Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

With Volkswagen Groups reputation currently lower than a snakes bum in a tyre track, this could be a useful, hands off way of getting a bit of cred back. If it goes well it will be a VW group triumph and if it fails, Lambo cocked it up. Let's hope for Red Bulls sake it runs better than the overweight thursty lump in the Lotus 102. Having said that, Senna, after testing a McLaren Lambo lash up in late 93 recommended to Ron Dennis to go for that engine. Apparently Senna considered staying with the team but when Ron went for the works Peugot deal he confirmed his move to Williams.

I think the difference is Red Bull know they need to keep their eyes on it and not slate the brand in public again should they want another engine partner

I get the feeling they may name it TAG - Lamborghini to please the sponsors as well

I also feel Honda and Mclaren got complacent with each other and did not truly understand the task at hand to succeed in the new hybrid era

FB

Given that they, like all of the top teams, have a budget that would do credit to a defense contract, I seriously doubt that they will bat an eye at any fine levied upon them. I just hope that starting early means that they will be more competitive this year and F1 won't be as boring as it has been the last two seasons.

Road of Bones For once he is being realistic rather than set expectations so why only to end up with egg on your face

I think last season's lessons to be learned is not to pi$$ off your partners because no one wanted to work with them

Oh dear FB , you're at about my level of gloom. Someone said to me the other day that the only way was up, and I queried it. It didn't go up at all, just down a bit more..
Shit happens, sometimes a bit too much.

Back
Top Bottom