Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Well, if the tyres necessitate using last years floor, front wing and suspension set ups, it might be what they need....

Gary Anderson's article on BBC indicates

Red Bull is front tyre - which suggests downforce /wing related

Mercedes rear tyre - power to weight ratio not right from the engine especially when it is tanked up with fuel

I am sure if it were not for the tyres there would be something else teams would complain about like double diffusers

- Ferrari and Lotus have done a better job than the rest

- Mercedes- too many engineers to over complicate things you feel

- Red Bull - what next ? Reduce the other teams engine power by 40 bhp then

And now Lotus are unhappy. I am sure that they could complain if they wanted to, based on the rules needing total agreement to be changed, but they did not indicate that they would.

The Pits

From my understanding, from the rules that you posted, it only needs one team to reject the rule change does it not? If Bouillier is complaining, he's got to try and reject it.

The Pits

From my understanding, from the rules that you posted, it only needs one team to reject the rule change does it not? If Bouillier is complaining, he's got to try and reject it.
Without the concorde agreement in place, I'm not sure if they need everyone's blessing to go ahead..Not 100% sure on that, but I think they could use that argument if they wanted, unfortunately.

Ferrari said:
"Today however, it seems one must almost feel ashamed for choosing a strategy that, as always for that matter, is aimed at getting the most out of the package one has available."
LOL

Glad to know that Ferrari aren't concerned about or wimpering because one of their drivers seems to have a penchant for getting punctures in those somewhat easily deflatable boots. Maybe it's the No.2's fault, apparently. What seems to have escaped their attention though, is that the current tyre woes can affect anyone, seemingly unpredictably at any time. Whilst taking nothing away from Alonso and Ferrari for a well deserved victory, the Spanish GP was a survivors race. Actually, I expect that behind the scenes Ferrari are well aware that their own cars might suffer. If Pirelli goes ahead with changes then that will be confirmation that this is classic game play. After all, as I understand it, Ferrari and Lotus need only to formally object to Pirelli's plan to block it.

If Ferrari only had Jean Todt in charge he would be lobbying hard not to change the tyres in response to Red Bull's criticism

Fernando Alonso's victory in Spain last weekend was helped by the fact that his outfit was convinced from as early as Friday that the best strategy for the race was a four-stop.
Title rival Sebastian Vettel's race floundered when Red Bull failed to make a three-stop work and had to slot in an extra change of tyres.

This interests me because my feeling at the time was that there was only one car trying to win this race. The others were all fart arsing about, even Kimi didn't look like he was making his usual first stint assault. The Mercs despite their appalling tyre wear were trying to do a three stopper, just like Red Bull and Lotus. The number of totally clueless strategists in F1 is staggering and quite frankly incomprehensible.
If I've got a car that is incredibly fast and eats tyres why on God's Earth would I use its weakness and not its strength to dictate my strategy. Is Bernie the only guy in F1 circles who has read "The Art of War"?!!

Anything that annoys Ferrari is something that I am all for.

For years, possibly decades, they have been Bernie's favourite and the beneficiaries of his added largesse, as, in his opinion, being the only team essential to F1. I haven't heard them complain about that!!

What I would really like to see is a truly level playing field, without the Red Menace receiving favours from Bernie which, by definition disadvantages all other teams. Imagine how they would howl if that were to be the case!

I don't know if this has been posted on another thread. The FIA have ruled Pirelli can only make changes to the tyres in the interests of safety. They are not allowed to make changes in an attempt to reduce pit stops or to affect the racing. This is in keeping with the current regulations which states the tyre formulations are approved and set in place in September before the beginning of the following season and cannot be changed during the season except in the interests of safety.

I don't know if this has been posted on another thread. The FIA have ruled Pirelli can only make changes to the tyres in the interests of safety. They are not allowed to make changes in an attempt to reduce pit stops or to affect the racing. This is in keeping with the current regulations which states the tyre formulations are approved and set in place in September before the beginning of the following season and cannot be changed during the season except in the interests of safety.

Well, presumably as Pirelli have claimed that the rear tyre failures weren't unsafe, then there won't be any changes to the tyres then!

Paul Hembery - from Autosport website said:
: "It's important to point out that these delaminations, which occur when the tread comes off, do not compromise the safety of the tyres."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107475

They are making very small changes to prevent delamination, no other changes will be tolerated, quote from the FIA. The changes will only be to the rears, which were the tyres that were failing. Sorry Red Bull but thats the regulations. They had access to the same data and testing as all the other teams and haven't made a good enough job designing their chassis and suspension set up to suit the current rubber.

Back
Top Bottom