Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

And they reputedly have a $1bn penalty clause for leaving F1 (dated from their last agreement in 2010 I think), reducing by $100m each year - so they would have to pay Bernie $500m or so if they chose to leave at the end of this year. They've really got themselves into a hole.

And they reputedly have a $1bn penalty clause for leaving F1 (dated from their last agreement in 2010 I think), reducing by $100m each year - so they would have to pay Bernie $500m or so if they chose to leave at the end of this year. They've really got themselves into a hole.

I read this also. If this is the case, then their threat to quit is non credible. More likely is that they will do whatever is needed to get any engine they can.

They should have taken the deal for 2015 Ferrari engines.

rufus_mcdufus Has one tweeted this to Red Bull ? clearly both Horner and Newey are trying to call everyone's bluff to get a decent engine

Has anyone heard at Red Bull heard of contingency planning if you were planning to stay in F1?:facepalm::whistle::oops:

I mean what team would slate their current engine partner and not consider making sure it has a new engine partner ready? I mean Mclaren made sure they have one in place before splitting with their existing partners

---------------------------

F1 news: Carlos Sainz Jr thinks Toro Rosso's F1 future now looks more secure

According to this article Toro Rosso will get Ferrari engines !

Last edited:
Red Bull scenarios: The possible outcomes for F1’s unsettled team

Here is James Allen taken on this Red Bull:censored: conundrum.

It appears were Red Bull to go back to Renault :please:heads will need to roll like I suggested Renault should demand Horner be sacked or removed but I am surprise Cyril Abiteboul’s position is being questioned at Renault and he needs to made sacrificial lamb to appease Red Bull?

Some leadership at Renault may need to go simply because of their failure to deliver (regardless of what red Bull wants). Thats performance management. Ferrari took people out when they weren't winning and it had nothing to do with external pressure.

I think many of JAs scenarios are incomplete and not meaningful. For instance Red Bull withdraws and Horner takes over is not an answer to the engine problem - just because they lose their main sponsor would not make Mercedes or Ferrari more willing to supply them.

Last edited:
Batman

In terms of performance management that is very hard to understand but it does happen to say that the person representing your company is useless or the one causing friction between the two parties.

Now I can compare with McLaren who want Mr Arai removed because he has failed to deliver on promises about the engine and won't even apologise unless he has done it privately

Compare to Red Bull who are a customer and working relations is not like McLaren and Honda. Do they have the power to say he want this person not to represent your company to Renault's faces?

the thing I see is that the sensitivity around it and it would be a slap in the face to Renault that Red Bull have dictated this and considering they have brow beaten Renault to death in public.

I mean what if the next guy fails for Renault so do Red Bull want him replaced too? It is different at Ferrari because they own everything so it is within their power to have them removed from the engine division.

Unless Red Bull are like shareholders of Renault I can't see how they can have Abiteboul sacked. Having said that it does depend on what was part of the performance management objectives for Abiteboul and his team but I can't see him being removed given the circumstances

Newey: "Ferrari & Merc scared" ...what type of fear is Adrian thinking off? Fear of being beaten or criticised? https://bulletnews.net/news/newey-ferrari-and-merc-scared…

This was on Alex Wurz's tweet - an Austrian might I add

I think its clear to everyone but Red Bull that the fear of being criticised and damaging your brand in front of the public:whistle::facepalm: How much do these guys want to be in denial? They are not exactly winning friends with their stance

Batman

In terms of performance management that is very hard to understand but it does happen to say that the person representing your company is useless or the one causing friction between the two parties.

Now I can compare with McLaren who want Mr Arai removed because he has failed to deliver on promises about the engine and won't even apologise unless he has done it privately

Compare to Red Bull who are a customer and working relations is not like McLaren and Honda. Do they have the power to say he want this person not to represent your company to Renault's faces?

the thing I see is that the sensitivity around it and it would be a slap in the face to Renault that Red Bull have dictated this and considering they have brow beaten Renault to death in public.

I mean what if the next guy fails for Renault so do Red Bull want him replaced too? It is different at Ferrari because they own everything so it is within their power to have them removed from the engine division.

Unless Red Bull are like shareholders of Renault I can't see how they can have Abiteboul sacked. Having said that it does depend on what was part of the performance management objectives for Abiteboul and his team but I can't see him being removed given the circumstances

Agree. This is Carlos Ghosn's decision and his alone.

That said I think if you compare the resume of Cyril Abiteboul to Andy Cowell at Mercedes Benz High Performance Powertrains, I think it is very obvious that Cyril is significantly less qualified for the job. He has a little engineering experience, but really made his name as a business development guy. I don't know if he is the right guy to be the ultimate decision maker on R&D direction and trade-offs.

Last edited:
Newey: Renault relationship 'pretty terminal' - PlanetF1

I think Adrian's words about Red Bull and Renault would make it difficult to repair any working relations. For goodness sake a public apology to Renault showing goodwill might be a start. If I was Renault boss I certainly would not go anywhere near Red Bull and let them rot

This is why I like the manufacturer era. Let's face it - there are only four teams cap able of winning championships - Red Bull, McLaren-Honda, Ferrari and Red Bull. The last three are manufacturers and two of the three are capable of winning next year, and I am sure McLaren will be back one day too.

The engine era really only hurt Red Bull in a systematic way, and quite frankly I have very little sympathy for Red Bull. They are arrogant whiny and entitled. Nobody owes them anything.

The problem is if Red Bull pull out they will take four cars off the grid. That's a huge chunk of the teams. They are also the most successful of the privateer teams recently. They are the only ones that can play with the big boys. We really are seeing a clear divide between works teams and privateers (exception = Mclaren).

