Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Come the end of this season, Lewis is going to have to reconcile the fact that Sebastian will be the youngest ever double WDC, a record I suspect he thought he would have held by now, to go with his youngest ever/rookie WDC.

Sure, it's a nice feather in your cap, but does this really matter? I would hope Lewis realizes that it will be the final WDC and GP win tallies that people will be interested in down the road.

I hope these guys will be battling at the front for a long time. When they're both Triple WDC's in 2019, the fact that Vettel got his 2nd before Hamilton might feel a bit meaningless. :D

The low was reached at the Monaco GP this season. Since then however, he has started to lighten up and that has reflected itself in his driving.

But after Monaco he didn't maximize his chances in Canada (for what ever reasons) and he ought to have at least had a 2nd, at worst, a 3rd in Hungary. (That's assuming he shouldn't be absolutely pissed for losing a "guaranteed" (according to Bro) win there.)

I hope these guys will be battling at the front for a long time. When they're both Triple WDC's in 2019, the fact that Vettel got his 2nd before Hamilton might feel a bit meaningless. :D
That's just it though.

Lewis was 1 point away from what 99.99% of people assumed would be the first ever rookie WDC in 2007.
Losing that must have knocked him for six, I don't care how well he seemed to take it.

Granted he got it the following year (just!), but in 2009 he finished an anonymous 5th and was one non-DNF away from the title in 2010 again.
This year again he has virtually no chance of taking it, so a conversion rate of 20% is more than likely well under the target he set for himself.

If he fails to take it again in 2012 then that will be 1 championship in 6 seasons and it will have an effect on him.

As I said in an earlier post, there's a lot of unfulfilled potential when it comes to Lewis Hamilton.

Could Lewis have been a 3x WDC right now? Without a doubt. But he's not.

Alain Prost could/should have won in 1982, 83, and 84. This made him a 30 year old looking for his first title.

While he probably could/should have achieved a bit more at this stage, Hamilton is still ahead of the game.

I'm looking towards Belgium!

Has some one finally sat him down and had a word with him about the "negative waves"? His attitude was starting to have an effect on his racing and lets be honest, his marketability to sponsors. .

Are you able to point to a particular race where Hamilton's racing has clearly been affected by his attitude. Even after the low point of Canada ( and the heavy criticism that came with it) he still went to Valencia and put a seemingly uncompetitive McLaren in 4th and ahead of his team mate who was meant to be on a high after winning the previous race. Let's not forget that McLaren have finally brought some major updates to the car and this is closely linked to the recent improvement in their performance.The point is you can question Hamilton's attitude outside the cockpit but his approach to racing has been pretty consistent, regardless of the lows and highs. I'm sure even McLaren realise that his racing style is something you cannot legislate for and generally they let him get on with it. Last I checked, he actually wants less sponsorship commitments.

Are you able to point to a particular race where Hamilton's racing has clearly been affected by his attitude. Even after the low point of Canada ( and the heavy criticism that came with it) he still went to Valencia and put a seemingly uncompetitive McLaren in 4th and ahead of his team mate who was meant to be on a high after winning the previous race. Let's not forget that McLaren have finally brought some major updates to the car and this is closely linked to the recent improvement in their performance.The point is you can question Hamilton's attitude outside the cockpit but his approach to racing has been pretty consistent, regardless of the lows and highs. I'm sure even McLaren realise that his racing style is something you cannot legislate for and generally they let him get on with it. Last I checked, he actually wants less sponsorship commitments.

No, not really. It was just a feeling I had that he was letting things get to him and had too much going on around him outside of the car to focus on it on race day. I'm not a shrink or a racing driver or an expert in any way shape or form it was just my opinion.

I thought Hamilton's attitude towards the media in Canada was highly praised. His little visit to Red Bull was criticised but that didn't come out until after - and I can't blame him for trying anyways.

However is attitude before and after the race in Monoco stank and I'm sure thats what CaT was getting at. We've all gone into work in a stinking mood and anyone who says it doesn't make a difference in what they do is fibbing.

There has been a noticable change in Lewis since Monoco - we don't get him shouting at the team over the radio anymore, he's always quick to thank the team first even after a bad race. He's veyr quick to compliment Jenson/ He comes across as less of a sore loser - I don't think someones 'had a word with him' I think he's just realised that problems are better dealt with behind closed doors.

And with the change in attitude he is a lot faster as well which links to the "happy lewis is a fast lewis" thread.

No, not really. It was just a feeling I had that he was letting things get to him and had too much going on around him outside of the car to focus on it on race day. I'm not a shrink or a racing driver or an expert in any way shape or form it was just my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification, as long as we are clear that there is a distinction between his attitude outside the cockpit ( i don't disagree this has been questionable at times but he is the most marketable driver in the field and this naturally comes with more media scrutiny) and his approach to racing which I believe has been pretty consistent since he entered F1. I would suggest the real evidence lies in the results he's achieved after tough periods and Valencia was a prime example. You won't find many drivers fighting their way back up to 4th the way he did after everything that happened last Sunday or even going back to Monaco - throwing one up the inside of Maldonado after serving a drive through for the clash with Massa. Mentally I think he is as tough as they come - this is why he never moved across for Alonso and a more experienced pro like Massa does.

And with the change in attitude he is a lot faster as well which links to the "happy lewis is a fast lewis" thread.

I think we can safely say that McLaren have found extra performance when Jenson qualifies third in Hungary and a few tenths off pole, so Hamilton is not alone in this regard.

Interesting fact - Lewis scored more points in 2007 than he did in his championship year of 2008 despite scoring more wins in 2008. Just goes to show how unlucky he was it was such a competitve field that year.

he is currently on 16 wins which is equal with the legendary Stirling Moss.

Question - in future years after I'm sure he'll secure more championships do you see the prospect of a 'Hamilton F1' team? His dad is a very ambitious man and could we see them enter into this venture together? a long time off obviously.

Lewis has a situation where he has to fight his team-mate for the best strategy (as the team like to split these), his team mate only wins in changeable weather conditions, therefore Lewis is up against Seb and Fred with a hand tied

This is actually good, because in posterity the greatest respect comes for those drivers who beat all comers in the same car, now even if Lewis has to wait a few years before he starts winning back to back WC's so be it.

Jim Clark, Gilles Villeneuve, Senna I am sure command more respect than others who had more titles

Alonso has his Massa

Seb luckily has a situation where Webber is serially unlucky

Lewis has a situation where he has to fight his team-mate for the best strategy (as the team like to split these), his team mate only wins in changeable weather conditions, therefore Lewis is up against Seb and Fred with a hand tied

This is actually good, because in posterity the greatest respect comes for those drivers who beat all comers in the same car, now even if Lewis has to wait a few years before he starts winning back to back WC's so be it.

Jim Clark, Gilles Villeneuve, Senna I am sure command more respect than others who had more titles

Agree...also Stirling Moss.....no WDC...but great respect

Back
Top Bottom