Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

Heh, heh. By the time I read your idea The Artist..... I was loaded with cider and should really have been asleep! I took umbrage at having worked pretty hard to come up with a reasonable solution only to be told that, in effect, giving the reigning champ's an opportunity to have Pirelli make a tyre for them for the next season "make much more sense!" . Even framing it that way isn't very polite so you wouldn't have appreciated my knee jerk reaction, for sure.

For what it's worth here's a mild abridged version. Having played out a host of scenarios in my head for a 2014 season one was again dominated by Red Bull. In that one, everyone and their uncle accuse Red Bull and Pirelli of using the "champ' winning car to tyre supplier" arrangement to their own "financial and tactical advantage". No-one else appear to make the tyres work as well as Red Bull do and teams are pissed off that Red Bull save a load of dosh on entry fees to boot. By the time it transpires that it is all innuendo and crap F1 goes through a season full of political BS and International Tribunal inquiries with F1 looking as corrupt and fixed as ever. My head came up with a whole load of other problems with the idea but that is the main problem with it since it doesn't actually deal with the situation today and doesn't prevent a recurrence.

Next years cars will be quite different with the V6 turbo units having a big influence on chassis design as will whatever tyres are dished out to the teams. If Pirelli are going to remain neutral, and be seen to be neutral and fair, then they will need to gather data from all of the teams as they do now and try to engineer their tyres to provide a stable platform for all of them. Pirelli and the teams need a test regimen "in their back pocket" if unforeseen problems with a tyre compound or construction arise. What I mapped out in my earlier post was just one framework for tyre testing that deals with the crapola that's going on now.and would hopefully avoid it in the future.

Does anyone know how Bridgestone did it?

I mean, Bridgestone turned up race after race, with tyres which would last, on a one stop, how did they manage that? There must have been some sort of tyre testing going on, especially when they changed from grooved tyres to slicks in 2009.

I'm intrigued.

Ferrari and Bridgestone had and used virtually unlimited test time available to them at Ferrari's own Fiorano test track. Unlike the current remit to Pirelli, the emphasis of tyre development in those days was to achieve the maximum possible grip and durability. I'm sure that if Bridgestone, or Michelin for that matter, could have achieved the grippiest tyre that would last an entire race they would certainly have done so. It seems that was not possible at the time.

Fenderman

That was during the tyre war years, when Michelin were doing the same, I was referring to the changes for 2009 and 2010, where the test ban was in place, but significant changes were made to the tyres. They must have been tested, however, I am sure if this was all left to Ferrari at Fiorano there would have been some choice words said.

Korean company Hankook says they are not interested in being F1's tyre supplier

I really don;t see many options and think Pirelli will get the contract.

Bridgestones - still supporting Firestone with IRL I believe. They are happy making tyres for Moto GP as well which is probably cheaper

Goodyear - I don;t think they will do F1 for a while despite being the most successful
They are happy with Nascar

Michelin - they are happy doing Rallying tyres

I don't see anyone else wanting to follow after Pirelli because they really need to have been testing now

Last Friday Pirelli stated categorically that they only tested next years tyres now Paul Hembery is again saying that this years modified tyres were tested as well, Firstly if they aren't all singing from the same hymnbook how can we believe any of them and secondly is Mr Hembery actually trying to get himself the sack?

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...n-any-James-Bond-prizes-for-their-secret-test

Edit

I'm guessing citing James Bond shows that they definitely were trying to keep it secret..

Mephistopheles - Everything I've seen as been fairly consistent from Hembery. That testing was mostly next years tyres and a little bit on tyres they want to use this year. And, iirc, none on current/previous tyres (the earliest being those they wanted to use in Canada, now to be tested in Canada and hopefully used in Britain). If you could point me to the quote where he says differently I'd be grateful. The 'Mercedes didn't gain anything' line isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom