Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

I don't want to take up an entire page of my own on this subject, but for my full opinion, here's the post I wrote up a few days ago.
http://www.f1shift.net/2013/05/you-can-checkout-anytime-you-like-but.html
My biggest points are 1) Why would either party take the risk of keeping this test so hush hush and 2) This is now the perfect opportunity for the FIA to throw Pirelli under the bus and move on with Michelin, Bridgestone or Hankook (or all 3) in 2014. The FIA have looked so dumb this entire time with the tires and can now Pirelli have opened the door for blame and criticism to be fully placed on them. This was an extremely dumb move by all parties.

Seems like Pirelli have themselves covered. The only issue is the use of the 2013 car which according to Pirelli, Mercedes had asked FIA about the use of.

It looks like the FIA and Mercedes jointly decided on using the 2013 car. Presumably the FIA will disqualify themselves from any connection with F1 for the rest of the year. Strange how good things happen by chance sometimes.:)

Pirelli's statement to the FIA seems to dig them into a further hole
Delamination, which only occurred on four occasions and always because of on-track detritus, has never put the drivers’ safety at risk, but does risk harming Pirelli’s image. This is why the company decided to intervene.

But this is not allowed according to the rules. This would require all the teams to agree. This has not been achieved

The use of the car utilized by Mercedes, in particular, was the result of direct communication between FIA and the team itself. Pirelli did not ask in any way that a 2013 car be used:

So, Mercedes unilaterally decided to use a 2013 car. Therefore, not Pirellis fault, honest guv.

Mercedes informed Pirelli that its 2011 car could not be used and that it had already contacted Fia regarding the use of the 2013 car.

But that's not consistent with what the FIA have said...

It strikes me that Mercedes are being dropped in it big time, but Pirelli are also not squeaky clean either

A lot of this seems to hinge on what the FIA have said as well, which seems to be information we're sadly lacking. Naturally the Pirelli version makes out that all is above board but they do make mention of FIA communications which I'm not aware have been made available.

I'm sure this whole mess will get resolved quickly and easily as that is the FIA way of doing things...now just where is that sarcasm font?

There seems to be a lot of differences between the two tests, Ferrari didn't use a current car, they didn't use their race team to carry out the test they didn't use their current drivers and they didn't use a Ferrari F150 because it doesn't exist as an F1 car they used the F150° italia unless they meant that the test was carried with the new Ferrari F150 hypercar that hasn't been debuted yet or they used a Ford pickup truck, I think autosport should make sure they get their facts straight even in the tiniest detail otherwise people may not believe what they are printing...LOL

The whole dispute will revolve around the intention of the testing ban. Thus far all the complaints are centred on the assumption that the permission for Pirelli to instigate 1,000km tyre tests is the same as instigating car testing. Clearly the regulations were written to limit teams testing their cars predating, and without any consideration to, the emergence of the tyre issues and Pirelli's request for specific tyre tests. In other cases of "grey areas" in the rules FIA investigations have resulted in clarification of the rules and setting out associated penalties that will be applied for future transgressions.

It seems to me that there are two distinct kinds of testing and that the current regulations do not make that distinction. Unfortunately, Hembery's latest statements (other posters above have included links so check them out) have only served to sew more doubt. Earlier statements suggested that some 2013 tyres had been tested but now he says they were not. Such back-tracking and inconsistency of message will surely not help their case.

A way to resolve this whole thing, I suggest, is for a considered approach that will diffuse the current situation and remove the emphasis on a blame game. The FIA should at the very least confine any punishment to a slap on the wrist since their faffing around has not helped anyone including themselves. Most importantly the FIA, Pirelli and the teams must work together to come up with a clarification and refinement of the rules. They can do that by, among other things:
  1. Defining clearly two kinds of test: a) Car development tests and b) Tyre development tests.
  2. Setting out precisely who carries out the tyre test in terms that define a) what year of car cannot be used (easier than trying to come up with a complicated description of acceptable parameters); b) who is allowed to drive the car (i.e. reserve/test driver or regular race driver); and c) who runs it - as currently defined as Pirelli in the FIA memo but not exactly explicit in the existing regulations.
  3. Clarifying and setting out the exact process that the FIA wants Pirelli to follow with regard to recruiting teams for its tests.
Most of the issues above are to do with communication and openness. It's not rocket science and if I can think stuff up then so can they. Whilst the comedy is quite entertaining and keeps us occupied in between races it isn't actually very good. There are plenty of wreckers who are taking this opportunity and rubbing their hands with glee as they slag off each others favourite blokes. As we all know that can rub off on the powers that be who often knee jerk to popular opinion. Usually we wind up with distorted or even highly unjust decisions and a tarnished championship season. Quite frankly, although there have been relatively few of those, I've seen enough of them.

Note: The approach I have outlined above would set the parameters for any future tyre supplier as well, should the contract with Pirelli not be renewed.

Fenderman

Another alternative would be to say that the constructors champions had to give 1 of their chassis over to the tyre manufacturer for the following season.... (So Pirelli would have a 2012 red bull to play with)... Maybe with a waived entrance fee, or something..... That'd make much more sense!

Fenderman - no go on- that's just an idea I thought of..... The issue Pirelli have is that they don't have any contemporary cars they can use, so have to ask the teams for a car and driver. When they came in to f1, they had a Toyota, and then a Renault chassis, but these are now "too old"

If red bull handed over a chassis to Pirelli, then red bull wouldn't be involved in the running of the car, the "pirelli test team" could run it..... Jet an idea- I'm sure there are massive logistical issues with it!

Wouldn't the tyres then be optimized for the Red Bull chassis? Even though it's an old chassis, the new car is likely a development and hence the tyres could work better with Red Bull than with other cars.

Back
Top Bottom