Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

The RB8 has won Autosport's Racing Car of the Year Award, beating the Le Mans-winning Audi R18 E-tron, the DeltaWing DW LM12, Toyota's first hybrid Le Mans challenger TS030, Lotus's race-winning E20 and McLaren's MP4-27

Sky, in their season review, reckon Red Bull might not be ready for the first test session. Wonder if it's disinformation on the part of RBR?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20898956

Now last time Red Bull were not ready was 2010 because the late deal sorting out the Renault engine in missing the first test but they cam back flying in the second test and were quick when the season began

I am not sure if they are going to suffer the same problems as Mclaren and Ferrari after 2008 because 2009 there were big rule changes and these teams started their car late.

Rumour has it that it will be Hulkenberg in the Red Bull in 2014. Watch this space.

I'm not surprised he wants Webber out. His record is pretty awful abd if it wasn't for the adrian newy car I don't think he'd be anywhere near the top drivers. I think he's gained from the car far more than Vettel.

But I wonder if Seb would want Nico H in the Red Bull? I don't doubt Mark's commitment & striving to get that elusive WDC but Nico would have that extra oomph a young enthusiastic person at the start of his career brings.
If I were an up and coming F1 driver (I can dream!) I'm not sure I'd want to jump into Vettel's team where the chance of being given equal status is unlikely while the current management is around.
For an unbiased viewer though it's a tantalising prospect to pit Seb against Nico...

RasputinLives

I disagree with the EBD ban..Webber was onto Vettel's pace. When Red Bull found the extra downforce that replicate similar levels to the EBD it was Vettel who quick at the end of the season.

Though I agree Webber is overrated and always seems to be inconsistent or not on it at the wrong moment of the season
He 'll do a great race like SIlverstone and have an absolute stinker like Abu dhabi and have a series of awful races where he looks like an amateur

Helmut has his own agenda at Red Bull .. he might as well be the Team Principal not the muppet Horner then he can drop Webber without hinting and making snide remarks

Hulkenberg to Red Bull will only work if Vettel is going to Ferrari...I don't know why Rosberg has been linked with the team often and might be as he is out of contract at Mercedes next year

Isn't Helmut Marko the driver adviser to Red Bull. His remit, and that of Christian Horner, are very different and I somehow doubt he would be able to do some of the things Horner does within the team. I also struggle to understand why so much vitriol is directed towards all of the Red Bull staff. I presume it's because they have been successful, c'est la vie

Hear hear. I have noticed this a lot, but then McLaren and Mercedes get the same sort of stick, and generally from driver fan factions. I tend to leave a job after 6 months of proven success to avoid falling into the trap of being a victim of your own success. I think that is something quite unique to my industry, though. You certainly couldn't do that in F1 management - although, as a driver, some might argue that is exactly what Lewis Hamilton is doing in quitting whilst he is winning with the self-confidence that he can go and win somewhere else.

Anyway. Whatever people think of the Red Bull management, it cannot be argued that they are not doing a great job.

ExtremeNinja

Take Adrian Newey out they will look very ordinary

Seb should pull his pants down so Helmut can kiss butt cheeks judging by his blinkered views about Alonso and Webber

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20961585

Red Bull when they first came into F1 as a team wanted a team of Liuzzi and Klein - Helmut/ Dietrich's view but I think Horner convinced them that one experience driver DC was important rather than two rookies crashing a lot

What Helmut does to Webber is just as bad as Luca Di MOntezemolo does to Massa

Dunno. I think Nico would be a little boring for Red Bull. I really like Nico and am a fan but I don't think he would be a good brand fit. He's clean enough but he's not dirty enough. I say this from my experiences of regularly competing at Red Bull sponsored extreme sports events and having spent a lot of time with their BMX team (albeit some time ago now). OK, two different sports but the brand remains consistent.

Red Bull brand marketing - extreme sports - youthful - rebellious- energetic

Mark Webber certainly fits the energetic part with his fitness fanaticism doing iron man challenges and can be rebellious but just is not youthful

ExtremeNinja

Which Nico was it you were referring to ?

teabagyokel

Never thought of it like that I must say

If Helmut so much does not want Webber to one of his drivers simply solution .... why not be the team principal himself ?

You don't see Webber making remarks I'd like Helmut to share the victory spoils with me when I'm on top step

Back
Top Bottom