Red Bull rub me the wrong way. They do come across as arrogant and as a bunch of sore losers. However, they are not in the sport to make up the numbers. They are there to win, that's it. They have been caught out on the new engine rules and can now see themselves languishing for the foreseeable future. That's why they are threatening a walk out.

If F1 continues to place the emphasis on manufacturers then we will slowly see the loss of all privateers as their budgets will not be able to compete with the big boys. No one wants to continually be at the back. After the privateers go you will have a constructor who is always at the back, they'll leave and then the next one will. It's a cycle that could spell the end of the sport.

Red Bull may not be everyone's favorite, I know I couldn't stand them between '10 and '13, but they are good for the sport. Think how dull this season would be without RB or TR.

I am continuing to hope for a radical change to the sport to help the competitive side of the sport. However, it probably will never come. Too many people are lining their pockets with the current set up for anything to change unless they are forced to due to the sport losing money.

If F1 continues to place the emphasis on manufacturers then we will slowly see the loss of all privateers as their budgets will not be able to compete with the big boys. No one wants to continually be at the back. After the privateers go you will have a constructor who is always at the back, they'll leave and then the next one will. It's a cycle that could spell the end of the sport.

You state this as if it is something new, but in reality if you look at the history of the sport, there have always been privateers who fall to the back, and they go as you say, and others always come and fill their space. Remember these names who came and went:
Brabham
Simtek
Super Aguri
BAR
Minardi
HRT
Jordan
Leyton House
Ligier
Prost
Midland
Stewart
Virgin
Marussia

Basically the back of the grid and even the midfield privateers are a revolving door. Big deal. There are always coming in. We lose 4 spots with Red Bull leaving, we will gain 2 from Haas, and we will gain another 2 from the whoever buys out RedBull or Toro Rosso (one of the teams will get bought out for sure). So grid for next season will be even or perhaps bigger even if Red Bull pulls out.

No need to **** over the manufacturers who drive real innovation, to help privateers who don't represent the pinnacle of the sport.

To me it seems strange to differentiate between car manufacturers and everyone else, and this notion that the car manufacturers are somehow more evil. The more significant differentiator for me would be whether the team manufactures their own engine or not. McLaren is a car manufacturer who doesn't make their own engine, Mercedes/Ferrari and soon-to-be Renault team do. It's not totally impossible a non-manufacturer (e.g Red Bull as they have the money) could build their own engine in future.

I do think if Red Bull had Eric Bouillier was in charge of the team instead of Christian Horner then relationships with Renault would be much smoother through difficult periods.

Christian Horner needs management lessons on good PR and CRM ( customer relations management):whistle::ermmm::facepalm:

I'm not against manufacturers being in the sport. They are, and have always been a huge part of the sport and have contributed so much.

My concern is the current state of F1 does not realistically support a successful run from a privateer team (there are exceptions).

As long as there are rich people looking to lose millions in bringing in their own team then we are set I suppose. Remember that the financial situation is vastly different now to in previous years. There is no more free tobacco money for these teams, alcohol money seems to be going away (I was surprised by the lack of alcohol sponsorship in Russia, is there a new EU ban on it?), banks are also pulling support. Where is the new revenue supposed to come from to fund these teams?

To me it seems strange to differentiate between car manufacturers and everyone else, and this notion that the car manufacturers are somehow more evil. The more significant differentiator for me would be whether the team manufactures their own engine or not. McLaren is a car manufacturer who doesn't make their own engine, Mercedes/Ferrari and soon-to-be Renault team do. It's not totally impossible a non-manufacturer (e.g Red Bull as they have the money) could build their own engine in future.

Agree. Red Bull could buy Renault's engine operations or start their own.
I'm not against manufacturers being in the sport. They are, and have always been a huge part of the sport and have contributed so much.

My concern is the current state of F1 does not realistically support a successful run from a privateer team (there are exceptions).
As long as there are rich people looking to lose millions in bringing in their own team then we are set I suppose. Remember that the financial situation is vastly different now to in previous years. There is no more free tobacco money for these teams, alcohol money seems to be going away (I was surprised by the lack of alcohol sponsorship in Russia, is there a new EU ban on it?), banks are also pulling support. Where is the new revenue supposed to come from to fund these teams?

There is a lot of advertising dollars. The best thing FOM could do is stop competing with the teams and stealing their sponsors.

Sorry but I have to ask, can anybody actually explain to me what a "privateer team" actually means?...Or in what way exactly Williams are any more"private" than any other team? Or why should a team with "works" engine e considered as any less "private"...

Back in the old day a privateer team only meant one thing, and that was a team entering another team's car (usually from the previous year), but there are no customer cars anymore.So mow in the ast few years it seems to have become a bit of a buzz word, as though it actually meant anything, other than being an engine "partner" rather than customer.

Williams used to have partnerships with Honda, Renault and BMW. So were they a "corporate" team then, who then reverted to being "private", back to "corporate" and back again to "private"???

Manufacturers are evil according to Bernie's eyes>:(:twisted: because they would be the ones who would help drive influence for the teams about more money and form a breakaway championships

The other thing is apart from Ferrari they come and go so they don't have the sport as their No1 interest.

Privateers depending on the conditions may either side or be against the manufacturer

Are Red Bull a privateer team ? Yes because they design their own F1 cars but their purpose is not to sell road cars is my definition

Williams are a privateer team because they exist to only compete in motorsport.

Back
Top Bottom