Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

To be honest I think it's a bit of a misplaced notion anyway that Honda would particularly value drivers' "politeness" all that much. They're far more interested in winning.

We should know that from experience, when Piquet and then Senna formed close relationships with Honda. Senna in particular was very close to Honda's hierarchy. I'm pretty sure they valued his winning ways rather more than whether he was a civil interviewee.

Not sure how Piquet formed a close relationship with Honda but Honda thought he was one of the best drivers around then and assumed that Williams would sign him on the basis he would be No 1 . They were not impressed with Williams in losing the title to Prost in an inferior car.

So if Ron were to sign Alonso or Hamilton would there be additional expectation that they would be No 1 in the team

You forgot your usual line about how Honda like to sign Brazilian drivers because thats as good as a Japanese driver.

You forgot your usual line about how Honda like to sign Brazilian drivers because thats as good as a Japanese driver.

No I havent because Brazilians are regarded by some "Japanese" because of ancestry links .. no I don't think Honda will tell Ron to sign Bruno Senna !

In fact Honda could stump up some money for Ron to get ALonso that I would believe and obviously in return make him No 1 in the team

There is a link between the ancestory of Japan and Brazil. That is a fact. Its a fact that the two cultures are closely linked. Its also a fact that two Brazilian world champions have driven cars powered by Japanese engines. Unfourtunatly I think you've made a giant leap that one fact is linked with the other fact when there isn't an actual link.

I believe Ron would take Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel right now as he is under the illusion that Mclaren's poor performance is down to not having a big name driver. I believe Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel would all turn it down right now as they know the problem is translating car performance from the factory to the track.

Ron needs to concentrate on getting Honda in and sorting that out before all this 'big name' talk and concentrate on that. One of the biggest assests they have to work on this right now is a vastly experienced driver who has the advantage of having worked with Honda before called Jenson Button so alienating him with all this talk is not a great idea.

Right now Mclaren have an old hand and a potential quick youngster in their team. Bu the time Honda come in then it'll be a combination that has been with Mclaren for 12 months and should have established a healthy working relationship with them. For a team with a new engine supplier and looking to work their way back up the field I can't think of a better combination.

Ron should know (and probably does as I think all driver talk is just media games on his part) that to land the big names first you need the set up to land it. Time to work on that first me thinks.

-the closest Mclaren got to running a German driver were Nick Heidfeld being the test driver until Ron thought Kimi was better and on other possibilities Nico Rosberg...

So, what you're saying is that McLaren have a history of running drivers of the nationality of their engine supplier, on the proviso that said driver is the best option for the team anyway. I think that is what I'd tell Honda if I were McLaren too.

Don't think McLaren or Red Bull or Ferrari are duly bothered by a driver's nationality. If they're the best, then they'll suffice.

So, what you're saying is that McLaren have a history of running drivers of the nationality of their engine supplier, on the proviso that said driver is the best option for the team anyway. I think that is what I'd tell Honda if I were McLaren too.

Don't think McLaren or Red Bull or Ferrari are duly bothered by a driver's nationality. If they're the best, then they'll suffice.

Nope I did not say that ..I was just stating the closest Mercedes managed to force Mclaren to field a GErman driver was Nick Heidfeld --- lucky Ron made sure there was 50-50 agreement on how to move the team forward then

Ferrari - after the disasters of Capelli - it is believed that they should not throw Italian drivers behind the red car again... the disasters of Badoer and FIsichella seems to have proven that driven by today's regulations

Red Bull - won't go for the best .. they would rather go for someone out of their own academy .. that seems to be the Helmut plan all along

BAck to Mclaren... I'd say Honda might ask Ron convince them Mclaren are serious front runners ie sign Alonso and they will fund part of his salary

I believe Ron would take Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel right now as he is under the illusion that Mclaren's poor performance is down to not having a big name driver. I believe Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel would all turn it down right now as they know the problem is translating car performance from the factory to the track.

Ron needs to concentrate on getting Honda in and sorting that out before all this 'big name' talk and concentrate on that. One of the biggest assests they have to work on this right now is a vastly experienced driver who has the advantage of having worked with Honda before called Jenson Button so alienating him with all this talk is not a great idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Mclaren will get factory Honda support so whoever comes in has to make the most of it ( and right now) will be the only team using Honda engines for 2016 as well unless the new Haas team or one of the tail end teams will get HOnda engines

ALonso and Ferrari - I am not sure how long Fernando can accept them being so off the pace and disorganised and the noises seem to get louder that Ferrari will keep Alonso

- Fernando did not agree with Ron in the past but what guarantees are Ferrari making that they will have an even better car next season then?

Red Bull - won't go for the best .. they would rather go for someone out of their own academy .. that seems to be the Helmut plan all along

Yeah but your missing the point that the Red Bull academy take on the drivers they think are going to be the best and only promote them to the A team when they are the best. Since they've had Torro Rosso as a proving ground they've promoted 2 academy drivers to their A team. One of them is a 4 time world champion and the other got a race just 7 races into his first year. Not sure you can argue with that.

And yes Ron would take Alonso but I don't see Fernando going for it or Honda pushing for it.

RasputinLives - I should say the best currently in the field ie ALonso or Hamilton luckily for them (or Helmut) promoting Ricciardo seems to be vindicated

Like I said about Alonso if Ferrari are still in a mess and he starts labelling the car is a dump truck or a tractor... do you think he can stay in that team? 5 years at Ferrari without much sucess - only Schumacher , Massa and Barrichello have driven that long for the prancing horse

I see Honda definitely pushing for it ( they did consider him when he said he was considering leaving Mclaren)

I should add looks like Lewis Hamilton could go on top of the wanted list for Mclaren now Rosberg is tied to Mercedes for a few years and if their rivalry gets a bit nastier

Mansour Oujeh apparently has resumed his responsibilities as one of the key Mclaren shareholders. It could sent Mclaren into a power struggle between himself , the Bahrain owners and Ron Dennis.

It was Ron who regain control through a coup while he was having a double lung operation.

On the Brazil thing, we have the biggest community of Japanese outside of Japan. I do agree that this is pretty much an irrelevance at the moment though, unless there are some young Brazilians waiting in the wings for a rookie drive.

RasputinLives Do you think it will get better at Ferrari or worse then ? He has a clause where he can walk away if Ferrari are not top 3 in constructrors allegedly

Ron needs ALonso more than Alonso needs Ron / Mclaren

Also depends on what sponsors MClaren get as well to help entice Alonso

Back
Top Bottom