1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Motorsport' started by cider_and_toast, Nov 10, 2016.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Mexico was the race of the season for me. Di Grassi holding on to a superb win with little power left in the car and Mitch Evans taking 4th for Jaguar.

All it all, this season has been another step forward and for once I managed to watch a significant number of races.

I'm looking forward to next year and I hope the Jaguar team can take a significant step forward with their car. Mitch Evans has done a great job but Adam Carroll has let the side down. Given the number of manufacturers waiting to come in, at least Jag have managed a full season of experience which can only help them move forward.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    On that subject how pleased with themselves must the board at Mahindra be with their decision to go for it where Formula E are concerned? A manufacturer most of the world hasn't heard of who are now one of the lead teams in a formula that is going to include all of the biggest names in car production!

They risked it for a biscuit and it paid off.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  4. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
  5. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I wonder how many of these incoming manufacturer teams are looking at entering as start up outfits or taking over existing teams? I haven't tracked the numbers but by 2019 we are looking at a 26 car grid at the moment aren't we?

6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    BMW are taking over Andretti for sure (involvement starts next year) but I got the impression that Merc would be a brand new team. No news on Porsche but if they were new that would take the grid to 24. Right from the start Formula E had said it wanted to stretch to 12 teams.

We have got two season before this though and the likelihood is one of the smaller teams might fall anyways. Teechetah are the only customer team.

teabagyokel and cider_and_toast like this.
  7. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives - I wonder if Dragon would be likely to look for a bigger (and more reliable) manufacturer than Faraday. Venturi don't seem to be getting much success or exposure out of the formula either.

I look forward to BMW taking over Andretti if only to banish their current mid-90s Minardi rejected livery from the grid. Although for the same reason, I can't really celebrate Audi taking over Abt.

RasputinLives likes this.
  8. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Took me a while to realise that Venturi were the same company that had a little dalliance with F1 through Larousse in the early 90's.

RasputinLives and teabagyokel like this.
  9. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    cider_and_toast - does this calendar work better for you?

More compact Season 4 calendar revealed – Formula E

Long off season this year. 4 months!

FB likes this.
  10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Getting better RasputinLives

Would love it if race 10 was announced as being in the UK and would still like to see no more than 3 weeks between each race. An improvement though.

11. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Jani to Dragon next season which is obviously him warming up for Porsche. I expect more LMP1 drivers to suddenly have an interest in Formula E as the close season progresses.

Porsche LMP1 ace Neel Jani to Faraday Dragon for 2017/18 Formula E

Sham about Duval though as I've always enjoyed watching him.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  12. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    So in season 5 of Formula E it look like they may introduce a competing type of battery. Standard lithium will of course be around but these new 'flow' batteries could also be allowed. Not sure I completely understand the tech(see below article) but they claim to have to be charged less and can run for longer.

CleanTechnica

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  13. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Interesting claims by the company. In another video they claim a car powered by the battery can achieve 380 km/h and up to 800 km in mileage.

14. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Lynn in at DS Virgin! Alongside Bird, as usual.

15. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Ideally for the last season of two car running it would be interesting if the cars could have a bit more of an option on when to pit. With the current battery life it's pretty much all in within a lap or two in the middle of the race. If the batteries could be made to last 2/3 of the race it would give cars an opportunity to run long or short stints and perhaps mix it up a little. Di Grassi's run in Mexico from an early pit stop remains one of the absolute classic FE races to date and I'd like to see a bit more of that strategy mix up in season 5. I do fear that when the series moves to single cars in season 6 it will lose a chunk of strategy options with all the cars gradually running down on power at similar rates. It is something that will need to be carefully looked at.

RasputinLives and teabagyokel like this.
  16. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Apparently Nelson Piquet Jr will be announced as a Jaguar driver in the next few weeks.

Also - why not have a go at designing Mahindra's logo?

Mahindra invites fans to design livery again

17. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Shit. Talk about mixed feelings. Love Jag. Jnr can stuff off.

I take it Adam Carroll will be looking for a new drive unless Mitch Evans has bagged a better seat?

18. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Yeah they've already announced that they've dropped Carroll. To be honest he didn't have a great year.

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    One plus point for you cider_and_toast is that I'm pretty sure Mitch Evans will stuff Piquet.

20. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I missed the Carroll announcement. It must have been in the stack of unread Autosport magazines that have built up at home.

Yeah RasputinLives Evans should stuff Jnr.

21. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    cider_and_toast this should interest you

Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy racing series to support Formula E next year | Autocar

I think this is the first of a couple of support series that might follow Formula E around which is good news spectators and the series alike.

cider_and_toast likes this.

Share This