Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Anthony Hamilton always pulled for Lewis, ensuring McLaren didn't leave him out in the cold in relation to Alonso. Hungary 2007 comes to mind. It's understood that Anthony when to the stewards about Alonso's block. Had he not done that, Alonso wouldn't have got a grid penalty.

And Hamilton wouldn't have been ostracised by his team, Lewis still feeling the Alonso wrath 4 years later and McLaren may well have had the 2007 WCC. Of course it's only 'understood' though right?

Please tell me what McLaren have done to Lewis?

And please tell me how a manager would have have prevented a puncture, prevented the fuel hose from being faulty and prevented Hamilton from hitting Massa?

Bet he doesn't care! :D

That reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine back in 2006. I pointed out to him that Fernando Alonso is exactly 2 days younger than myself and we were sitting there watching him drive to his second world championship, he was due to leave to go to Mclaren in a contract worth millions and millions of pounds, he owned boats, helicoptors, cars and was adored by thousands of people. To which my mate said "Yeah but which of you is happy?"

After a couple of mins we both had to conlude it was most certainly him.

life sucks

I already said that a proper manager would have ensured that the team doesn't leave any stone unturned.

I cited Monaco and Singapore q3 as examples.

The other stuff you cite (puncture on a crub bolt and the like) is all rubbish and you know it.

A manager of an F1 driver ought to be much more than a guy who simply cuts promo deals and collects a percentage of the drivers contract.

A proper manager is a confidant, an advisor, someone who encourages when the chips are down, helps him focus on the moment at crucial points of the race weekends when there are too many distractions, pulls for the driver 100 percent within the team, minimizes the driver's distractions from the task at hand when too many rapper or sports stars are around trying take his time.

Anthony Hamilton is such a manager. Was such a manager to Lewis. Was there in the garage and in his life.

This Fullerton fella doesn't give one shit about anything other than the Dollar signs on Lewis' forehead.

In a swift change to the conversation - any news or hints on Mclaren's engine plans for the future? Stick with Merc or give it a go with their own?

Anthony Hamilton always pulled for Lewis, ensuring McLaren didn't leave him out in the cold in relation to Alonso. Hungary 2007 comes to mind. It's understood that Anthony when to the stewards about Alonso's block. Had he not done that, Alonso wouldn't have got a grid penalty.

Ray has a point here, the squeaky wheel always gets the oil

AH was despised by so many for being pushy and constantly watching out for his boy, this is what a good manager should do, any one seen the film Jerry Maguire? The suit should be jumping in front of trucks for his client, thats why he gets the percentage

Its hard to do this in a shark infested environment like F1 from a nice office miles away.

I have no doubt that if Lewis had someone like Ron or his father with an avenging physical presence in the garage, then this would translate to less errors for Lewis from the team.

This is from today's AUTOSPORT:

"His father Anthony Hamilton believes that management issues may be the key factor in the current troubles, as he thinks XIX Management should be giving him more support.
"His management need to do more," Hamilton's father told the BBC. "What I will say is look up the paddock; every driver that's got a driver manager, the manager is here [in Singapore] and in the driver's life.""

I cited Monaco and Singapore q3 as examples.

What happened in Monaco and Singapore Q3 specifically Ray that a manager could have solved?????

The other stuff you cite (puncture on a crub bolt and the like) is all rubbish and you know it.

What??

A proper manager is a confidant, an advisor, someone who encourages when the chips are down, helps him focus on the moment at crucial points of the race weekends when there are too many distractions, pulls for the driver 100 percent within the team, minimized the driver's distractions from the task at hand.

No, that's a mentor and a boss. A manager is there to cut deals/contracts, manage their diaries and bring in sponsorship.

Anthony Hamilton is such a manager. Was such a manager to Lewis. Was there in the garage and in his life.

Funny, I seem to remember when Lewis Hamilton was receiving pretty similar criticisms that he makes stupid mistakes and cracks under pressure that it was because he had his father there!

This Fullerton fella doesn't give one shit about anything other than the Dollar signs on Lewis' forehead.

Like with any manager that isn't your dad.

Exactly, It's just what Hamilton needs. Martin Whitmarsh is bound to listen to advice from the former manager of the Spice Girls.

I agree with this, I'm not sure exactly how Fuller has any idea how to manage the life of an active F1 driver with the complexities (especially contract wise) and commitments it throws up. He may have Beckham and Murray on the books but they don't have either the current sporting commitments or the worldwide appeal that Hamilton currently has.

I found it pretty telling that it was Anthony who went to the stewards with Lewis to apologize back in Monaco.

A good manager in F1 should put pressure on his drivers' team to do well for his driver. Somehow I can't see Simon Fuller doing that from his Hollywood (or whatever rich place he is located) office.

Mod comment

Can we please try and keep this above the personal. There is no need to suggest someone "knows better" just because there opinion isn't the same as yours. Posts in a similar vein will either be deleted or edited (as some of the above have been, in case you were wondering)

FB

If all contributors could please refrain from ask rhetorical questions in passive agressive style I would be grateful.

Please also note that this is the McLaren thread, but then I suppose all threads on here end up just being about Lewis Hamilton don't they.

FB

What happened in Monaco and Singapore Q3 specifically Ray that a manager could have solved???

No, that's a mentor and a boss. A manager is there to cut deals/contracts, manage their diaries and bring in sponsorship.

I would have made bloody sure Lewis got 2 runs in at both Monaco and Singapore. I'd have been right on top of the McLaren engineers and mechanics to ensure that Button wasn't the only McLaren driver doing two Q3 runs at those two events.

As per sentence two...

Well, then, Lewis needs a mentor manager and a boss manager who is there for him always and needs less of a guy who cuts deals and brings sponsorship.

Deals and Sposorships should be secondary to an F1 driver who already has money. The primary thing is maximizing on track results and success. The money will follow if you are seen as the best.

Right now I don't see Lewis as the best. If I were his manager, i'd be pulling for him and advising him much more than this Fullerton guy.

I agree with this, I'm not sure exactly how Fuller has any idea how to manage the life of an active F1 driver with the complexities (especially contract wise) and commitments it throws up. He may have Beckham and Murray on the books but they don't have either the current sporting commitments or the worldwide appeal that Hamilton currently has.

A company like Fullers should provide someone with racing knowledge and experience to be with him, just as they should provide a driver and a flunky if he needs his arse wiped. They should provide someone to do his shopping, walk the dog if any of these things will help their driver do better, and therefore earn more money, and then their percentage yields a bigger amount

Its not rocket science, his management company have screwed up

Lewis should hire a guy like Webbers black physio, who was always around him looking out for the backstabbers and encouraging him to try harder etc

Back
Top Bottom