The 2011 Season

Strange that, I know Force India's KERS definately is a hold down option and apparently they are considering a flappy paddle style option behind the steering wheel

I think it's quite honestly stupid that a man had to die for them to decide it needed to be made safer they should of worked it out and done it before.

DRS shuts off when the brake is hit as a fail safe but they really should be lifting just before braking. I guess it takes a fraction less effort to lift a finger than press then lift.

Formula 1's new look for 2011 - with the introduction of moveable rear wings, the return to KERS and the switch to Pirelli – has helped make the spectacle much better, claim leading figures from within the sport.

With overtaking now easier for drivers, and Pirelli's aggressive rubber producing multi-stop races, the evidence from the first two events of the year suggests more exciting racing.
Sigh...
It's obviously just me then.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90657

Presumably Bernie asked the Churchill dog (one of F1's leadings figures) whether he thought the spectacle had been improved?

churchill_dog-oh_yes.jpg

Formula 1's new look for 2011 - with the introduction of moveable rear wings, the return to KERS and the switch to Pirelli – has helped make the spectacle much better, claim leading figures from within the sport.

With overtaking now easier for drivers, and Pirelli's aggressive rubber producing multi-stop races, the evidence from the first two events of the year suggests more exciting racing.
Sigh...
It's obviously just me then.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90657

No it isn't just you Bro', I found the DRS overtakes exceedingly unfulfilling and they actually diminished the outstanding overtaking that was going on outside the zone. I found it appalling that Mark Webber was overtaking people outside the zone without the aid of KERS and then having the place taken straight back again by cars using the DRS zone. That is ****ed up in opinion.

On a personal note the tyres and strategy required are incredibly frustrating, as McLaren are completely useless at creating race strategy on the hoof. They are not particularly clever when they have all night to think about a race actually.

Three abreast into the final turn! We would have been talking about that for weeks! :cheer:

As it is, barely a murmur. :bored:

It was stunning, by the way, snowy! But surely, you know that whatever happened we'd dwell on the bad things. For we are a forum. That's what happens!

It is one possibility I suppose, however I was on the edge of my seat, then all of a sudden I was in some kind of limbo, with no real appreciation of the shape of the race. People and events were appearing out of nowhere and disappearing just as fast. Even with Live Timing I was unable to sense the ebb and flow, I am just not a big fan of pit stops.

In my defence and the defence of this race, I have spent several days trying to unravel its mysteries and I have reached some conclusions.

The relative race pace of the top three cars and drivers are very close indeed and McLaren's race strategy isn't worth shit. :givemestrength:

My maths is pretty poor and I am dyslexic but it still doesn't bode well that it takes me another three days to appreciate an F1 race weekend... :coffee:

Three abreast into the final turn! We would have been talking about that for weeks! :cheer:

As it is, barely a murmur. :bored:

Are we talking about the Hamilton-Buemi-Schumacher tussle?

Because if so, I think that some of the shine was taken off that one when Schumi hit the pit lane. While still remarkable, and a perfectly legitimate battle in my estimation, it didn't seem as spectacular as it would have if Michael had fought for the spot till the bitter end.

As for the ease of overtaking, I only saw a handful of passes that could be classified as purely DRS-driven.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Webber having been overtaken by a car using KERS and DRS. Sure they had a momentary advantage in HP and top speed, but what of the rest of the lap when Mark enjoyed an enormous downforce advantage.

If we have to witness some relatively easy DRS passing at circuits like Sepang and Shanghai, it is a small price to pay if it can spice up the action a bit at Catalunya, the Hungaroring, or the Nurburgring.

Also, got to agree its all a bit hard to work out what is going on in a race at the moment, the tyres are falsifying the results a bit and DRS should be taken off the cars..

I don't buy into this. It isn't falsifying results, they've just increased the challenges. Tyres has a big impact on the races now, but that doesn't mean it is the most important factor. That is still the car which is why Red Bull have been dominant. The only difference is there is a new importance of the driver (to overtake) and the team (to create the strategy), rather than the driver's job just being to get the car to the end and the team to watch the race.

I understand some people's reservations because the sport is almost unrecognisable from that of last year, but it is the same sport with all the things that make it great heightened.

By the way, i was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who finds the new look F1 confusing? It is unpredictable of course, but i don't get how it can be confusing. At the end of the first stops, Rosberg miraculously appeared in 1st place. My first thought wasn't "i'm confused" it was "wow"! I sometimes feel like pundits say the public are saying they are confused simply because the press are asking "isn't it confusing" or in one case "isn't it too exciting"?

By the way, i was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who finds the new look F1 confusing? It is unpredictable of course, but i don't get how it can be confusing. At the end of the first stops, Rosberg miraculously appeared in 1st place. My first thought wasn't "i'm confused" it was "wow"! I sometimes feel like pundits say the public are saying they are confused simply because the press are asking "isn't it confusing" or in one case "isn't it too exciting"?

I think I tend to find it depends on how focused, or how tired or how ill I'm feeling. Generally I can follow a race pretty well, understand why things are happening, possibilities, likelihoods and the rest of whatnot. But I couldn't say I've never been confused, never spent a few minutes looking at the live timings whilst watching the race trying to ascertain just what has happened (normally with the stops, I do admit) It's possibly something to do with my goldfish memory though.

Would I swap these exciting races that reward you for watching them for last year's Abu Dhabi and the like? Of course not.

I am glad Legard isn't even attempting to commentate on them though..

Yeah, the first 3 races haven't had any dramatic crashes, DNFs or safety cars. Although, i think we could yet see collisions and major mistakes from certain drivers when the pressure is on. You'd think with the new rules collisions and mistakes would become more likely.

At the end of the day, Formula 1 is a sport. The rules are set at the start of the season and the winner is the driver and team who best respond to these rules.

I think I tend to find it depends on how focused, or how tired or how ill I'm feeling. Generally I can follow a race pretty well, understand why things are happening, possibilities, likelihoods and the rest of whatnot. But I couldn't say I've never been confused, never spent a few minutes looking at the live timings whilst watching the race trying to ascertain just what has happened (normally with the stops, I do admit) It's possibly something to do with my goldfish memory though.

Would I swap these exciting races that reward you for watching them for last year's Abu Dhabi and the like? Of course not.

I am glad Legard isn't even attempting to commentate on them though..

This is perhaps a good point. I watch most races on the edge of my seat these days a bit like i do with my favourite sport football. I guess it is more complicated, but i don't think i've ever been confused by it. Also, as the season gets on these races will become the norm and we will soon instantly recognise why teams are doing certain things. As for strategies and stuff, we are not meant to know which is the best one while the race is going on. That is the point.

I also agree it is lucky Legard didn't get kept on. Brundle makes a fantastic lead commentator. I was a bit worried after his very robotic introduction in the first race, but about 5 minutes later the relationship between him and David became so natural that nobody really talks about it because it is seamless.

Back
Top Bottom