run to maximise profits. Did you know HBO and Showtime won't commission a series unless it will run for 5 "seasons" of 12 episodes? No wonder people get bored with the crap on TV nowadays.

Then you only have to look at cars and aircraft. No one tries to push the boundaries anymore, they just make airborne buses and cars which, if you took the badges off of, no one could tell apart. Where's the innovation? Where's the ambition? Where's the desire simply to try something "because you can"?

:cheer:

Outstanding post and I couldn't agree more. Talking about British engineering alone, we gave up years ago. The problem is, it doesn't matter how great your design is or how superb your product, there will always be someone there to rain on your parade. For example, the genius of Concorde was rendered useless when America banned it from flying over the country or the British Advanced Passenger Train which tilted and could reach speeds of over 150 miles an hour on normal rail tracks back in the 80's. It had a few teething problems so the press demolished it. The rights to the tilting technology were sold to FIAT and are now back on UK tracks on every Pendalino train.

You are right about TV and indeed we can extend it to music as well. It's all designed to squeeze every last pound out of the product.

It felt like Top Gear did back in 2002- when it was Clarkson, Hammond and the other one... The dynamics don't feel right yet; that may well change! - my suggestion would be to dilute Chris Evans and Matt le Blanc a little- give them a straight man to improve the formula!

Haven't seen it but some woman on the radio this morning said it was popular on CBBC so it would appear Chris Evans has found his level.

Hmmm. Chris Evans trying to be Jeremy Clarkson was very cringey. The little on that bombshell joke at the end was pathetic given he was copying him in every other respect.
The rare occasions he didn't do it he seemed to think it was TFI Friday.

I lost count of how many times they ran the Sabine about to say shit joke before swiftly cutting off after the shhh.

The features weren't good.

Back
Top Bottom