Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Vettel's actions at the start of the race was no different to how he (or many other drivers) choose to start, certainly not just him and Schumie. Button was only just level with his rear wheels when he had to back out so Vettel had the corner. I think it showed his true spirit as a racing driver, both at the start and that the team had to tell him to back off rather than just holding for position. How many drivers have just driven round to get the point or two they need to win a title? Vettel wanted to win, well done him.

Can't help but think if it were Hamilton or Button doing it to Vettel or Alonso many on here would be praising them for making an "aggressive" move to hold their position but ho, hum it's a British forum and there are bound to be more fans of British drivers.

Not sure I'd agree with your last paragraph.
History shows that if it was Hamilton who had done that, he would have been crucified on forums (including this one) and in the press.

Still, let's not go there.

If Hamilton had started the way Vettel did, he would have received a drive-through-penalty 100%...And even though I can't stand Vettel I have to admit that I liked his start:goodday:

Anyway...congratulations on a simply superbly won championship from Vettel and the team. He's hardly put a foot wrong and in the process made the car look a lot better, I think, than it actually is. Truly outstanding and perhaps we finally have someone in the post-Schumacher era a cut above the rest of the herd. Early to judge that, but he's very, very impressive.

I would say, considering there aren't any major changes in the regulations for next season, that Vettel has a very good chance of becoming a triple back-to-back world champion.

I would say, considering there aren't any major changes in the regulations for next season, that Vettel has a very good chance of becoming a triple back-to-back world champion.
It would be difficult to disagree with that. Most teams on the grid will struggle to build a car that's as good as the RB7, let alone Newey's 2012 creation. Unless he drops the ball on reliability or Mark ups his game, I don't see anyone else winning the championship.

Now that Vettel and (soon) Red Bull have won both championships, they can pretty much exclusively concentrate on testing new parts for next season.

Which will give them an advantage over the other teams.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=It...2&tbnw=183&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

Even back then when he won his first GP with Toro Rosso did Vettel look like he was heading for big things in F1.

He well and truly has been the class of the field this season and throughly deserves his title as the youngster ever double world champion in F1. Could really see his emotion when the BEEB showed him that video at the end of the forum today just how much this means to him.

The BBC forum was perhaps even better than last year in Abu Dhabi, the montage and the soundtrack really ups the emotion, though they could have selected better footage for Vettel, but I agree he was overcome with emotion, Ted mentioned it in his pit lane report as well and I think Vettel it up best by saying "You should'nt do these things man".

Anyway...congratulations on a simply superbly won championship from Vettel and the team. He's hardly put a foot wrong and in the process made the car look a lot better, I think, than it actually is.

Agreed!

Spain, Monaco and Italy come to mind.

Awesome!

A great driver, arguably one of the Top 12 Grand Prix drivers since Nuvolari.

Truly outstanding and perhaps we finally have someone in the post-Schumacher era a cut above the rest of the herd. Early to judge that, but he's very, very impressive.

It may be early to judge but Vettel's trumped a serious pack of Aces in very short order.

Schumacher never had to deal with this level and depth of talent during his title-winning years. Once Senna, Prost and Mansell had gone, there was a serious lack of competition for Schumacher...and whenever there was some competition, it was bitch-slapped down by favouritism by the FIA towards Ferrari (as confirmed by Max Mosley).

For these reasons I can respect Vettel's achievement way more than Schumacher's.

What Vettel did at the start of the race earlier today pales in comparison to the standards of dirty racing set by Schumacher in 1994, 1997, 2006.

It wasn't even close!

Its all relative, Schumacher appeared to have less competition in some people eyes but that because he was simply just so dominant back then, he didn’t allow anyone else to shine at times, never mind win championships. But there was good drivers on the grid, anyone who thinks there was no ‘decent’ drivers for 10 years reaching formula 1 is deluded he simply ended their careers early and unfulfilled in many cases. That’s what domination in sport is. When he was in the second best car or equal we had fantastic seasons, when he had the best car it was total annihilation game-over bore fest to some.

If Vettel was to dominate for the next 5 years in the way he has this season some people would be saying he had no completion too, but the simple fact is he dominated them and the season. Look at Hamilton and Alonso, we all know these guys are good, but going on this season alone they were simply no competition for Vettel in the Red Bull, even his team mate appears to be a beaten number 2, so if this season repeated more times we’d say the same.

Its just how you chose to see it.

Well done Vettel, been great all season, finished every race in the points, out of the 15 races he has been on the podium 14 times, and 9 of them being wins.

I think his drive today yesterday (I am a day behind) defined him as a "true racer" and a "champion", first from his start, then to trying to get past Alonso.

His best race of the season for me, was Monza, going round the outside of Alonso two wheels off the grass round Curva Grande was pretty special, after that, didn't see him until the podium ceremony!

Spain is a close second too, came out of the pits banzaid it, overtaking cars in the process, then fending off a faster with no KERS at times.

This video is pretty great, I have also posted it in the Japanese GP discussion thread, but it goes so well with the moment:

Now that Vettel and (soon) Red Bull have won both championships, they can pretty much exclusively concentrate on testing new parts for next season.

Why will it give them an advantage. The other teams can all do that as well, can't they?

Alonso said they were already concentrating on 2012, doing experimental things with the cars for the remaining 5 races... Of course, Red Bull already has an advantage seeing how next year's car is basically an evolution of this year.
Perhaps Vettel can make it 3 in a row, that would be something.

Back
Top Bottom