First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team History

The Mercedes team history splits into two parts. In 1954 the famous pre-war Silver Arrows entered the F1 world championship and recorded a 1-2 at their first race. Fangio went on to win the drivers championship that year and again in 1955. Mercedes withdrew at the end of the 1955 season after the accident which killed 80 spectators at Le Mans which involved one of their cars.

The current team entered F1 in 2010 after Mercedes bought Brawn Grand Prix. Brawn Grand Prix, winners of the Drivers Championship, with Jenson Button, and the constructor’s championship in 2009, grew out of the ashes of Honda’s F1 entry after Honda had withdrawn from F1 at the end of the 2008 season after only a single Grand Prix win for Button in Hungary 2006.

Prior to the Honda takeover in 2006 the team had raced under the name of British America racing which had acquired the assets and race entry of the Tyrrell F1 team in 1999. BAR competed in 118 races without a single victory. The high points for the team were 2 pole positions (both for Button – San Marino 2004 and Canada 2005) and 2nd in the constructors championship in 2004.

Tyrrell were amongst the most successful private F1 teams taking part in 463 Grands Prix, scoring 33 victories and 3 Drivers Championships, all with Jackie Stewart.

Having replaced Button and Barrichello with Nico Rosberg and 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher many expected great things of the new Mercedes team in 2010 but they had an indifferent season.

Rosberg managed 3 podiums for the team but Schumacher, coming back from retirement, struggled with the new cars, tyres and limited testing under the revised regulations. The team finished 4th in the Constructors Championship.

For 2011 Mercedes retain the same driver line up and are hoping for better things from their MGP W02 chassis.

Agreed. I meant to add a question mark after the words, "Lauda mouthing off again" . He's opened his mouth a few times without thinking this season. I can think of two specific occasions. I think Toto is non too happy when he does it. I think he's called it ...unhelpful....or something similar.

Vettel has said he wants to be where Newey is.....(and don't bite my head off, he has said it)
Newey's contract runs out end of this year?
Hey .....

Newey to Merc would knock my pants off due to the fact Merc have already got Paddy Lowe, Ross Brawn, Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda. Newey (who lets face it can go where he pleases) would probably think that is too many roosters in the hen house and decide on somewhere lije now where he can have full control. I could be wrong but I think it is unlikely.

Not sure why anyone would bite your head off for the Vettel comment F1ang-o seems to make sense to me.

RasputinLives

I mean't ..don't shoot the messenger.....
It's probably 'much ado about nothing'...but hey the gossip keeps us going until the next race...:thumbsup:

Something I've said makes sense to you.....:shocked:......LOL

Lots of things you say make sense to me......just some don't so I ask about them. I'd do it with anyone who said something that doesn't make sense or something I disagree with so don't take any of it personnal.

As for Merc. I think they need to stop looking to pull the big names in for solutions and work with what they have. Its not like the talent isn't there.

Sometimes people ask questions that seem like aggressive demands.... emotions run high ....& heck.....we get het up sometimes.

Merc do have big names ....but I would love to see LH racing in an Adrian Newey car......I can dream....
AN seems happy at RB.....but you never know...

Mercedes would love to have a German winning the world title in their car and I have to be honest I don;t see that German to be Rosberg

Despite Nico beating Schumacher for 3 years and seemingly turning up a notch since Malaysia no pass orders. Nico is a good corporate person but I just don;t hear Mercedes people talking highly of him except Ross.
Vettel being the best German driver statistically around is an obvious choice - you know that is an interesting choice for Seb if he was given Mercedes or Ferrari who to choose against either one of the two best drivers around ?

Norbert previously spoke highly of Seb and certainly anymore rumblings at Red Bull might force an exit. I guess Mercedes need to outbid the others to get him

-----

As for Newey following Seb to Mercedes not likely to happen

I have read on other threads that Whitmarsh is not liked by many posters on here, but I would like to remind people that if it wasn't for Martin, Mercedes would not exist as a team if it wasn't for Martin....

In hindsight Martin would have been better off keeping his mouth shut and in that way McLaren would still be the works team, just one more thing that Lewis needs to thank Whitmarsh for....

I know that seems like a random thing to say, but it just popped into my head and it is the truth....

While we're on random, if Mercedes had a car of this pace in 2010, they'd have comfortably won both Championships. Unlike Lotus, they've built a fast car, but due to tyres, Lotus with a slower car are ahead while the Merc are falling behind

Also, would it be one Merc, two Merc or would two Mercs be alright?

Back
Top Bottom