First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team History

The Mercedes team history splits into two parts. In 1954 the famous pre-war Silver Arrows entered the F1 world championship and recorded a 1-2 at their first race. Fangio went on to win the drivers championship that year and again in 1955. Mercedes withdrew at the end of the 1955 season after the accident which killed 80 spectators at Le Mans which involved one of their cars.

The current team entered F1 in 2010 after Mercedes bought Brawn Grand Prix. Brawn Grand Prix, winners of the Drivers Championship, with Jenson Button, and the constructor’s championship in 2009, grew out of the ashes of Honda’s F1 entry after Honda had withdrawn from F1 at the end of the 2008 season after only a single Grand Prix win for Button in Hungary 2006.

Prior to the Honda takeover in 2006 the team had raced under the name of British America racing which had acquired the assets and race entry of the Tyrrell F1 team in 1999. BAR competed in 118 races without a single victory. The high points for the team were 2 pole positions (both for Button – San Marino 2004 and Canada 2005) and 2nd in the constructors championship in 2004.

Tyrrell were amongst the most successful private F1 teams taking part in 463 Grands Prix, scoring 33 victories and 3 Drivers Championships, all with Jackie Stewart.

Having replaced Button and Barrichello with Nico Rosberg and 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher many expected great things of the new Mercedes team in 2010 but they had an indifferent season.

Rosberg managed 3 podiums for the team but Schumacher, coming back from retirement, struggled with the new cars, tyres and limited testing under the revised regulations. The team finished 4th in the Constructors Championship.

For 2011 Mercedes retain the same driver line up and are hoping for better things from their MGP W02 chassis.

My two favourite drivers in one team! Guess next year I'll be a Mercedes fan of a now official Team Hamberg!

I think this is a very good move for both team and driver. And needed.

I'm with you. Although I think Perez is great, too, so I still have a reason to follow the McLaren team. Lewis, Nico and Ross is a dream team. I would speculate that along with Lewis remuneration, that there have been talks and agreements about Mercedes level of investment in the team. you don't bag a driver like Lewis without demonstrating a commitment to put everything into getting to the front. This is a BIG deal that, I am sure, goes beyond pay packets and sponsorship deals.

Unlike others, I don't think Ross Brawn and Hamilton are a good fit, I don't know why.

As for Lauda, he has been ultra critical of Hamilton in the past, calling for him to be sanctioned, banned, etc.

I'm not sure it's going to work out as well as some are hoping or expecting.

I'm not sure how Brawn and Hamilton will work out but I agree with you Brogan about Lauda. Lauda's time as team manager of Jaguar was pretty rubbish and ended in failure. In some respects Mercedes are a similar outfit being a high profile name with a sound financial base but a constant under achiever. Of course Jaguar lacked a truely world class driver which Merc now have. What exactly Lauda can add to that remains to be seen.

Oh dear, Lauda in the same team as Hamilton? :o

There may be some very strange dynamics that will occur. The good news is that Lewis and Nico can and will work together, I do hope the number one thing is a bunch of bollocks though.

Isn't Ross Brawn a massive fan of Jenson Button? dum dum dum!

I know what you mean Brogan about Brawn and Hamilton seeming an odd fit but I have a feeling the two of them will be able to work together on strategy in similar ways to Schumie and him. I think Lewis will have to get used to producing lap times when Ross tells him too but he's proved he can do that. I just worry whether the equiptment will be able to keep up with both of them!

As for Niki Lauda - as much respect as I have for him as a driver - I'm not really sure what he brings to the party.

The good news is that Lewis and Nico can and will work together, I do hope the number one thing is a bunch of bollocks though.

They can and will? Didn't Nico not join Mclaren because he didn't want to be paired with Lewis? I know they used to be buddy buddy but you don't see them paling around much now and I reckon Nico is gonna be peeved about this number 1 thing.

Has the number one issue been confirmed? I haven't read any articles on the move.

As for having number one and two drivers, didn't we all just have this discussion a day or two ago and said McLaren need to adopt that if they want to compete with Ferrari and Red Bull? ;)

I'm not a fan of it at all, but when other teams are throwing everything behind one driver, having an equal driver policy is never going to beat them, as we have seen with McLaren time and time again in recent years.

Its said in the BBC article Brogan but we've had no confirmation.

I don't think the issue is with Merc having an out and out number 1 but how Nico Rosberg will react to it after being told for the last few years they are def not going to have that policy.

Mercedes must not be able to believe their fortune this morning. What a coup for the Brackley boys!

I reckon Nico is gonna be peeved about this number 1 thing.

Probably as about as peeved as he was when he gave up the #7 to Schumacher this year, which is to say, he wont pay it any mind. Nico has always done his talking on track.

At the last race..LH was coming out of pit garage......TV (SKY I think) camera zoomed in on the Merc logo on Lewis' car...it had a 1 next to it.
I thought ...LH is hoping to take that WDC to Ross .....he didn't get it when JB jumped ship & left with his Number 1 to Macca........
LH sense of fair play..........it would be great to take that numero uno to Merc/Brawn.
LH should be leading the championship now...Macca have continually chased their tail....

Back
Top Bottom