Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

"I am extremely happy here and l believe we could have the package to win a championship," Alonso said at Monza.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

...as he started from the back of the grid.

Perhaps it has just dawned on Fernando that there isn't any other game in town for him as the only teams who would employ him are worse than where he is and would pay significantly less than he would expect to get.

I suppose Renault could give McLaren a year old engine, like Ferrari have with Sauber.

problem is that would still be quicker :D
--------------------------------------
heard mclaren engineer 15mins ago ask vandoorne "have you got vibration at high speed" shame they didn't ask alonso or maybe because he wouldve said "ill tell you if i get to high speed" :D

They say they've got the best chassis on the grid though it has never been tested at high speeds. LOL

Alonso and McLaren are the perfect match for each other both have made so many wrong decisions in the last few years.

Galahad
Mclaren are probably losing more because the HOnda engine keeps breaking meaning they are at least £40m down on the money from the constructors championship from where they should be and even more from not being able to attract sponsors anyway

They could finish 5th this season, with sensible power unit management. They're solid top 10 in Singapore.

My point being, that there isn't going to be that much in it for prize money, nor will they suddenly be sponsor magnets.

Last edited:
Andyoak - how do you propose Mclaren attract sponsors to the team if they have not got Alonso ? It does not appear Button who has a contract for 2018 wants to return unless Mclaren ask him to do a test after the season has ended with the Honda engine and have a rethink

There appears to be a clear divisionity between Mclaren and Honda now . Japan will be fun to watch if you are the opposition but it could be the most painful race for Honda to endure

Mclaren would consider building their own engines if the new regulations come in at 2021. Whilst Ron Dennis' ideals have screwed up Mclaren , Honda have to take a huge proportion of the blame because they just don;t seem to understand what needs to be done to get to the front and accept their methods don;t work

teabagyokel Mclaren have always fielded one world champion driver bar the barren period of 1994-1997 and 2002-2006 and if they lose Alonso - I don;t see how anyone wants to sponsor a bunch of also rans but apparently

McLaren set to divorce from Honda

They have a much better chance of getting sponsors with Alonso there then if he wast not driving for them

Off course if Fernando can keep his mouth shut during the race that might help

Last edited:
Off course if Fernando can keep his mouth shut during the race that might help

Yep, that'll help more than anything else.
Yes, we all get angry and frustrated at work; but if you want a pay cheque don't shit on your doorstep.

If Alonso is pissed off he should leave.

I've never managed to improve someone's performance through humiliation and bullying...

I don;t see how anyone wants to sponsor a bunch of also rans but apparently

They'll be also rans with or without Alonso unless there's a vast improvement in either the Honda or Renault engines.

I suspect Renault's patience with being beaten by their customers is soon to run out. The rationale was that they can't win as a customer team, which is as true as it ever was. And that time it was a Mercedes engine not F1's worst.

Back
Top Bottom