Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

That's irrelevant.

As long as he complied with the rules then it matters not whether it was instigated by the driver, the team, or under instruction from the stewards.

Many times drivers have cut chicanes and given the place back within a few seconds - there's no way a steward could have been involved with those decisions as there just wouldn't have been time.

Thats the crux of the Alonso incident; he was definitely instructed to give the place back. He raced away then slowed up to let Klein through, then repassed him. Hamilton may have been told he had to give the place back, but of course like Alonso in Silverstone last year, Raikkonen was by that time out of the Grand Prix.

I agree Brogan but this was obviously not a black and white situation. As far as I'm aware Hamilton complied with the rules but I accept that Charlie's hands were tied. My point is had McLaren been advised during the race that Hamilton hadn’t yielded enough contrary to what Charlie told them during the race, this whole farce would’ve been avoided. The reason Alonso was not given a timed after japan 05 was because the stewards intervened when they decided he hadnt fully complied with the rules.

I wonder if Alonso had gone on to win the race whether the penalty would have been given after the race, so maybe same punishment but completely different result. The stewards should have told Hamilton to re re give up the place during the race and not caused the farce that they did.

We now know though that McLaren were in the bad books of the commandant

Looking forward to Spa in 3 weeks, Lewis goes well there having won twice before LOL

Spa 2008? Nope, just checked my computer and it it says it's Spa 2011 in a few weeks. Let it go people, none of us is Big Brother so we can't control the past.

You read my mind ;)

Yes that incident is part of Lewis Hamilton's career to date, however, that particular incident has been debated to death, please leave it.

Just to be clear

I support LH only because I think he is the best driver on the grid AND is unfairly represented.

WCs, records, cultural bias etc are irrelevant for me

If I was a betting man I would put my house on him against all the rest on a level playing field.

If he was not here then I would bet on Seb on a level playing field

"Unfairly Represented", I don't quite understand the context of this could you explain it perhaps? If It is what I think, then I am rather surprised, awestruck that someone can think that Lewis has not been given a fair deal in his time in Formula One, to me that is unfounded.

"Level Playing Field", I don't see why he is not on a level par right now, McLaren have a good package and his downfalls have been in no part down to fault of his own. To me when viewed the last two statements seems like a potshot, while the last tends to act as a buffer or reprieve statement.

Anyways each to our own, perhaps you can explain that "fairness" part.

Hamilton fans see almost as bi-polar as he is. When he wins it's the greatest victory ever, when he loses there is a whole swathe of excuses as to why he didn't win most of which seem to not be his fault. I think the problem for most of us F1 fans (don't get me wrong me wrong, I like Lewis both as a person and a driver) is the lack of objectivity they have toward the man. Every stewarding decision is victimisation, every time he crash there's a reason why it wasn't his fault.

Inevitably Lewis was bound to attract a huge amount of attention when he started in F1. He was very young and started in a top team, he'd been groomed by a top team, came from a relatively poor background compared to many of the drivers on the grid and, probably most interesting to the tabloid press, he was the driver from an Afro/Caribbean background to race in F1.

What I would hope is that his detractors don't damn him when he's not at fault and his fans don't cry "victim" every time something doesn't go his way.

Back
Top Bottom