Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

No need to change the pre-fix on this thread for the 2018 season!

Then presumably Renault, Toro Roso, Haas, Sauber, Force India and Sauber will also qualify for the same pre-fix?

Or could it be all down to the drivers?

McLaren's problem was that Ron thought the sun shined out of Alonso's a:censored:e they haven't made a decent chassis since 2012, they allowed Alonso to publicly trash Honda and did their best to get Button to retire for at least two seasons before he finally went. Perhaps if they shut Alonso up and let Button talk to Honda perhaps they may have had a better relationship and the progress may have been better, there again the Japanese do have a problem of thinking they are always right and are extremely set in their ways, they may know they are wrong but won't admit it, I know I worked for a Japanese company and they only admitted I knew what I was doing was the day I left, generally I didn't understand their system even though I could do things with it they didn't understand.

If the new car doesn't turn out to be any better than the current one, all it'll be good for is driving away another bunch of fans and sponsors.

Two words. Fall and guy. Mclaren appear to have been gradually slumping into a mess they can only see clearly now Honda is not around. I see a complete clear out and building up from the ground again coming. Probably best in the long run but now for sponsorship and Fernando Alonso!

Goss chap had been there for 28 years - maybe that’s just too long in one place, maybe he was the problem or a significant part of it, maybe if but who knows. He’ll get a nice payout after all that service anyway. Be interesting to see if he gets picked up by another team or not. Scrap that it’ll be dull either way, when’s the next race??

What a complete bunch of toss the whole team is now. From the giddy heights of the all conquering McLaren Honda team of the 80's through the superb team up with Mercedes in the 90's and early noughties to being the worst of the Renault powered teams on the grid today.

Alonso was about as close to DNF as you can get. That right rear rim wasn't making much contact with the track - he was scraping along - must have been very heavy floor damage. Then went from 17th to 7th, picking up six points more than either Red Bull, thereby demonstrating the value of at least finishing.

Or you could say that they were both in the points on merit, especially van Doorne who moved up from 13th to 9th because the team/he had the gumption to change tyres twice during the safety car duration so that he had fully warmed up tyres at the restart.

Alonso: Le Mans is my priority this season | PlanetF1

With FA saying stuff like this, essentially writing off this season already, WHY doesn't McLaren get rid of him?

On a number of occasions I have bemoaned the loss of the days when drivers competed in more than one competition, often on the same day. Now we get two drivers who do this, one (Hulkenberg) is praised, the other (Alonso). Why the difference?

No one has critised Alonso for running both series. The critiscm (as is always the case with Alonso) is his attitude within the media to his team when things aren't going as well as expected.

The only reason for him to come out and say Le Mans is his number one priority is to send a message to McLaren. Alonso has constantly used soundbites during his career to play mind games. My all time favourite was describing Massa as the ''quickest team mate he ever had' whilst Kimi was sitting next to him.

It creates a negative vibe within McLaren and frankly I'm not sure why they put up with it. If I was constantly slagging off the organisation I worked for in public I know I wouldn't be in the job for long.

Back
Top Bottom