Site Suggestions & Updates

What does everyone else think?
I'm not sure there are enough photo and video threads to justify a dedicated forum.

The site YouTube channel is just used for the circuit simulation videos, which are royalty free.
Uploading any copyrighted content to it will just result in it being closed down so what exactly did you have in mind Ninja?

Lot's of other F1 YouTube Channels have embedding and sharing enabled. This would allow you to post videos and playlists without unlawfully uploading, claiming to own or illegally sharing.

I would suggest setting up some playlists on YouTube with legally sourced contents and then posting updates to each through dedicated blog-style forums.

Some themes to kick-off with might be "Advertisements", "Promotional Events", "F1-Tech", "Nostalgia", etc.

You could also run a newsfeed with links to other online video content, such as the official FOM videos and BBC videos such as the recent documentaries.

I haven't given this a great deal of thought, but I reckon it will be of interest to a fair few users.

Might also be worth doing something around audio. I was thinking of creating a playlist on Spotify/Last.fm with the playout tunes to all the races this year. Podcast feeds are easy to come by too and are, by their very nature, syndicated.

Sounds interesting but way too much for me to take on I'm afraid.

I've pretty much got my hands full just maintaining and updating the site in what (very) little spare time I have.

The spriting is complete.
A hard refresh will resolve any issues on any of the Race Hub pages.

There are some alignment issues in Internet Explorer, but if Microsoft can't be bothered to ensure it complies with basic standards, that's not my problem.

Do you know how to include an IE6 only stylesheet using "conditional comments"?

I've stopped caring much about IE6 but it's a way of bug-fixing CSS for IE without compromising your compliant CSS,

Do you know how to include an IE6 only stylesheet using "conditional comments"?
Yes, I did that on the old site and I still do it for the dynamic charts on the Race Hub pages - they don't appear in IE as IE doesn't support them.

I'm no longer prepared to spend hours hacking the code to get it to work in IE though.
The site is optimised for Chrome and Firefox, which are much better browsers than IE, and at least comply with the standards.

:D

BTW, if anyone's wondering what a sprite is, this is one: http://cliptheapex.com/resources/flags/flags_medium.png

As you can see on this page, there are lots of flag images: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/2011-race-hub/
So instead of having 19 separate images, which would result in 19 separate GET requests from your browser to the server (to GET the image), it's just a single image and therefore 1 GET request.
Width, height and background positioning is used to select the portion of the image you want to display.

Less data to transfer and faster loading times.
Everyone's a winner.

In preparation for the upgrade to 1.1 and the new features available, and to give those who have upgraded their accounts a little more benefit, the default post editing time has been reduced from 24 hours to 1 hour.

That should still be more than enough time to correct typo's or revise comments.

Now that we have the ability to show thread titles, but hide the content (from guests), the Statistics & Analysis forum is now visible on the forum home page whether logged in or out.

Clicking on a thread title will result in a permission error if logged out though; likewise for the overtaking page.

I think there's an error on the countdown clock on the main page, just checking what time the race will start and it says 8 hours and 10 minutes but the race starts in 7 hours and 10 minutes.

Only a small error but would miss the only interesting part of the race!

I have made it slightly easier to see who voted for which option on public polls.

Until now, it has only been possible to see the voters by clicking on the total votes for each option.
Now I have also made the results bar clickable, as as well as adding a tooltip to both.
The results bar also changes colour on hover.

vote-results.png

This only applies to public polls; private polls will not be affected.

Liveleak and Metacafe have been added to the list of supported video media sites.

In addition, it is no longer necessary to click the Media button on the toolbar and paste in the URL.
Just paste any URLs directly into posts and they will be converted automatically.

If anyone has any requests for any others, please say.

Back
Top Bottom