Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

Thought I'd give Mr Di Resta a word of praise after some solid results so far this season. He's going someway to change my view on him however he always has done well at the seasons start.

I've been very critical of him before but I have to admitt that there is a little part of me that has started to root for Paul Di Resta this season and I really enjoyed his overtakes at Monaco.

He's doing a decent job but then he always seems to at the start of the year.

I wonder if this is Di Resta's true breakthrough season, he's had some rotten luck so far, particularly in qualifying, but is still 8th in the Championship, the second highest British driver and ahead of both McLarens

I thought Paul was pretty special (in the old meaning of the word) today and did a great job. Starting last on the grid, then into the points then back to 13th(?) after a SC pitstop to finish up 9th.

He may not be the luckiest driver on the grid and may not ever make a WDC but he is now showing he has grit and skill.

I don't think Paul will go to Red Bull unless Seb wants to settle an old score

That might hurt Seb's ego unless Seb has no fear for Di Resta

As for Lotus that might be a possibility because I really can't see any other drives for Di Resta out there to leave Force India except maybe Ferrari . It looks like Rosberg is about to cement his seat at Mercedes and Mclaren is not an option unless he is going to for a bit of blind faith to join them

Someone asked Gary Anderson if DI Resta is a potential world champion in his BBC column

One thing Gary pointed out was he did not like Di Resta's attitude . So do you think he has a point ?

I have noticed he has a tendancy to assume he deserves to be at the top rather than earn it but it could be the way the media presents him.

I have to admitt I didn't like it when in 2011 he started complaining about not getting set up time on Fridays because he had to let Hulkenberg in the car when he'd got his shot by being the Friday driver and taking Liuzzi's set up time off him. Seemed a bit hypocritical.

well if you were Force India would you give him new parts to try out given he's been making noises he wants to move or favour Sutil who is just glad to be back in F1

I think you've got to keep backing both drivers because every point counts in F1 for a team like Force India. At the moment they could be on for a strong finish ahead of McLaren and as best of the rest. 5th place is worth a good chunk of cash in the final analysis, not to mention the increased appeal to sponsorship. Finishing ahead of McLaren would be a great achievement for the team so to withdraw support from a want away driver would do more harm than good in the long term.

cider_and_toast

On the every point counts bit - try telling Sutil not to block the leaders or he might have cost the team more valuable points

Di Resta had another messed up qualification by his team which is just not what he wanted as this could be critical driver market time

I think Di Resta's Force india seat is at risk unless he can turn things around - there's hints that his end of 2013 is going to be similar to 2012 when Hulkenberg completely outclassed him. I don't think the way he has openly blamed the team on occasion this year will so him any favours either.

Back
Top Bottom