The Olympics 2012

Fireworks woke me up 5 mins after I dozed off! Didn't watch but glad to hear it went safely and all. There's an olympic blimp floating out above my window.. Hope you guys enjoyed it!

I thought that was an absolute triumph to be honest, it was so much better than I was expecting. There were aspects of it that were stunning, the Olympic cauldron made out of one "petal" for each nation being my favourite. There were awkward moments and moments that the rest of the world probably won't understand, but it definitely gave the message of welcome to Britain, this is who we were, who we are now and what we will be in the future.

I thought that was an absolute triumph to be honest, it was so much better than I was expecting. There were aspects of it that were stunning, the Olympic cauldron made out of one "petal" for each nation being my favourite. There were awkward moments and moments that the rest of the world probably won't understand, but it definitely gave the message of welcome to Britain, this is who we were, who we are now and what we will be in the future.

Amazingly we didn't **** it up ;)

Stayed up to watch it all - and most of it confused the hell out of me, despite the Eurosport commentary in English with what appeared to be a detailed script of the supplied explanations!

The beginning was just pure Lark Rise To Candleford swiftly followed, after the country yokels had cleared all their own stuff away, :snigger: by a bit of Clockwork Orange.

Don't remember precisely how it all morphed after that but think there was some concoction of 2.4 Children, My Family and West Side Story in there somewhere :s while James Bond and the Queen, Beckham piloting a CGI powerboat as Bond II and Mr Bean/Johnny English just proved that Danny Boyle put it all together with tongue placed firmly in cheek.

All in all, though, it was thoroughly enjoyable and was British comedy/drama to a tee - shades of Morecambe & Wise and the Two Ronnies everywhere ....... Mark Easton's quote this morning on the BBC News page sums it up nicely:
"If our guests are left thinking GB is contemplative & daft, self-deprecating & clever, respectful & subversive; the ceremony did its job"

The never-ending parade of teams really does need to be re-thought (just too long-winded) but the arrival of Poland's and Russia's flag carriers were both worth the wait :whistle: and the building of the 'cauldron' out of hundreds of chamber pots was superb.

If I had one quibble it would be to ask was it really necessary to parade a very frail looking old man at the end who would have been better off at home wrapped up in his armchair with a cup of cocoa - and the same goes for Muhammad Ali.

Anyway, now down to the serious bit - Cycling and Tennis for me today and maybe a bit of Beach Volley.
.... but only fitted in around the F1 quali :thumbsup:

Road race all seems to be in Britains hands if the commentators are to be believed. Got a quick question though is this an individual gold medal or is at team gold medal?

It's quite tense, the leading pack are flying ahead now but the steady pace of GB should mean they are in the right place towards the end. I'm hoping so anyway.

I think its amazing how the guy hurt in the crash is been treated by a doctor while still riding. Talk about a never give up attitude.

Back
Top Bottom